5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable reminiscent of Lee Child
Published on 12 Mar 2012 by M. Easters

2.0 out of 5 stars Not better just worse
Published 3 months ago by Malcolm R

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable reminiscent of Lee Child, 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: Pariah (Paperback)
I am a voracious reader, I literally devour books and when I find one that immerses me so completely in another world as this one did from the start I find it hard to concentrate on anything else until I reach the gripping conclusion. I am always a little hesitant to buy books from new writers who have a few reviews on here where they are all 5 star as I worry there is some nepotism floating around but this time whether it is nepotism or reviews from strangers in my opinion they are right on the mark, this is definately a 5 star book.
The lead character here is well fleshed out, likeable and most importantly believable. You are not left wondering why on earth he made a particular choice as I have been with characters in other novels as you feel as if you are in his head and understand every step he takes down the twisting road he is on. I liked the fact that the lead and several other characters are explored well allowing you to feel as if you know them but at the same time none of them is laid bare and there is still plenty of their back stories to explore in future books.
The story itself has such an intriguing premise that you cannot help but wonder what you would do if someone set out to ruin your life as the perpetrator does here. I followed Cal on his journey and did get to the Who a little before he did but not so soon it left me disappointed and the Why I didn't manage to figure out and was astonished at the reveal although there are some clever hints buried in the book that make you look back and think ahhh of course.
Over all the style of writing especially the humour which winds through a lot of the dialogue, and the lead character himself remind me of Lee Child and his eponymous hero Jack Reacher. As a huge Lee Child/ Jack Reacher fan I see this as a very good thing and when the film rights are sold for what will become a great series of books if they follow the debut I can only hope Tom Cruise is nowhere to be seen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Did i read a different book?, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Pariah (Kindle Edition)
I came across David Jackson and his detective Cal Doyle quite by accident on kindle, on his E book 'cry Baby' I gave that book 5*'s. Determined to discover more about this writer & his detective I immediately did some research and found this, the first book for both of them! 'PARIAH'
I have once again been on a roller coaster with detective Doyle and all the other 5*'s that have been given say everything I would have said myself. So I give it 5*'s without further comment or hesitation. I read it in one sitting and really must now eat, wash, and do some housework before I sit down to the next helping of this author.
However, I would like to add that the person who was incredulous at all the 5*'s the book had received and subsequently gave it 1* must have read and reviewed a completely different book from the one I have just read! Also the person who could not get passed page 28 will never know what's he or she has missed !

Do not let this author or indeed his fictional detective pass you by, just read him for yourself and make your own mind up. I cannot see many people would be disappointed, and I imagine negative reviews will remain a minority. *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, page-turning, thrilling - what more do you want?, 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: Pariah (Callum Doyle) (Paperback)
A great high speed, high drama thriller which I sped through in two sittings, Pariah's rave reviews made me sit up and listen, and the good news is that there's more to come following this great debut from crime author David Jackson, with 'The Helper' also due out soon.

The result of a high commendation from the Debut Dagger awards by the Crime Writers Association led to Pariah being picked up and published by Pan Macmillan - two great finds for them in author and debut novel.

I've been a sucker for most things set in New York, and this tale of an NYPD Detective, Callum Doyle, was no exception - but not purely for its setting there. The whole concept that to damage Doyle in the worst possible way a killer seems to be on a mission to target those around him, starting with his cop partners and then setting sights on his family makes for a very disturbing premise. Doyle is forced off the case of seeking his partner's killer and then runs from his wife and daughter and tries to stay away from everyone he cares for so as not to place them in the line of fire.

Once he's clear of the Police Department, they seem glad to have him away as it seems to take the risk away from them and so investigation into his case slacks off, leaving Doyle isolated and alone in the world.

He's being pursued by Internal Affairs and by members of the criminal fraternity and he has no way of knowing just who he can trust. Hands seem to be offered at every turn to help him, but Doyle runs the risk of placing others between him and the killer or implicating himself in the deaths of his partners.

I hesitate to use the words 'page-turner', but lost track of the times when I promised myself I'd just read one more chapter and then take a break, only to find a shattering twist or development meant there was no way I couldn't read on - so a 'page-turner' it most certainly is.

With Callum Doyle isolated from his family, I couldn't fail to see the irony that, this evening, I chose to stay home and finish the book whilst the rest of my own family went to a party - it really had me that gripped.

Pariah has a great quality and voice and, set in present tense, an immediacy to it that I think would translate extremely well to film too. But, until that happens, I'm very happy to read more of Detective Callum Doyle in future novels.

Grab some Guinness, or coffee and donuts, a copy of Pariah - and you're in for a damn good time.

Keith

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thrilling Debut..., 4 Mar 2011
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pariah (Paperback)
The first thing to say about this crime debut is that you rarely get so beneath the skin of a central character in crime fiction as you do with Doyle- you really felt engaged with him as a person as well as involved in his professional life as a police officer. I think this added to the novel as you shared his confusion at the situation he found himself in and were almost getting to the bottom of everything at the same pace as him, rather than having your mind racing ahead and trying to solve the mystery ahead of him. Hence the real villain of the piece was difficult to identify and that was great because I hate guessing whodunnit! I loved the injection of humour-some cracking one-liners- and felt the mordant wit contributed much to Doyle's character and really fleshed him out as character. I found the characterisation throughout was excellent- the sinister Bartoks, Spinner, Rocca and Paulsen particularly stood out and added to the depth of the novel in their interactions with Doyle. 'Pariah' definitely deserves to get a good push behind it as it ticks all the boxes of good crime fiction and has definitely got that 'if you like you'll love...' opportunity about it as I think it would appeal to fans of Crais, Wambaugh, Child etc. All in all a great debut and a thriller that I would wholeheartedly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, not such an interesting detective., 10 Aug 2014
This author was recommended by a friend who loves many of the same kinds of books as I do - clever thrillers especially. I did enjoy Pariah very much. The plot is good, it's well written and there are some surprises. It's definitely a page turner and I was gripped until the end. My only, faint, criticism is that I never really felt that I got to know Callum Doyle as a multi-dimensional being. I had the feeling that I was coming in half way through the story and that I had missed the bit where I learned about the man. This is no Harry Bosch. However, I was interested enough to want to read more David Jackson books whilst but hoping that he fills out his main character a bit more and makes him as interesting as the storyline.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not better just worse, 30 Aug 2014
Do not believe the blurb on the cover from The Guardian this writer is not better than Harlan Coben. Starts of at a good pace and when it concentrates on the plot it is OK but too many wordy passages about not very much slow matters down. The premise of an isolated man is good but why does he do most of the isolating himself? Running away from family and friends, assaulting other cops for no good reason and drinking whiskey. Some of the mechanisms in the plot are good but need a wordy bit or three to explain them.The resolution of the plot is absurd and the reason for all the mayhem is even sillier, had the killer not heard of divorce?

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, pacey read., 18 Aug 2014
Having read 'Cry Baby' a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, I decided to read the other books in the Callum Doyle series and I was not disappointed with this one. It's fast-paced, gripping and a good quick read. The author gives enough description to allow you to form a mental image and opinion of the main characters without rambling or becoming boring. The plot is a bit far-fetched and I guessed the identity of the 'perp' quite early in the novel, but it still kept me entertained. I'd certainly recommend it to fans of crime novels, especially for light holiday reading. I'm looking forward to reading book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read., 21 July 2014
S. Ivory "Jamaica girl" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
Wow! I thought I had discovered all the best authors, but David Jackson is a revelation. This is the first I have read and having just finished it, I have already downloaded all the rest. This book is so good, you cannot adequately review it.
A New York policeman being targeted by a mad killer and his efforts to discover who it is. The search leads him to the dark side and who knows what he will have to do to extricate himself, but this will be in the follow up, or maybe not.
A must read for anyone who enjoys crime thrillers. Well done to the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good debut to follow, 23 May 2013
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pariah (Callum Doyle) (Paperback)
As a debut novel, it certainly makes me want to follow on with 'The Helper' such is the easy style of writing the author brings to this crime thriller.

These days it must be difficult to find a niche in this market. There are just too many police individuals meteing out their own method of justice to make sure the job is done and then face the backlash from just about everyone.

The premise is good as the life of Detective Callum Doyle is turned inside out when two of his partners are killed off within days of each other, the finger of hatred focusing on Doyle because of past events.

Some of the characters are stereotypical, the brash, bullying officer, Schneider, the big thug, Bartok, the police informant, Skinner but, no matter, they blend into a naturally flowing story with ease whilst Doyle, now suspended, tries to discover just who is mentally torturing him by killing off those currently surrounding his day-to-day activities.

I suppose the finale is not unexpected but, in arriving there, Doyle comes over as a reasonable man - in the main - his devotion to justice paramount running alongside the maintaining of the safety of his family. At least in this book, Doyle is a family man which makes a welcome change.

We know there is a follow on so the unfinished business in this story will no doubt rise up again in, 'The Helper' so I look forward to that now that the author has set out the ground rules for his protagonist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific start to the Callum Doyle series of books, 3 Dec 2014
Just finished reading this book - I actually read Cry Baby first which is actually the fourth in the Callum Doyle series - but it didnt spoil anything in this book for me. Another terrific book from David Jackson - and if you like a good crime thriller then I would highly recommend his books as he has a great writing style, great humour and characters you actually care about - brilliant!

Pariah (Callum Doyle)
Pariah (Callum Doyle) by David Jackson (Paperback - 16 Feb 2012)