5.0 out of 5 stars The loveliest Christmas treat
Published on 7 Nov 2005 by samanthasissons

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty But Not Much Content
The gorgeous cover art lured me in...and it was a sweet story but I do kind of wish I had bought a Terry Pratchett book instead for the same price. This is something you read once and forget about. Still, I like to own beautiful books with illustrations and this is very pretty.
Published on 9 April 2012 by Anna Clare

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The loveliest Christmas treat, 7 Nov 2005
I've already bought this wonderful book for my children's stockings. But I partly got it for myself (!) because it's something that I could happily read to them time and again. Carol Ann Duffy's reworking of the classic poem 'A Night Before Chirstmas' is brilliant. It's sweet and magical but also witty, modern and deep. I can imagine it becoming a bit of a Chirstmas ritual as each year my kids return to it they'll get more out of it. The illustrations are gorgeous too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, 15 Nov 2005
By A Customer
There really is something for everyone in this book - a heart-warming poem that brings a modern twist to the traditional old favourite 'A Night Before Christmas' and fantastic illustrations with great detail and subtle humour. It is already a firm favourite with my children - and it will make the perfect Christmas gift too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Rob Ryan fans, 11 Jan 2011
D. Ariyadasa "wannabedylan" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Night Before Christmas (Hardcover)
An absolute gem of a book and a fantastic stocking filler. For those that love Rob Ryan this is a dream pairing. Carol Ann Duffy's beautiful turn of phrase coupled with Ryan's magical illustrations makes for a wonderful reimagining of the popular classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely gift!, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: Another Night Before Christmas (Hardcover)
Have bought these as gifts for colleagues at work. Wonderful work by Duffy, with illustrations provided by the excellent Rob Ryan. Very nice paper quality. A fantastic gift at this price. I'd be really pleased to get one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas is coming, 5 Nov 2011
This review is from: Another Night Before Christmas (Hardcover)
Clocks have just gone back so its time to think Christmas. Last year I was given this charming cosy echo of ideal Christmasses past and it was a surprising treat. Bridging the gap between the era of gaslight and our days, a very enjoyable seasonal treat. It will be on my shopping list for gifts for others this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A piece of History, 31 Oct 2006
J. E. Marshall (UK) - See all my reviews
Ok I admit i'm english and therefore some of the rhymes within this poem don't work with my accent, but I don't care. Here is an updated version that I feel will hold it's own and in years to come be used in schools around the world to show what the beginning of the 21st Century was like. Although the poet is clearly writing the same sort of story as the original "Night before Christmas", she interjects a real feeling of our time. The sense of a lack of faith and disillusionment that we have, and with her words re-lights those old feelings of wonder and belief that stir in all of us. The references, to tv's, malls, mobile phones, cash points give such a clear image of life today that i am sure it's recording future history in an engaging way. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Christmas Poem, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Another Night Before Christmas (Hardcover)
This is a modern reinterpretation of the poem 'Twas the night before Christmas', and reading this is a lot more enjoyable if you have read the original.

This poem has the same humour and lyrical rhyme scheme as the original, but is modernised and talks about TV and celebrities. The plot is a girl who sets out to find if Santa is real, (anymore would spoil it), and the story is so charming it made me feel very christmasey.
The illustrations, (see below), are simple but very beautiful, they are black silohettes on white, so it looks almost like shadow puppetry.

All in all this is a tiny book which makes it a perfect stocking filler and I would recommend it as a Christmas gift for the children in your life or just the adults who get irrationally excited by the magic of the season, (like me).

Also there is no mention of any religion in the poem, so would be an equally good gift for an atheist who celebrates Christmas and a Christian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful re-working, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Another Night Before Christmas (Hardcover)
A very traditional poem brought right up to date without losing any of the original charm and adding touches that make it resonate for a new generation. The illustrations add hugely to the charm - and the size is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Christmas Poem, 23 Nov 2010
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Another Night Before Christmas (Hardcover)
Carol Ann Duffy here gives us her poem on a girl who tries to stay awake all night to see if Father Christmas is real. A short poem which has been beautifully illustrated by Rob Ryan, children are bound to love this, and so will adults.

This is ideal to read to little ones, and then us they grow older, read themselves, and then when they have children, the whole process starts again. This is ideal as a stocking filler for children and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Another Night Before Christmas (Hardcover)
Thank you again for a book that was in perfect condition, packed to perfection and delivered on time. What more can you say but thanks again for a lovely book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Another Night Before Christmas
Another Night Before Christmas by Carol Ann Duffy (Hardcover - 5 Nov 2010)