Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 November 2012
My first thoughts about this book were a little too 'lead you by the hand' and spelt things out a bit too much. I am astute enough to understand the nuances in the story without having everything explained in detail and there was a little too much fine detail which explained the number of pages it contained! Having said that I enjoyed the story line and liked the characters but just knew who the baddie was early in the book and would have been very let down by any other ending. The story moved well once I started to skip some of the finer details of scenery and technical facts about jet planes! It improves as it goes along and I'm glad I stuck with it. I can't decide if it was mediocre and perhaps a bit amateurish or excellent. I'll probably try another book by this author to follow the characters, who I liked. It's definitely worth a read.
on 24 July 2011
All the elements of a good Baldacci novel are present in THE SIXTH MAN but somehow they just don't come together quite as well as in some of his previous books. There is the usual secret service goings on and their questionable actions which leave you wondering who is in the right and who's on who's side. The two main characters Sean King and Michelle Maxwell are both ex-secret service who share a common link that draws them together and sparks romance. Working as PIs they are hired to help in the defence case of a serial killer. When his attorney is murdered they uncover some alarming facts and find themselves against mysterious and far superior forces. The writing is sharp, the action gritty and the story interesting as we follow the couple on their journey which makes this an enjoyable read. It just lacked a little bit of suspense in the way that it was revealed. Still one I would recommend as un-complicated and fun read.
on 7 November 2011
"Michelle moved, but not quite fast enough. The blow glanced across her forehead and dug into her ear. She twisted sideways, found purchase on the asphalt path, pivoted, setting her weight on her right foot, and launched a kick to her attacker's left knee.
Michelle Maxwell loved attacking knees. It was the largest joint in the body where four bones - the patella, the femur, the fibula, and the tibia - all came together like a highway interchange and were held together by an array of ligaments, muscles, and tendons. It is one of the most intricate parts of the body and critical for mobility.
Michelle destroyed it."
The Sixth Man

I heard an interview with David Baldacci on the BBC Breakfast recently and I thought his 'new' book sounds interesting.

I had previously seen his books as I browsed the shelves before but I never got round to actually picking one up for a flick through. Having said that, on the strength of the interview I thought it might be worth a go. Mr Baldacci seems to be a bit of a prolific author and "The Sixth Man" is No 5 in his King and Maxwell series of books about the lives of two ex American Secret Service Agents, both of whom have been fired for losing the people they were protecting.

I have not read any of the previous novels and I may well do as I found that this was a good read.

A Good Read was what it was and there were many twists and turns. The premise is that King and Maxwell start off to meet King's old college tutor, a lawyer who has asked for his help in a case. On travelling to Maine they come across, in the middle of nowhere the lawyers car with his dead body still in it.

The case, Bergin, the lawyer was working on, was defending an Internal Revenue (Tax Man to us brits) man who had been charged with multiple murder , six bodies in his barn and he was standing over the grave with shovel in hand when the police conveniently arrived on the scene, guilty, no, but that is all I am going to tell you about that.

The plot moves between Maine, New York and Washington and a high Security Federal prison in the middle of nowhere. It involves the head of Homeland Security, Private Security Contractors, Mercenaries, the FBI and the President.

The action was pretty fast paced and the whole structure of the book was well laid out, following one lead then another making it easy to keep up. I really did enjoy it but, and this is only me of course, it was a book that has taken me two week to read. That is not a criticism as the last two authors and whose books I read and who I know and love, Julian Stockwin and Michael R Hicks, I couldn't put their books down, once started, except for exhaustion. Baldacci may well fit in to that category as I pick up more of his books in the future.

If you do buy this one, it will keep you on your toes and there are two completely unexpected exposes in the final chapters that had me shaking my head. Completely unexpected but in the context of the story so perfectly addressed and revealed making you think to yourself, "Why the hell did I not see that coming", which made the two weeks entirely worthwhile.
As most people are aware, I love a thriller and as such David Baldacci is usually a name that I trust to give me what I want. It's cleverly written, the characters are developing their relationships and its usually something that keeps the book on an even keel from start to finish giving the reader enough excitement as well as opportunity to recover before the next big sequence.

Whilst I did get that from this story, it was sadly a little predictable and when you're on book five of an established series the reader expects some shocks as well as twists to keep it from stagnating. Whilst I did get a lot of goose bumps from the action, knowing what was going to happen ruined this experience for me and as such this isn't one of my favourite books by this author. Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of fun, the usual elements are there and if you're not up to speed it might well surprise but as an established fan, I expected more. Sadly I didn't get it but I'll still stick in there to see what comes next.
on 19 January 2012
This is the first book I have read by this author. Having struggled to get hooked on the story I gave up when I was half way through. For me it certainly wasn't a page turner, and I found that when there was dialogue, it was almost unbearably corny. This of course is just my personal taste, so to help other potential readers, some of the authors I really enjoy are Jeff Abbott, Lee Child, Patrick Lee, James Patterson, Sam Bourne & more. Ones I struggle with are Andy McDermott, David Sakmyster and sometimes Michael Connelly. So if your taste is the same as mine, chances are you'll feel the same about this book.
on 18 December 2015
I have been a fan of David Baldacci for years although it is a while since I last read one of his books. When I think of Baldacci I think of Absolute Power and the brilliant job Clint Eastwood made of the movie. So it was with a degree of excitement and anticipation that I finally got around to The Sixth Man. The opening sequence threw me...highly implausible. But I thought 'Okay. Futuristic stuff. Outside my ken. Soldier on." But then we meet the two protagonists, male and female detective partners. Again, I began to feel uneasy. Where was the chemistry between these two, the sparkling wit and repartee, the charisma that draws us to them? It wasn't there. Gosh! This is disappointing. I couldn't help thinking. "Any review will have to be headed: Not up to his usual standard." Baldacci is not a hopeless writer by any means and in the end the story gathers momentum, has its share of mystery and thrills, and gradually does grab hold of the reader. But this is Baldacci, not just any old writer. Am I raving about this story? Do I want to contact all my friends and say, as I did with Absolute Power, "You really need to get your hands on this book?" I'm afraid not. Had I not known who the author was, I would probably have rated it as a good story. But I do know who the writer is and it isn't Baldacci as I once knew him. Anyone reading this won't hate it, but I doubt if they will be raving about it either. Feel free to give it a go but temper your expectations.
on 14 May 2012
I like the books of David Baldacci he is a superb story-weaver and one of the most naturally gifted writers in the action thriller, crime genres.

I initially read one of his books when in hospital in 1996 it also just happened to be his first one "Absolute Power" and I thought it was outstanding and I wasn't the only one because the following year it was, Absolute Power (1997), starring Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman, since then I have endeavoured to read everything he has and will write, although it appears that I might have missed some.

Anyhow to this particular story "The Sixth Man"; after alleged serial killer Edgar Roy is apprehended and locked away in a mental facility private investigators Sean King and Michelle Maxwell are called in by Roy's lawyer--an old friend of Sean King--to look into the case. But their investigation is derailed before it begins: while en route to their first meeting with the lawyer, King and Maxwell discover his dead body. It is up to King and Maxwell to uncover the truth: is Roy a killer or not?

This narrative has plenty of action its potential lawbreakers are exposed near the beginning of the story, and a duplicitous FBI agent is tossed in for good measure, there lots of bodies and hint of a governmental plot.
Accordingly we have now got an exhilarating journey which we are led to believe will be over very soon however, as the investigation develops, more violence ensues and we are given little clues that there are going to be lots of twists and turns along the way.

I suggest that you give this book a go you will not be let down in the story that this story-weaver offers you it is a non-stop action packed thriller and worth my 4 stars
on 8 April 2014
I ordered this because I've been watching the TV series "King & Maxwell" which I am really enjoying. I thought I'd read the original novel and compare how different it is from the TV series. Well, yes, it is quite a bit different, but TV plots are always less layered than the original novels they're based on. If I'm perfectly honest, I'm intrigued that the TV character Edgar has autism as my son has a mild form - it's refreshing to see a show where the talents of an autistic person is showcased. It didn't come over so strongly that the character was an autistic savant in the novel, where it just focuses on his incredible memory, so I'm guessing the author's original intention was different, though perhaps based on an autistic savant. So the novel stands on its own as a piece of work.
Did it keep me reading? Yes, it did. It only took me a day or so to read it, and as I'm dyslexic I have to read every word. What I found was that it was so pacey that it just swept me along with it. The only (and it was a very slight annoyance) is that would-be authors like myself get told, "You won't get published unless you edit your writing like this/that/whatever", yet David Baldacci does all the things we're told not to and still gets published! But seriously, a really enjoyable novel that bowls along furiously - I'll be checking out some more of his stuff when I have a bit more time.
on 12 August 2011
David Baldacci is turning into quite a prolific author with a couple of different series running in parallel.
The Camel Club series is well ahead of the rest in my list of favorites (we didn't need Hell's Corner Mr Baldacci), then the A Shaw series (we need another one of these though please).
Then we have King and Maxwell. A good set of solid thrillers with the right mix of intrigue, excitment, thrills and twists to keep any thriller fan happy.
However, as good as they are, they dont have an Oliver Stone or an A Shaw.
They do have M Maxwell who is great but she needs more to do, I'm thinking along the lines of their first adventure 'Split Second', where she went off and did her own thing a bit more.
The Sixth Man is a great read, it is not Baldacci's best but that is in no way a bad thing. Baldacci on a bad day beats many of his contempories hands down.
If you are new to Baldacci or King and Maxwell I wouldn't recommend you start here, buy this by all means, but save it untill you have read the others in the series.
Then for a real treat Get the Camel Club and be prepaired to lose a good few nights to it.
on 28 November 2011
For those that like Harlen Coben, Baldacci is in the same exciting vein. A great plot which keeps you guessing until the end, so much so it's difficult to fit work in when you've reached your destination but not the end of a "chapter".