4.0 out of 5 stars DeLillo in Second Gear...
...which is still very good.
Most of the story takes place in a stretch limousine that Eric Packer, the main character, a Master-of-the-Universe, is driven around. He basically goes from one side of downtown Manhattan to another in search of a haircut. The journey is made more arduous than normal by a visit by the president and a public funeral of a rapper. Eric...
Published on 10 April 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Seriously despressing.
This book was interesting. However, I found the main character to be unlikeable, dispassionate, depressed and selfish. I found his life and his interests to be tedious and after a while the different people he met merged into categories of male, and 'potential to get in bed with'. In a sense, it was a horrible read. It left me feeling like society is broken (which in many...
Published 16 months ago by Millie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage., 15 Feb. 2012
F Drew (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmopolis (Paperback)
Easily the worst book I've come across in the last year. An unbearably pretentious novel; I refused to finish it and skimmed through the latter half. Delillo constantly plays about with sentence structure, and does it in a freakishly idiosyncratic way. The end result is confusing and intensely boring. This is not the work of a great writer, a strange claim made by some, but a meandering novel that an idiot savant might write! Endless words and passages written with no force or power and no real meaning; any meaning that does exist has to be deciphered like in an irritating puzzle. Delillo seems to think this is clever writing, but it is clearly just pure gimmickry, and fails to mask the fact that, as a writer, he has very few genuine ideas.
Dedicated to Paul Auster, who if I'm not mistaken, has himself, more than a few times been described as a great, literary charlatan!
Awful postmodern nonsense, and many Amazon reviews, of his other more well known books, seem to feel the same way...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced, 13 Sept. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Cosmopolis (Hardcover)
I'll keep it simple with and aim this at readers of other DeLillo books. I loved White Noise, enjoyed Libra, was astounded by Underworld and irritated by The Body Artist. I found Cosmopolis unconvincing. The great writing is all there but to little purpose. A minor work by a major writer.

1.0 out of 5 stars A few hours of my life I will never get back, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Cosmopolis (Paperback)
I really struggled to get to grips with this book. In fact it is possibly one of the most pretentious books I have read (in a reasonably well-contested field). I am sure that the nature of the characterisation of Eric Packer is an attempt to convey his cold, detached aloofness, but it becomes ridiculous. I just kept thinking that people do not talk to each other like this. It feels like a book that you could spend hours analysing for an English literature degree, possibly overlooking that fact that it is largely drivel. And they are making it into a film? I can't imagine how dull that is likely to be.

2.0 out of 5 stars Like running through quicksand at the beginning, 9 Mar. 2004
Mr. A. M. Crane "cranemillican" (Norther Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmopolis (Hardcover)
What happened to the Don DeLillo of Underworld, White noise or Libra? The beginning of the novel tends to drag and then drag and then drag some more. Is the main character likable? There is a love hate relationship here, but then again, can you really like some one who has it all but doesn't have enough? It was not until the second half of the novel that it pick up and brings the reader to an exciting climax. If you have the patience to get through the first 100 or so pages, then you will find an intriging and though provoking book that makes you really think of what is really important in life - and it is not what you'd think it was. For a short novel of 209 pages, it was really a chore to get into it. It didn't have the same energy as Underworld that wouldn't let you put it down - I read 5 other books just to avoid this one. The sad thing was, once you got passed the quick sand, the book was almost over and you wonder why you worked so hard.
The only thing that I can say is: Don't loose heart, it does get better!

3.0 out of 5 stars Erm, OK, 24 Aug. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Cosmopolis (Paperback)
Having failed to get started with Underworld a couple of times, I thought I'd try this seemingly much more accessible Delillo as a starting point. It's not terrible, and is a fairly stimulating 'day in the life' snapshot, but it took me two weeks to get through it, as it kept sending me to sleep at night.
It is exceptionally well written, but I would agree that it's not too engaging - you just don't care what happens to the disillusioned ultra rich central character, even more so when things start to get a little silly towards the end that you've been told is coming.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gloomy, boring, ultimately timid., 14 Sept. 2011
M. N. Dixon - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmopolis (Paperback)
I read this book when it first came out and had never previously read Delillo. It is a measure of this book's literary worth that I never went back to read any other works of Delillo. Cosmopolis? Tossmopolis!

3.0 out of 5 stars it's an ok book, 19 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Cosmopolis (Paperback)
I bought this book back in 2010 when I heard a movie was being filmed based on its story. It's a very well written book, and interesting story... nothing much to it, I say. I believe there are better DeLillo books out there. Yet, if you are a fan of the authors work, it is a must have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretencioso y aburrido., 3 May 2013
This review is from: Cosmópolis (Perfect Paperback)
Este libro es una historia ridicula con pretensión de creativa y crítica social. No es uno ni lo uno ni lo otro, es un libro hecho para transformarse en película de cine. No hagan rico a este escritor comprando este libro ni pierdan tiempo leyendo esta imbecilidad

1.0 out of 5 stars Just did not do it for me, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Cosmopolis (Kindle Edition)
This just never seemed to get there for me. It certainly did not fit the sci if label I was expecting.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cosmopolis
Cosmopolis by Don DeLillo (Paperback - 4 Mar. 2011)