5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful!
As I'm in my 30's I didn't order this for the text, rather I was allured by the beautiful illustration on the cover, and was hoping for more of the same. I certainly wasn't disappointed! The drawings are stunning & have something lacking in many books like this, which is movement & life.

The story basically follows a lonely chameleon trying to fit in,...
Published on 13 Feb 2010 by Mr. M. P. Duffy

3.0 out of 5 stars Fitting In
This is a charming little picture book about a lonely chameleon seeking to find friends. There are hardly any words at all - each double page spread showing the chameleon imitating some object (such as yellow banana, brown boot, and swirly snail) in an attempt to befriend it. These pictures are well executed - I particularly like the snail and white page - and bring a...
Published on 6 Feb 2010 by Ben Saunders

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful!, 13 Feb 2010
Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The story basically follows a lonely chameleon trying to fit in, something most of us have experienced at some point or another in our lives. Yet what suprised me was that despite the sparsity of words, a true feeling of yearning for a sense of belonging & companionship does come across.

I was going to give this book away after reviewing it to a friend of mine who has a young child, but I've since changed my mind - it's all mine!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue..? not after this!, 27 Dec 2010
Ms. F. Akeroyd "minifi" (Lincoln, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Chameleon (Hardcover)
Im 27yrs old and i love this book! Emily Gravett is a fantastic illustrator and really enjoy her books...all ages can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very imaginative illustrations, 21 Feb 2010
L. Hennessy (Twickenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Emily Gravett draws fantastic pictures that kids and parents will really enjoy looking at and talking about. A chameleon comes across various animals and objects, and tries to be friends with them by not only changing colour but also trying to mimic their shapes.

You see the object/animal on the right, and the chameleon's effort on the left. There's a lot of humour in seeing a chameleon do it's best to contort itself into the shape of a banana, for instance - there's a lot of visual humour as well as bundles of colour and character.

There's very little words, which totally works for what is a very visually-based book.

The theme is one of being true to yourself - individuality - as the animals he meets don't really know what to make of him (I use the male gender to describe the creature, but there is no gender specified in the book) as he tries his best to fit in with them. Eventually when he meets another chameleon, they are both so excited that their patterns go absolutely haywire.

- good quality hardback

- very good reproductions of the illustrations

- very few words. 'Probably' best suited for two to three year-olds, but the visually-minded will enjoy it whatever age they are.

I love this book, and so does my two-year-old nephew. If you're good at entertaining a child, there's plenty to work on here... 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality picture book, 13 Mar 2010
K. Wright - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Blue Chameleon" is a beautiful, high quality book by acclaimed author and illustrator Emily Gravett. The pictures are gorgeous and are printed on lovely thick paper, however there isn't much of a story. Each double page spread consists of a colour and an object with matching pictures, for example "Yellow banana" with 2 pictures, one of a banana and one of the chameleon changing to look like a banana. There is also a speech bubble on each page as the chameleon 'talks' to the object/animal as it is feeling lonely. The "White page" page is lovely as it looks blank but there is a raised chameleon on the page. Whilst this is insteresting for discussion with very young children, I think the lack of story means that it probably won't appeal to children beyond the age of about 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Blue Chameleon (Paperback)
A truly stunning book which I bought twice for recent mothers. The pictures are beyond belief - a gem of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars my daughters aged 6 & 8 love this book, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: Blue Chameleon (Paperback)
my daughters aged 6 & 8 love this book so much when we got it from the library that I have bought our own copy. The story is simple with just a few words on each page but it is colourful and they really enjoy the funny story, i would recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Chameleon, 29 April 2010
Donald Lush "lushd" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is aimed at young children and on every page the chameleon tries to be the thing on the page. Emily Gravett has created lovely illustrations that are clever and effective. She has created a cool character who will keep younger readers amused and entertained throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating!, 17 Feb 2010
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Chameleon (Hardcover)
Despite the fact that there aren't many words in this lovely book - and several of those are far outside the usual range of vocabulary for the target readership - it's sure to stimulate in many ways. The illustrations are energetic, colourful and humorous giving the adult plenty to work with, shaping the story as you see fit. As the text provides nothing more than a simple framework for storytelling, you could explore many themes with this book too. My two-year-old loves the illustrations and feeling the paper for the `hidden' artwork... I like the simplicity of the concept with so many ways you could elaborate on the story or just revel in the fun. You could even see it as a cautionary tale about `fitting in' as opposed to `being yourself' but there's no need to look too deeply here. A book to enjoy often I'd say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful artwork..., 26 Jan 2010
Road Apple "who brings the mustard?" (Mean Gene's Bar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
... and very imaginitive too.

I've yet to pull my two year old boy away from his pop-up books so I'm yet to find out of he will like this but I'll give it pride of place of his bookshelf all the same.

I can't praise the quality of the art in this book enough, the nice hardcover and heavy paper feel great and each picture has lots of character. I'll be looking out for more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book of colours and words, 25 Jan 2010
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely picture book.
The chameleon changes colour on each page,therefore enabling children to learn their colours.
The pictures are also accompanied by simple words and phrases that will help to teach a child to read and copy the sound of the words that you read to them.
The book is an hardback and is well made and a good size for reading from.
I would recommend it for the under three's. It is well illustrated and a joy to read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb4beccf0)

Blue Chameleon
Blue Chameleon by Emily Gravett (Paperback - 1 April 2011)
4.79