on 4 December 2010
I stumbled across this book en route to India and found myself trying out some of the techniques Rob suggests.

Prior to reading it i knew nothing of the author but needed a little help coming to terms with a recent event in my life. I wasnt expecting much to be honest but he writes in a way that is clear, concise, unpatronising and above all else, positive. The 'emotional expression technique' is something i will be practicing in the future and i will be reading the book again as it contains lots of thoughts and ideas on ways to improve quality of life in any aspect of life, not just business and commerce. The book is well supported by good, recent evidence and even lists the references used which ive started to look into.

Yes i recommend the book. Even just reading the book gives an alternative perspective into offering solutions to helping in life. I shall be asking for one or two of Robs' other books for christmas too! Compelling read.
on 25 October 2010
This book really is quite excellent!

Being an avid reader of the self improvement / psychology / management genre I have come across many of this kind of books - but Dr. Yeungs is quite exceptional!

Taking NLP a step further and looking at modeling the characteristics of excellence is a great idea. He then takes it a step further with practical ideas and exercises that help develop these attributes.

In particular the chapters on diversification of networks - as opposed to just the volume of contacts - was eye-opening!
Also the negotiation techniques were very interesting.

For anyone interested in becoming better... at whatever they do... this is a must read!

Dear Dr. Rob Yeung... thank you very much!

Patrick Drew
on 1 November 2010
This is only the second business book I ever actually completed - The Tipping Point being the first. And I had to read this as I joined a Business Book Club. I really enjoyed reading it, it was well laid out and there was little or no jargon. It was also easy to read. The exercises were very good but I didn't get a chance to complete them all....but I will, honest!
on 6 September 2010
This is an excellent book. Rob Yeung sets himself apart from the plethora of other `business self-help' books by basing his advice on solid research, and giving concise advice.

This book is good value for money as it explains 8 key points concisely and clearly over 8 chapters, whereas other authors would spin each of these points into individual books. Take the Tipping Point for example - an entire book explaining seriously simple observation which could be covered in a chapter. This is the opposite - just the right amount of introduction and explanation of each concept followed by a summary for quick reference.

This book is particularly interesting on the subject of brainstorming and negotiation - two areas which are key to my business.

I have garnered some key learnings from this book which I have already started implementing.
on 8 April 2011
Anybody from CEO's to the Office Runner can learn from this book, I've been studying Behavioural Psychology for over 20 years and Loved this book...Rob writes as though he's talking to you right now, the book is a conversation and believe me you want to join in.

Business, Sports and most importantly Life Skills are discussed, methods of improvement are given and you are lead through wonderful small changes that all make a difference, in allowing you to stand out from the crowd.

Read in tandem with Kevin Dutton's excellent 'Flipnosis' (see my review) as I have done and you will see improvements from today in all areas of your Business and Social Life.

I thought having been in Sales, Sports Coaching and Psychology Training I knew most things..just not till now I've learnt that invaluable extra 1% that's needed to go from 2nd place to the Winners Podium !

For less than a round of drinks you can begin to see results that work in minutes that become Life Skills forever..take this opportunity to go where others fear to tread..checkout Rob Yeung today !
on 10 January 2011
"Wow, what a book!!! One of the best books I have read, loads of little gems of information as well as giving you a big vision which makes you think - why didn't someone teach me all this earlier? Rob Yeung has integrated many quotes, old sayings and practical examples with academic studies to show you that as long as you can learn you can be in that top 1%.

Read the book over the weekend as I couldn't put it down it was that good! now need to apply all the things I learnt, over the next few days, weeks, months and years. Wrote an email to Rob to say thank you.

My favourite quote from the book - Mark Twain - "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed in the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover!
on 11 December 2011
I've read my fair share of psychology and business books. There are some famous psychology studies and tests that seems almost mandatory if you want to discuss decision making, authorities, etc. Many of the studies that Yeung refers to are already familiar to me but despite that, it felt fresh and he adds his own spin to it. The problem here, I suppose, is that these classic studies are always quoted for a reason - they show something surprising or a real breakthrough. Yeung doesn't just come with reference after reference to studies though, but puts them in a good context.

Compared to other achievement books such as The 7 habits of Highly Effective people, it has a much more practical approach. Yeung suggests some good practical tips that feels more like methods to use rather than the classical "gotta have some exercises in there that no one will bother with".

I don't agree completely with another reviewer about the method bit in the beginning, I actually found it interesting as it really showed how you get a good answer out of people, regardless of the situation. It could have been a bit more compact though.

For what it is, this is an excellent book, and if you haven't read much on achievement, you will probably be more wowed by the studies and research quoted than I was. I'd say that the very best bit of this book is the many interviews with top achievers - that's more interesting and unique. Yeung has managed to get hold of some very interesting, busy people and grill them, and that lifts the book up from its competitors on the book shelf. Yes, I recommend it.
on 1 October 2010
Not just key skills for success, but what this book really highlights are the key skills for happiness. A must read for anybody trying to do something positive with their life.

I love it and will cherish this book until I have someone special to pass it onto. Everybody else, definitely buy it!!
on 3 November 2010
Rob Young has certainly excelled himself in his most recent book titled "The Extra One Percent". I absolutely love Rob Yeung's writing style in terms of it being fully accessible for all readers who are interested in bettering themselves in both their personal and private lifestyle.

Rob writes in such an enjoyable style, combining facts with humour but also integrates references and evidence that he proposes in this book. As an academic I found the book most enjoyable and have fully recommended it to my fellow peers. Whether you are an academic, successful business man, or a student, you can really rely on this book to give you the enthusiasm to "give that extra one percent" in all aspects of your life. Since reading the book I have found my work to be of a higher quality, my personal lifestyle to be more enjoyable, and most of all I am extremely satisfied with all aspects of my life. It has given me the enthusiasm to try new activities and I have even started volunteering and working with special needs. I finally have control of my life thanks to Robs new book, I have a career path that I am determined to follow and this is all thanks to Rob.

If there is one book you should buy this year, it should be this one. Whether you may already consider yourself a successful person or not, this book may give you that extra bit of knowledge you may not have had, or give you the confidence to try something you were initially apprehensive about.

Such an excellent read, and I cannot wait for Rob's next published book!
on 26 December 2012
Rob's book is a straight forward introduction to personal development, with good examples of real life case studies. Most interesting to me was the chapter on Citizenship, where he rationalises and encourages the importance of finding a way to contribute towards a better society and in a way reclaiming the paradigm of patriotism, except on a more socially aware global scale. We need more doctors, engineers, scientists etc and we should all be trying to contribute towards alleviating the problems our planet faces by maximising our abilities and helping others less privileged than us to achieve higher standards for themselves and for them to ultimately go on to help others less fortunate than them.