4.0 out of 5 stars Travel literature for men, 31 Aug 2010
John Middleton (Brisbane, QLD, AUST) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Outside Days (Paperback)
I am not a shooter, or fisherman, or rider to hounds (or otherwise, to be fair). Yet I enjoyed reading Max Hastings Outside Days, despite at times being aware how little of the language I understood. How many is a brace of partridges? What intracies am I missing by not knowing how to tie a fly? And there are a hundred other matters that I shall never learn in any detail. As a casual reader, I enjoyed the book - it is travel literature for men, I suppose. I assume a knowledgable reader would gain even more - or perhaps would be outraged and cry "piffle"!

While Hastings is better known as a military historian, there is none of that here. As the blurb states, these are quiet, contemplative pieces, each of only a few pages, talking about a hunting or fishing trip. If I were uncharitable, I would simply call it a collection of 25 year old newspaper or magazine articles - which it pretty clearly is, for the most part - but that completely misses the point: this is the perfect book to sit and read in a quiet moment, preferably in front of a roaring fire in a deep armchair.

This is an unashamedly masculine book, about killing things and (mostly off-screen) eating them, for sport rather than sustenance. Oddly, this is gentle and entrancing to read. It's a strange dichotomy, but it works, and this is due to Hastings' skill as a writer.

There is a final endnote to the book, a look (from 1989) about the future of field sports. With hindsight, this takes on a somewhat different reading. It is a shame that the author could not contribute a new introduction to this 2010 reprint, but that, I suppose, is publishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent author, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Outside Days (Paperback)
This was a present for someone I know loves Max Hastings books, He says Nax is a very truthful author

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuine country lover, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Outside Days (Kindle Edition)
This is a fantastic gentleman telling tales that only country people understand Long may he continue and his pen never run dry as well as his glass

Outside Days
Outside Days by Max Hastings (Paperback - 20 Aug 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01