Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 December 2010
I've read a great deal of books about Dogs and their owners. This is the best so far. I challenge anyone not to be emotionally moved by this story of Steve and his best friend Lou. Steve's and Lou's story touched so many dogs and people's lives and will continue to do so through the pages of this great book. It's a great read from the first to the last page and I urge you to give it a go. You won't be disappointed.
on 22 November 2010
The story of a lucky dog rescued from almost certain death. The right time and the right place for the even luckier author Steve Duno. A Happy - Sad, Humorous, and very emotional tale of one mans relationship with his ultimate best friend. Everyone should have a Lou in their life. If this story doesnt pull at your heart strings, you have never known the love of a good dog. Read it and weep !
on 24 September 2010
This is a wonderfull book, reading it changed my life, I had determined never to have another dog after having to put my last dog to sleep; the pain was just to much, but this book gave me the strength to buy another dog, it is a great read, both funny and sad in good measure, it shows how much greater a persons life can be when shared with a well behaved dog, who will become your best friend. All dog lovers should read this book.
on 2 January 2012
Until you have given your heart to a dog you can never understand the bond between dog and human. This book is amazing - written in a very matter of fact and very down to earth style - and the love shines out from every single page. This man was proud to have a dog like Lou, and Lou was proud to have a human like Steve Duno, and while i was reading this book i actually felt i was sharing some of what they shared in their life together. Its entertaining, its funny, its heartbreaking but you will leave it feeling uplifted. Make no mistake though, if you have loved and lost a dog, this book will have you re-living every moment - from those first precious days with your new pup, through the ups and downs of adolescent dog, to the wonderful understanding that follows and on until the final chapter where your tears will fall with the authors tears. highly recommended.Last Dog on the Hill
"Last Dog on the Hill" is the story of 'Lou' who is a real rescue dog. Anyone who has ever had a dog will love this book. Anyone who is contemplating getting a dog should also read this book so they will be aware of the hard work involved in dog ownership but also of the huge rewards that a dog gives to it's humans. Steve Duno's style of writing is brilliant and the book is one that you cannot put down as you want to turn the page to find out more about 'Lou' and what he is up to.
Brilliant read.
on 31 October 2010
Just finished reading this in what seemed like minutes... What a great story. Never sentimental or mawkish, not anthropomorphic, it's the tale of man (Steve) and dog (Lou) who "find" each other and their ongoing relationship.

Steve's writing style is easy and pacey; his descriptions of Lou's behaviour and body language (conversation, even? "Rower!") are as good a characterisation of a dog as I've ever read. Even if you're not a dog lover you will feel you know him and those of us who share our lives with dogs find ourselves nodding and smiling throughout. There are also descriptions of some of the problem dogs Steve and Lou worked with and snippets of information useful to those of us who live with less than perfect specimens.

Once in a lifetime there comes along your "heart dog" - the canine equivalent of "The One" - and it seems that Lou was Steve's. The sense of wonder and gratitude that Steve has for Lou's presence in his life is powerful throughout the book, but it's also Steve's story with its highs and lows. I can recommend "Last Dog on the Hill" as a thoroughly good read for everybody.
on 5 March 2011
I read this a few weeks ago and was totally captivated by every single page... I loved Lou, and I loved Steve! Lou reminded me of my beloved GSD Rotti cross, and Steve eloquently captured the incredible bond a human can have for his (or her!) canine family member... his writing is fun, fast paced, honest, descriptive, heartbreaking... I recommend this book to any animal lover out there... it brought back, acutely, so many memories of the times I had with my Soba... it is my TOP favourite animal book of all!
Maria (Abu Dhabi)
on 11 April 2011
What can I say that hasn't already been said...NOTHING just BRILLIANT, A MUST FOR ALL DOG LOVERS. Makes you aahhh, laugh, cry and look at your own dogs and love them even more.
on 4 October 2010
I wouldnt normally read a book like this, Strictly an action fiction man normally but there was just something that made me want to pick this up and give it a go. Steve Duno writes about the amazing Lou with such affection that you feel like you're there with him for their amazing adventure. Just brilliant, go on meet Lou.
on 13 February 2012
I know Im a sucker for shaggy dog stories but this one takes the biscuit,, what a delightful read of one man and his clever, soppy, lovable dog.Its very amusing in parts,, when Steve is teasing Lou with the ceiling fan.. dont ask,, just read the book.I can totally understand how one dog can have such an effect on peoples lives ,,and Im a cat person !!You find out early on in the book that Lou has died but that didnt help me at all,, I put off reading the last couple of chapters cos I wanted to be own my own when I cried,, I did feel however that Steve put his own feelings first and not that of Lou when he was obviously nearing the end of his life,,I know the vet said that Lou wasnt in pain but if a dog is doubly incontinent and needs a sling to support his back legs to walk then surely however sad then the time has come ??It is a lovely book and one I will read again and cry over.. again,