on 23 March 2011
Brilliant. Again Margaret Dickinson has given us a book worth reading. From the first page it was a page turner. I would rate this book as one of her best. Carry on the good work Margaret.
on 21 April 2011
I couldn't 'get into' this book, even though the cover and the summary were interesting. I'm really into history and period stories at the moment, but this one was very disappointing. Nothing really happened and it was very plain about every day life for a young girl having to look after her brothers and sisters when the mother died. I've only read about a quarter of it and to be honest I haven't wanted to pick it up and finish it. It is very boring.
on 9 April 2011
I have read all this authors books so far and enjoyed them so i was really looking forward to this one. Although not a bad read it is not up to her usual standard of story telling but it is forgivable given her list of fabulous reads. Don't let this put you off, you will enjoy this book but for me i was looking for a little more.
on 31 March 2011
Thank you Margaret for yet another excellent book. It was great to visualise being in the city of Lincoln again, desriptions as usual made me feel I was actually there and especially the visit to the Cathedral, with mention of the Imp. So much tragedy for families in the time of the Typhoid epidemic, the War and the Spanish Flu and how courageous the main character Polly was to carry on through whatever life through at her. Wont tell you more, readers as dont want to spoil it for you. Definitely a page turner not to be missed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 February 2013
Polly leads a quiet life until typhoid strikes her home city of Lincoln at the start of the twentieth century. Her mother dies and she has to leave school aged 13 and keep her family together. Her father works on the railways but strikes and loses his job. Her brother gets into trouble with the law and her sister gets into trouble of another sort.

Poor Polly keeps moaning to herself that she wanted to be a teacher, but got no chance. She should have upped and married the handsome young policeman who kept calling for her, but stubborn loyalty to her family keeps her single for too long. Finally she takes another offer and settles for a stable life. The Great War causes upheavals and losses to the town and Polly gets a chance to work.

I thought Polly had only ever travelled a few streets away from home and so the book felt static although the times changed. We never travel outside the city to see the new water pipe being built to bring typhoid-free water to the people; we never travel to the trenches or field hospitals. A change of scene would have helped in my opinion. I enjoyed several of this author's books and I am sure she has done a good job of research.
on 3 January 2012
Excellent read as always by this author. I found the book so captivating I couldn't put it down until the story was finished.
on 29 March 2011
If you like Margaret Dickinson you will love this book. Not only is the story very good it has a lot of factual information in it. It is a must read.
on 5 January 2014
I really enjoyed this story it made laugh it made me cry but most of all it made me realise the strength of faith that this young girl found when she needed it most
on 29 December 2014
I read this book over Christmas and enjoyed it. There was enough going on all the time to keep me interested in it and I could pick it up and put it down as necessary. Perfect for what I wanted. I do appreciate it even more now that I have finished it as my next book is far inferior and I miss 'Forgive and Forget' so I have just bought another of Margaret Dickinsons books on Kindle offer. I look forward to reading that.
VINE VOICEon 23 March 2012
great story ,polly is forced to bring up her family at the tender age of 13,putting them fist before her own happiness,her 2 eldest siblings eddie and violet are trouble and so is dad.this book covers the big railway strike and riots of 1911 and the 1st world war,lots of heartbreak ,love and of course happiness.i would highly recommend if you are a history and romance fan like a tear jerker then this is for you.