5.0 out of 5 stars Let it Shrine
Published on 2 May 2007 by Sam Tyler

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice one
Good book defo worth a read ul enjoy it and it is a bit freaky too i liked this one alot u will too
Published 6 months ago by jonny

5.0 out of 5 stars Let it Shrine, 2 May 2007
This review is from: Shrine (Paperback)
Some books have flaws, but I really still enjoy them. 'Shrine' is one such book. Fenn is your typical local town reporter and he does not think anything exciting is going to happen on his night shift. This can't be further from the truth when he stumbles across a small girl lying in the road. She takes him to a strange tree and turns and speaks one sentence; nothing odd about this? It turns out that Alice is a deaf mute and that her talking is a miracle. Alice becomes increasingly drawn towards the tree and slowly a following of people gather to see her. It seems that she can harness the power of Mary to heal the ill, but is this a divine power for good or evil?

I really enjoyed the concept of 'Shrine' as it was not only a horror thriller, but an interesting discussion how religion and the media would treat a modern miracle. The book does feel a bit dated, but the core still holds up really well. I found the gentle pace matched the story perfectly and that the action set pieces in particular were described well.

I can see why some people find this book average as the pace is slow, it's dated and the middle is better than the end. However, for me the central threads of the story make it a lot better than its parts and it made me think about the story long after I finished reading it. This is the best complement that I can give a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic novel of building tension and nail biting suspense, 26 July 2009
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shrine (Paperback)
First published in 1983, Shrine was the ninth novel of Herbert's to be released. He was already a very well-established horror writer, with a collection of classics of the genre under his belt. Shrine runs for 544 pages (epic for our Jim), which delivers a tale of horrific suspense. The novel takes a break from Herbert's splatterpunk roots, instead opting for a more atmospheric and haunting approach. The plot gradually unfolds throughout the novel, building up the suspense from the start. The characterisation is carefully constructed, bringing about a convincing hero character, Fenn. Herbert examines and develops on the conflicts between the religious organisations and the commercial world that we live in with an intelligent and thought-provoking manner. The book builds towards a massive finale which is where the book fails for me. The ending, (don't worry, I won't give it away) although thought-provoking and unexpected, left me feeling cheated. The tension towards the end is outstanding as Herbert has built the novel up to a peak, but it really fails to deliver a conclusion worthy of the build up. Our hero character who has led us through the novel seems to be more of a by-stander at the end rather than involved. Once the novel was finished, I was left in a haze of unrewarded emotions about the book, wishing that the ending had offered me something more to chew over.

Although this review has come out very negative, I must emphasise that it is still an enjoyable read. Ok, I felt cheated by the ending, but the tension created by Herbert's build-up is outstanding. The whole novel is extremely well written, creating a haunting atmosphere that is a pleasure to immerse yourself within.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 out of 4, 25 Oct 2012
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shrine (Kindle Edition)
The first thing you need to know about this book is that it is one of James Herberts' longer and wordier books. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two thirds of the book, but my attention really waned after that and I had to force myself to continue reading. The problem was that as the book went on the author seemed to get more and more verbose and I found myself skimming through large sections of the book - for example, I must have clicked the page forward button on the kindle 7 or 8 times just to bypass a section where Gerry Fenn was parking his car. There were also a few other people in the book (Paula springs to mind) who were mentioned at the start, maybe in one chapter, who we never met again until the end and it seemed to me that they just acted as filler characters and didn't really add anything to the story.

The story itself I enjoyed and really got into it during the first two thirds of the book, it is a classic James Herbert storyline - this time it is a young ambitious journalist investigating what appears at first glance to be the miracle healings that are being carried out by a young deaf-mute girl, Alice. We see the whole media frenzy that ensues and the reader does get caught up in the whole circus. Of course what we have is something far more sinister and evil than people can imagine.

To sum up, a good story which was, for me at any rate, a little too verbose and dragged on a tad in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars S/King book, 6 July 2014
Typically good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
as says

5.0 out of 5 stars Shrine, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shrine (Kindle Edition)
Always liked the slant James Herbert took when dealing with horror and the paranormal. It's a good read though in this instance the ending leaves you with a feeling that the latter part of the book was rushed

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shrine (Kindle Edition)
A good story, just wanted to keep picking up the story to see how it ended. I always enjoy James Herbert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geat scary novel, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Shrine (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book as a gift for my dad and he was really thrilled with the book. James Herbert books are really good because the descriptions that James uses in his novels, really draw you into the story. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 8 April 2014
This review is from: Shrine (Kindle Edition)
Kept my attention completely! Excellent book. I first read this book when it was first published in paperback, technology advances, James Herbert needs no improvement.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Shrine (Kindle Edition)
i was trying to get to the end of this book for weeks and i do mean weeks it was sssso drawn out and so very churchy i just could not even finish it.

Shrine
Shrine by James Herbert (Paperback - 5 July 2012)
5.59