5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent account of this forgotten war
My knowledge of the Korean War has always been very limited, and like many people, mine has been slanted by the 1970s TV series MASH.

In this book, Hastings gives us a detailed yet very readable account of the origins of the war, it early prosecution and the need for the US to gain support from others to give itself the fig leaf of pretence that this was a UN...
Published on 2 July 2011 by Simon Welch

3.0 out of 5 stars Start of the Korean war
This book is well put together, recording the initial confusion and 'cock up' by our American allies not long after the end of ww2. Slow moving in places, like the American Army! Not an exciting read.
Published 9 months ago by T. Hunt

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read, 27 May 2013
The Korean War seems to have suffered from a lack of interest when compared to the war in Vietnam although as Max Hastings notes in this book, many of the mistakes the US made in Korea were later to be made again in Vietnam. Max Hastings in this book mixes personal accounts with a general description of the political and military history of the conflict.

5.0 out of 5 stars The forgotten war, 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Korean War (Pan Military Classics) (Paperback)
I had only a vague understanding of this war. I knew that there was fluctuating movement of troops up (North) and and down (South) and the conflict proved to be the demise General McArthur. I also knew that the Chinese got involved. However that was it. I wanted a text that did not go through each movement of troops and battles by the minute; I get hopelessly bogged down with that type of analysis. Instead I wanted to be informed about this war, its origins, the major players and exactly what did occur during this forgotten conflict. I read some peer reviews and was guided towards this book on that basis. Once I began reading it, I was impressed immediately and couldn't put it down. Sir Max took on the admirable role of a commentator, which was exactly what I wanted. I will not provide a detailed break down for to do so would spoil it for others. Instead I provide some personal comments.

Both North and South were led by tyrants with little regard for human life. Sadly, the North has not changed (as far as I can see) but eventually the South under American tutelage, has become a democratic and prosperous nation. The American forces developed respect for the Peoples Liberation Army (the Chinese) but were shocked by the sheer barbarism exhibited by both North and South Koreans. Pitifully few nations in the guise of UN supported US action. The armistice of 1953 was obtained because the Chinese realized that although they could throw endless troops into the fray, they could not match the technological superiority of the US (UN) force. However, very few UN nations supported the US. The British and the Commonwealth provided most but it was a token offer. Seemingly many nations forgot rapidly, the contribution of the US to WW2.
Want to know more? Go buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Sep 2014
Very Good

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so impressed, 6 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Korean War (Paperback)
Having read this book after several others on the subject I found it a little disappointing. It's obvious that the author is British because a larger portion of the book is devoted to the British units than is probably justified considering they comprised only a small fraction of the UN forces. For a more insightful and comprehensive rendition of the events of the Korean War, I recommend "Korea: The Untold Story of the War" by Joseph C Goulden.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 25 Feb 2013
F DEL POZO BERENGUER (El Puerto de Santa María) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Korean War (Pan Military Classics) (Paperback)
I was looking forward to reading something about the war in Korea, and what better than picking up a book by an author I had read before and very much liked? I had much enjoyed Hastings'and Jenkings' book on the Falklands War. It is very well written and covers all aspects of the conflict, I believe. In fact, it is the best book I have read about the Falklands, out of four. Well. I was in for a surprise with this book. I have been unable to finish it. I missed maps, of which there are some in the e-book version, but so small that they are worthless. I rarely put down a book about military history, but this one was too boring to keep going.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting historical account, 24 Jun 2013
Interesting historical account of events leading up to and during the Korean War but it's not exactly a 'gripping' read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could not get in to it, 27 May 2013
This book was very hard to get into, I found it quite boring this one was not for me I am afraid.

3.0 out of 5 stars just about ok, 24 May 2013
Too long.could have been half its length and would have been twice as good a read.at only 99p it wasn't too expensive.

3.0 out of 5 stars War book for drunks, 19 May 2013
This review is from: The Korean War (Pan Military Classics) (Paperback)
My first Korean war book, informative if it was half the size. It is worth reading with these limitations. Definitely not a serious academic read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work, 17 Jun 2013
Although I found this book interesting from an historical pointing view, I found it quite dry and not as gripping as some of Hastings' other military works.

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›

The Korean War (Pan Military Classics)
The Korean War (Pan Military Classics) by Max Hastings (Paperback - 17 Sep 2010)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 weeks