5.0 out of 5 stars Truely Excellent series, 5 July 2011
Nyx (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mediator bind-ups (Paperback)
I first read these 5 years ago, and was instantly caught. The lead character Suze is a believable kickass teenager with a whole host of undeadly problems.
after her mum remarries she is sent to live with her new family including a step dad and 3 teenage step brothers, but being the mediator she helps those who have died to complete any unfinished business before crossing over. This obviously gets her in unexplainable situations and you find yourself laughing along to the brilliant situations Suze has to navigate through. All the while trying not to fall in love with the hot ghost who haunts her own bedroom.

this series is a witty well written book and though i own nearly 200 books, still remains in my top 3 series. definitely one to read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal present for a teenager, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Mediator bind-ups (Paperback)
I bought this as a xmas present for my niece - it arrived in good time and well packaged - my niece was very pleased with her gift

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good book with loveable characters, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Mediator bind-ups (Paperback)
I don't really think I can put into words just how good this series is. This is by far one of my favourite supernatural/young adult book series. It has a bit of everything in it, Love, Comedy, Action etc... I could not put this book down. It was nice to read about a really strong female lead, who is quite tough and very funny. I love how Meg Cabot explored the relationships between the characters. My favourite being the relationships between Susannah and her brothers, Jesse and Father Dominic. The way she wrote Susannah and Jesse's relationship was really sweet and kept me engrossed the whole way through. I loved the fact that Jesse was such a gentleman throughout the whole series, you really end up loving his character. I have recommended this to 5 other people who have all enjoyed these books a much as me. It kind of reminds me of ghost whisperer but a lot more light hearted. I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves supernatural romance type of books, it's worth the read and the books in the series get even better as the story goes on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good!, 8 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Mediator bind-ups (Paperback)
I came across this book because I love any supernatural/romance books. I was recommended it after reading Hush Hush and loving it.

Story:
9/10
Its about a teenager, Suze who grew up in New York and is tough but really funny. She has to move to California due to her fathers death. Despite the fact that her dad is dead and the fact that she can see/interact with ghosts the books aren't depressing at all! When she arrives in California she meets the lovely Jesse who she tries to kick out as he keeps hanging around her room. The books tend to follow a similar format where she has a new ghost(s) to deal with and try to solve the reason why they cannot move on. I did find halfway through the series I started to get a bit bored of the formula - but I am so glad I persevered as it gets really exciting towards the last few books!

Writing style
9/10
First person writing style, extremely funny, without many sad parts. Meg Cabot (author of Princess Diaries and many other successful novels) is a great writer who knows how to get you hooked - thankfully there are 6 books in total! The style of these books is more adult than her Princess Diaries- there isn't much swearing or nudity but it feels more like young adult than a children's book. (I love it and I'm 24!)

Characters
10/10
Suze is brilliant, she deals with problem ghosts with her fists and is constantly getting into fights and doesn't tend to think before she acts. She made me laugh all through the books, and had me cheering her on.
Jesse is so handsome - Be prepared to fall for him! He died a hundred years or so ago and is a bit of a cowboy (in a good way!) he often reverts to speaking spanish.

Summary
Get this if: You love supernatural romance stories with the female who kicks butt! Twilight, Hush hush, shiver, torment lovers with most likely love this.

Don't get this if: you hate ghost stories, don't like stories with some supernatural/religious links. Want more of an 'adult' novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review from The Word Fiend, 26 May 2011
Shelagh (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mediator bind-ups (Paperback)
Personally I love those gems you find when you stumble across a book that looks interesting and decide to give it a chance. While browsing the shelves of one of my local bookshops Love You to Death & High Stakes caught my eye and boy am I glad I decided to take a chance on it. This is definitely one of my gems.

The cover design for Love You to Death & High Stakes is quite simple, but the model's piercing green eye and no-nonsense expression draw you in and the lettering stands out nicely in white and red against the black background. It's a case of less-is-more with this cover and I can't picture a design that would have worked better for the book.

I have to be honest and admit that the fact that Meg Cabot is well-known for The Princess Diaries series did make me wary when I started this book. But I have to eat a big serving of humble-pie here - Meg Cabot knows what she's doing and delivers a great paranormal read for young adults.

Cabot's writing is slick and pleasant to read, with the story flowing well from beginning to end in both books. The first book, Love You to Death, doesn't read like the first in a series. The characters and the world seem so well-established that I could fall right into the story without having to take time to find my feet. The ease of reading follows into the second book, High Stakes, and the story doesn't need time to gather momentum again, but kicks off almost straight into the action I'd come to expect.

Cabot's characters are a lot of fun and Suze Simon is probably one of my favourite heroines in the young adult genre. She's feisty and tends to act before she thinks, but Cabot lets us see behind the tough-as-nails exterior to the sixteen-year-old who just wants to be normal and go on a date for once in her life. Instead she's stuck with ghosts and their problems. It makes for an interesting balancing act between her everyday life and her role as Mediator.

If you haven't read Meg Cabot's Mediator series I'd definitely recommend you give them a try. Who knows, maybe you'll find your own gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this series!!, 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Mediator bind-ups (Paperback)
Loves this series!! Defiantly recommend!! Both action and romance!! Worth every penny!!

The Mediator bind-ups
The Mediator bind-ups by Meg Cabot (Paperback - 7 May 2010)