Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2013
My first read of his outside of the 2 trilogies, and I was not disappointed. Recognizable style, great techno-imagination, and the plot all came together at the end tying up all the loose ends.
on 20 March 2015
Would have given higher but the long descriptions of the equipment were tedious, the story it's self was a good plot. You cut this down by 50% if just kept to the plot line
on 7 January 2013
Mr Hamilton does the business again. A great read, fantastically woven into a world that is believable. Can't believe this author never had a movie deal
on 26 December 2012
Very well written story. Recommended if you like a decent length novel to get your teeth into. First of this author's work I have tried. Will read more.
on 8 January 2013
If your familiar with the authors books you know what to expect, if your not this is a good one to start with.
A highly recommended read
on 16 January 2013
Really enjoyed this read. Complex characters, different worlds and seemingly unlinked plots. Very pleased I picked this one up at last.
on 20 October 2012
Best book in a long while, Hamilton spin an epic, convoluted yarn across multiple worlds, at times a thriller, others a murder mystery, yet others reminiscent of the march of the 10,000 back through hostile lands to their home in Greece. Although its a stand alone book it feels like i've read a series of books, whilst some plots turns were predictable there were many that were a surprise keeping the book as a firm page turner, or in my case button presser on the kindle :P The book is a return to form for Hamilton and to me is one of the best alongside the Greg Mandel series. Recommended reading !
on 20 December 2012
I absolutely loved 'Great North Road'. I simply did not want to put it down at any point during the book. I was completely engrossed by the story and characters. I have read most of PFH's other work and enjoyed it but this has been my favourite book of his to date.

The characters were all accessible and believable, even those that were less obviously the good guys. The back stories were fed in slowly, piece by piece, building up the overall picture. Right up until the very end, I was still guessing at what was going to happen (and what HAD happened that led to that point). The story was wrapped up in a coherent and fitting manner.

I won't reiterate the plot line here suffice to say the story is set in a well created and thought out near future, partly on earth and partly on other worlds. I would say to non-sci fi readers that the book is accessible and not heavy going on that front - it's part sci fi and part detective novel.

I highly recommend this book.
VINE VOICEon 8 December 2012
Newcastle 's police department is very busy in the distant future. Because human nature being what it is, the crimes and the crime rate are the same as now. Ruthless millionaires, interplanetary corporations, petty criminals and dangerous aliens keep the detectives busy.
This book follows several people whose lives are impacted by corporate machinations across planets and alien threats.
The stories are well told and draw you in, it is easy to identify with the characters. I also like the overall tone of the book, which might be characterized as realism without losing sight of the dreams. Good descriptions of future technologies and the alien encounters, but mostly it is the human stories which make this a good book.
Minor niggles are the use of an (in my view) unlikely expletive and northern idioms (calling everyone pet). It's overdone, in my view, but who knows, maybe the people of Newcastle all say: crap on it, pet, in the 22nd century.

This book is
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2012
Peter F. Hamilton has a lot to live up to in my expectations. I rate the Night's Dawn Trilogy as possibly the best book I have ever read and certainly the most pages turned without eating or sleeping. Everything he writes has a high bar when I read it!

I found the Edeard (Void) books a little disappointing but from expectations more than real quality. Certainly as good as most authors I read, just not vying to be the best ever!
The same could be said for the common wealth, eagerly awaited but not as good IMHO as the Nights Dawn!
His smaller Novellas I have also enjoyed but they are just so tiny compared with a full space opera.

Great North Road was a great read and although set in near contemporaneous time by comparison hard me turning the pages as I did on the Nights Dawn. The book is significantly longer than the smaller novellas and as always for Peter is all internally consistent. A great return to SciFi and a great read.