5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Great item.
Published 5 months ago by Clifford Ian Jenkins

2.0 out of 5 stars The Reluctant Tommy - Review
Unfortunately I have to agree with the negative reviews I have read on this account (I confess to not having read all of them). I am not an historian but I am very well read on the subject of the First World War; my family history instilled in me from a very early age, a deep fascination with the war that has endured to this day.

Even an amateur historian such...
Published on 23 July 2012 by SLK

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
good

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 4 May 2010
An immersive account of a unique story. Written in an easily accessible style, this manages to hold your attention without compromising the sometimes tough subject matter. Should be on reading lists for history students looking at this period, and well worth a read for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars First World War true stories, 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Tommy (Paperback)
Bought this for my partner who says its the best book he's read and thoroughly enjoyed it! Made him want to laugh and cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 28 April 2010
A thoroughly moving and inspiring story that I urge anyone to read. Whether you are a history buff or know nothing about this era, you'll quickly be captived and unable to put this book down. Vivid and heartfelt, I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, but....., 10 April 2013
This is interesting in parts, but with rather too much mundane daily trivia to hold my attention. Very much someones personal life history than a war history.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fascinating and gripping read, 27 April 2010
A really gripping first hand account of a soldier's experience of fighting in the trenches during the First World War and the impact of his decision to become an active pacifist.His honesty,sincerity and integrity shine out and his questioning of the morality of war is movingly described.His writing style is direct and immediate so that the reader becomes totally immersed in his story. The horror of life in the trenches is vividly portrayed as are the relationships with fellow soldiers and officers.This is a unique and highly unusual memoir. The author takes the reader with him all the way and I found myself totally immersed in his story.It is a real page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Memoir, 16 Nov. 2010
I decided to read this book after someone brought it back to the library I work at declaring angrily that it's author should have been shot. I looked at the blurb and discovered that said author, Ronald Skirth, fought in the First World War and after coming across a the body of a dead German vowed never again to help take a human life. He committed acts of sabotage such as altering gun trajectories so that the shells didn't cause harm. He also describes seeing comrades killed very often as the result of superior officers imbecilic orders. He came to believe that all wars are a wicked way of settling disputes and who can say how we may react when placed in extreme circumstances surrounded by death and terror. So I have to thank the person who brought the book to my attention but I vehemently disagree with his surmising conclusion and instead I salute the author's courage of conviction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillliant Book, 14 May 2010
Linda King (Ireland) - See all my reviews
From the very beginning of this book we become immersed in the life of young Ronald Skirth age 19 as he joins the army and goes off to France to join the war. His story is very well written and very readable. The dreadful months in the trenches are not written to shock, or boring in their awful detail but matter of fact and sensitive. We build a strong picture of a young and sensitive man surviving in very difficult conditions. I loved this book, it is a great read.The Reluctant Tommy: An Extraordinary Memoir of the First World War

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best!, 17 Feb. 2011
I have read many, many first hand accounts from the First World War and this ranks amongst the very best of them. When viewed alongside these others there is nothing that doesn't ring true. In fact there are passages that resonate personally, such as the descriptions of the difficulty of moving around the British positions at Asiago, a place I've personally visited and found to be just as Skirth has described. This is a really interesting account of a very interesting, if tragic, time. Despite the negative reviews here if you have even a passing interest in the First World War you will enjoy this book. Especailly so if you consider his time spent on the Italian Front, from which personal accounts from British soldiers are rare - I know of only two others: Gladden's 'Across the Piave' and Dalton's 'With British Guns in Italy'.

I've not got a lot of time for those who try to debunk the memories of those who actually served and who were there. I think you can safely ignore these amateur 'historians', especially those with personal agendas. I know who I believe but you should really give Skirth an opportunity to allow you to make up your own mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 19 Feb. 2011
A wonderful story, well written by an intelligent as well as a reluctant "Tommy".
The horror of warfare is detailed and the reaction of this soldier is interesting and shows the deep respect he had for human life and his determination not to kill where that was possible.His respect for life seemed to have been reinforced by his chance visit to a church where he witnessed the reverence of two people who had come to pray there. His reaction to seeing a young dead German soldier without a mark on his body made him understand that could have been himself. A thinking soldier and one who is able to put his thoughts into words
I was pleased to have read this book which I can recommend reserve

The Reluctant Tommy
The Reluctant Tommy by Duncan Barrett (Paperback - 6 May 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01