Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 28 September 2013
First off, I loved this book and had to devour it at one sitting. The previously hyperviolent story of Alan Saul, The Committee and Serene Galahad gets into the endgame for one side or the other, and Saul opens the story on Mars where he is effecting the rescue of his sister Var.

From there we launch into an intelligent, deftly plotted chase round the solar system as both sides prepare for what is obviously going to be a final confrontation. Saul with his growing spaceship and Galahad with the resources of a cowed Earth to bring to bear on him.

One aspect of Neal Asher's talent at hard sci-fi like this is that it is believable, paced beautifully and has all the requisite gory battle sequences that one would expect. Jupiter War doesn't disappoint; in fact it introduces some deft tricks towards the end that are obviously the product of informed imagination. I won't say what as that would be a huge spoiler!

There is also a supporting cast who occasionally plot against their relative superiors, as well as one or two people who may not be quite all they seem. The side story of Messina clone Alex is one such example as that young man finds himself in the situation where his life needs totally re-purposing and the blocks installed in his mind are slowly removed so his past can break through.

Great Science Fiction as I have come to expect from Mr Asher, this time with plenty of intrigue and the odd red herring. The ending leaves it open to continue the Owner story forwards, giving Neal two discrete universes in which to tell his stories. Excellent read but make sure you read the first two volumes to ensure maximum enjoyment!
on 17 September 2015
I read this one with great expectations, unfortunately it appears to be a bit rushed for the story line and then the usual padding out of descriptive scenery. Now don't get me wrong I really like this author a lot, but that being said, I was hoping for more. It just didn't seem a good ending for the trilogy, sorry.
on 10 June 2014
I generally like and recommend Neal's books , especially the Cormac and Prador ones. This trilogy is a major disappointment , slow, turgid and full of two dimensional characters . I am struggling to get through the last book .Hopefully his next books will be a return to form
on 2 October 2013
I am a big fan of Neal Asher's books, so inevitably any review by me could be rose tinted. I'll try and keep that in check...

However I can assure you that this is a cracking ending to the three books. I did wonder how Mr Asher was going to fill the pages of a third book, as everything seemed pretty near to some sort of resolution after the second book.

This book manages to bring together some intelligent plotlines on Earth, Mars and the station, and weave them into an exciting and satisfying ending.

The problem with a lot of trilogies or series of books is that the ending is somewhat disappointing and sometimes somewhat rushed or contrived. This is not the case with Jupiter War.

Well paced (I did find Zero Point dragged a little sometimes), intelligent plotlines, good hardish sci-fi, tense and exciting battles.

Let's face it, if you have read the first two you are going to buy this book, but if you have not read the first two please do so in the happy knowledge that the third book in the series is very good indeed.
on 22 December 2014
Excellent. Neal Asher is one of my favourite authors. This is quite different from a lot of his other books and some of the characters are quite uncomfortable but it is also and interesting view (if a very extreme one) on what resource disputes could look like in the future.
on 6 November 2013
I can't really say what I want here without spoiling the book for others, so I will compromise by saying it was a great book that kept me up very late at times but then ended before I thought it should... I hope there is more to come, but not from within the Sol system.
on 7 November 2013
I loved the first book but i find i'm reading this just to get to the end not so thrilling.
However neal asher does inject many points to ponder on the state of the human race politic and other thought provoking ideas.
on 25 October 2013
Accepting that it's a two dimensional universe and story, much less fleshed out than the Cormack universe, it's still a great action read for Asher fans and if you're a sci fan addict who's not tried Asher yet, it's still a must read.
on 23 March 2015
Excellent Author, brilliant Ideas and great reading.
on 20 October 2013
There were enough hooks in the first book to encourage me to get Zero Point and then Jupiter War, but after the initial set up of a Committee owned distopian earth, and a man becoming something far more as ComLife, I found JW a little dry. There were some excellent ideas, but the whole thing was really a good description of building a new spaceship and robots, and so overall the series dried out. Hamilton does better, more engaging SF trilogies

(I will still probably read about Saul and his further adventures, if there are any)