5.0 out of 5 stars Not what i expected
I have just finished this book and what a surprise! It is not what I expected I did not really like Alan Sugar before I read this book, but I found this book absolutely fascinating I could not put it down Its one of the best autobiographies that I have read it just shows you there are 2 sides to every story especially regarding Terry Venables what sly and corrupt person...
Published on 11 Nov. 2010 by holidaytommy

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly needs an editor
Published on 7 Feb. 2013 by Sue Denham

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 11 Nov. 2010
This is one of the best autobiographical books ever, have laughed all the way thru, even in his darkest times his humour shines thru, he is a true claptonian - (i was brought up nearby), he shines as a family man and is a genuine example of an entrepreneur - you couldn't make it up. What a great read. Well done Alan Sugar you deserve to be where you are. SK, Middlesex

5.0 out of 5 stars A true inspiration from a truly great man, 2 Nov. 2010
Lord Sugar gives so much insight into his life in this great book, from how he started as a child selling fire sticks to how he created and now runs a multimillion pound company. And he gives a lot of detail of the journey on the way to the success. I couldn't put the book down once I got it, it was intriguing as each page gives you exclusive access into the life of Lord Sugar and you learn an whole new element of respect for a man who as achieved so very much. And his achievements are just not financial, he tells a lot about his family and his relationships with those close to him and from reading this book you will see a whole new side to a man who is so very often portrayed in the media as being a hard nosed no-nonsense business man. This is a book that everyone should read at some point as it is a true inspiration, not just from a business point of view either, there's a lot of moral and life lessons in this book also, I just wish it was written sooner :) I'd just like to thank Lord Sugar for making time in his busy life to write such a fantastic book and I hope that he writes another one in the future :) I'll certainly be buying it!!! Certainly worth 7 stars but unfortunately Amazon only allows me to put 5 :/
Buy it now!!!!!!!!! You will not regret it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly needs an editor, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography (Paperback)
Apparently, Alan Sugar hates wafflers. After slogging through over 600 pages of this, it seems it takes one to know one. Books often suffer because of a lack of detail but in this case there is just far too much of it. Some information, like accounts of Terry Venables financial skulduggery to raise funds for his takeover at Tottenham, is highly relevant. Much more - technical minutiae about his various products - is tedious and mind-numbingly complex and some - such as conversations he had with his production staff on "The Apprentice" - is simply unnecessary. I could have done without knowing that Ricky Gervais waved to him at the BAFTAS or the entire page he devotes to a disagreement he had with his gardener over a tree. By insisting on including so many trivial anecdotes like this the narrative is turgid and never picks up any momentum. It's a pity because there is definitely a great read in here somewhere, probably around two-thirds the length and with a ghost writer (he wrote it himself, I'm told) capable of expressing Sugar's thoughts in a more fluent and articulate manner which really captivates the reader. As it is, this book never rises above the mediocre and frequently fails even to do that. A missed opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars sparkling inspirational insightful must read just buy it, 14 Nov. 2010
the fact your looking at review shows you are slightly interested, a fantastic story, inspirational you will not regret buying this - its an investment! If you are starting out yourselves read the book and save making same mistakes. Alan (very shy as a youngster) comes across with honour and integrity but also a delboyish sales drive. not surprised he is made a lord and lectures at the top unis. He's that instinctively a salesman I would'nt be surprised if hes written his own amazon review! =)

4.0 out of 5 stars No spoonfuls of sugar here, 9 Nov. 2010
This is a very easy read. Written in a conversational mode, I got the impression of an honest review of Alan Sugar's life. Although not coming over, on his own admission, as a sociable or friendly person, I found myself admiring his business acclomplishments from a small-time trader to corporate status. Few escape his criticism (often with bad language)which serves to emphasise his cockney/East End/Essex background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, 25 Oct. 2010
I have loved reading this book. I really recommend this to anyone and its really an insite of great youth spirit to a millionare ambition! good luck Lord Sugar you are great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest Account, 7 Nov. 2010
I wasnt quite sure what to make of Alan Sugar, my only knowledge of him being from the media and seeing him on TV. But after reading this book he comes accross as a decent, honest and quite a nice man. He admits that he is not perfect and like us all he has his faults. But this is a very honest and detailed account of his life and I found it very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sugaring The Pill, 26 Jan. 2013
T. T. Rogers - See all my reviews
This review is from: What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography (Paperback)
A meeting is convened in the boardroom of Amsbooks. Chairing the board is Lord Sugar himself, flanked by his two advisers. On the other side of the table nervously sits an Amazon reviewer, T. T. Rogers.

Sugar, dressed suavely in a tailored suit, leans menacingly towards his victim, then thunders: "The reason I've called you in is I don't like the look of this review you've written of my book."

"Well, I..."

"I don't like schmoozers, I don't like marketing types and I don't like this review. What do you mean when you say, 'The title of the book is a little banal but it's Sugar through-and-through. In many respects, Sugar embodies an outmoded and outdated mentality in business, but his quality of talking straight is refreshing'."

"Well, admittedly Lord Sugar I am known for my forthrightness, but I would have thought that's an attribute you would appreciate."

"Appreciate? Listen sonny, the only thing appreciating round 'ere is the bottom-line, and if you don't say something quick, you'll be appreciating in a taxi home."

"Well, it's a very good book. It just needs some tweaking here and there."

"What do you mean, tweaking? I've been in business now for forty-odd years. You look like you've never done a hard day's work in your life. When I was your age, I was out driving a van flogging tut. You've read the book, aintcha? I don't need to take lessons from a skinny little posh twit like you."

"Well Lord Sugar, all I'm suggesting is that 'It Does What It Says On The Tin' might not be a good title for a book. I mean, I know this book is a straight-forward, lucid and comprehensive account of your life, no holes barred, and in my opinion well-worth a read, but the title needs a bit of work that's all."

"'It Does What It Says On The Tin'...?!...Who thought that up? I can't have that as the title. These Amazon reviewers will kill me when they see that. Do you know how many times people use that stock phrase on Amazon alone?"

"Quite a few every day I imagine..."

"Do I look like a tosser to you?"

"Well...er..."

"I pay marketing idiots like you to sort this stuff out. What 'ave you been doing for the past week apart from writing prissy-wissy reviews on Amazon?"

"OK, well, what about this for a book title: 'What You See Is What You Get'...?"

"Ah, now that's more like it."

"Glad you approve, Lord Sugar. Now, about that job...?"

"Say no more kid, You're hired!"

4.0 out of 5 stars You certainly GET it with this book!, 4 Nov. 2010
The size of the book indicates that Alan Sugar takes himself seriously in terms of ensuring that every last detail is included in its pages. In fact, if anything, this is the problem - the technical details of some of his products tend to become a little long winded. That said however, the book is definitely written in the manner in which he comes across in The Apprentice - forthright, no flies on him and truly 'what you see is what you get'. Whether you love the man or hate him he has to be admired for his tenacity and determination as well as his ability to read people. Whilst clearly not overly happy out of his environment as is shown by how he battles with anything non Western when visiting the Far East, he still seems to have managed to scrape through without causing offence there. No easy task.

The book is certainly an inspiration for those who desire to succeed and his memory for events is nothing short of startling. For those who enjoy understanding how a successful entrepreneur ticks, this is your book - I enjoyed it's insight into the mind of a fascinating man.

5.0 out of 5 stars FIRST CLASS BOOK, 25 Oct. 2010
D. Frazer - See all my reviews
Lord Sugar deserves everything he has accomplished,this guy shows what can be done with hard graft,the book is first class,i could not put it down.
Darren Frazer

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography by Alan Sugar (Paperback - 6 May 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01