5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Floydy
Published on 16 Nov 2009 by Joan Cecil

3.0 out of 5 stars top book of you love food and love a character!
KL was obviously a flawed man. You can see this from the honesty of this book ( I am sure there is far more). But it reads like a man who is at least showing us something of his life, may be not the whole, but and interesting , if not compelling read.
Published 9 months ago by cjg@totalise.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Floydy, 16 Nov 2009
Joan Cecil (Gloucestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This book was written at the very end of Keith Floyd's life,and although I found it very sad it is essential to read it to round off his story. The "Ghost", James Steen, has done an excellent job, Keith Floyd was in the mood to talk and reminisce about his past, at times angry, sad or resigned, and Steen has condensed what must have been many hours of thoughts and words into a well rounded book. So many people in Floyd's life took advantage of his generous nature, and in this book it all comes back - unlike the previous episodes of his autobiography where he was still positive and full of optimism. In this book he talks in greater depth of the saddest times, holding nothing back. There will never be another Floyd, I was lucky enough to meet him at a book signing and he was just as his TV self, a real gentleman with humour, a great love of food, wine and life. Floydy, you will be sorely missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I simply did not want this book to end..........., 22 Mar 2010
L. Milton (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
I have always admired and enjoyed the work of Keith Floyd and do believe that he started a whole generation of would be amatuer cooks as well as quite a few professional ones! I watched the programme on him just before he died and was quite saddened and amused at the same time and for me this is what Keith was and what his book relays - a whole mix of emotions! I was glad when the snow arrived in January after receiving my book, as it meant that rather than drive to work, I could use the time on the bus, to read it as I didnt want to put it down! I was very sad when I came to the end of the book as I knew that this was it - there would be no more Floyd. If you enjoyed his TV programmes you will enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great look into the life and times of Floyd, 5 Nov 2009
Barry Drohan (Exmouth) - See all my reviews
I eagerly awaited this book and was not disappointed at all - it's a great insight into the life and times of one of my all times heroes - Keith Floyd. The book details his early career, rise to fame, time when work was either non-existant or scarce and when the demons of life became too much. Some of the book is well known and previously documented but much was a revelation to me and some was down right uncomfortable to read and bordering on being far too honest for his own good.
It is with great regret that this book came out as Keith's life ended but is a fitting tribute to the man who made cookery interesting, honest and fun - today's chef's just do not come close.
This man is the reason I enjoy cooking so much today - no buggering about, just good wholesome regional cooking without frills or fancy.
My one regret is having been in the presence of Keith I never had the bottle to get his autograph.

Rest in Peace Keith and thanks for the fun, the food and the memories.............

4.0 out of 5 stars Floyd On Time, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Stirred But Not Shaken: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Keith Floyd had the true chef's knack of great timing. He happened to start cooking commercially in Bristol ahead of the "New Wave" of TV celebrity chefs at a time when Bristol was full of BBC programme-makers looking for new characters and ideas. So all the menu items were there for what followed, with "Floydy" as the secret ingredient to recreate the distinctive flavour of cooking-to-camera. In picking up (by Floyd's own admission) the mantle of The Galloping Gourmet Graham Kerr, Keith re-set the template for the next twenty years through Rick Stein and Antonio Carluccio to Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver. So plenty to thank him for (and plenty to blame him for too!). And after a roller-coaster twenty year career in and out of the spotlight, Floydy eventually sets about putting it all down in writing and then promptly dies as soon as his ghosted autobiography is finished. But if he had a talent for timing, there were many other areas of life where he was less than proficient, including financial management, judging people's characters, sustaining relationships, etc, etc. Every time the author picks himself up off the kitchen floor, you know it won't be long before he's flat on his face again. He claims his trade-mark glass of red wine was a mere stage prop, but booze seems to have been the key part of his regular downfalls. The dominant flavours of this book are the author's charm and charisma which mean you are always on his side as he goes through business failures, divorces, bankruptcy, loneliness and finally illness. There's a genuine sense of loss at the end, and a feeling that we all should have appreciated Floydy a bit more when we had the chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Live Floyd's Food, 6 April 2012
This review is from: Stirred But Not Shaken: The Autobiography (Paperback)
As we are wont to remind ourselves when someone passes, 'we will always have what they gave us'. In Floyd's case, what he gave us was much indeed. Essentially it was the passion - for food, for life and even for love, although at his own admission he never seemed to be able to make it last (the love that is). This testament to a touching, hilarious, witty, sometimes vexing but always authentic human being was completely un-put-downable. Luckily I got it as a Mother's Day gift so was able to guiltlessly lie around all day and read the best part of it, finishing off in stints standing at the cooker later in the week. If you want a book that makes you laugh, cry and go 'aw' all at once, this is it - he was a legend and must have been tremendous fun to have as a friend. I thoroughly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitting remembrance to a decent chap, 23 Dec 2011
What can I say, don't read many autobiographies these days but picked this up as I used to love watching the show immensely. He was one of the new breed of chefs with lots of character and exuberance, drank hard lived life to the max. Lots of lovely anecdotes about how he started, got into the business, his life, his foibles, his mistakes (quite a few) and ups and downs. Overall one of my favourite reads and highly recommended for its light hearted approach. The book get a little sombre towards the end, maybe he saw the writing on the wall but great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Floyd, 5 Feb 2010
G. Scholes - See all my reviews
If you like Keith Floyd from the TV and you like to read, you should enjoy the book. Reading it, I could imagine Floyd's voice telling the story of life, restaurants, friends and filming. He captuers the good, the bad and the frustrating times in a way that you can easily visualise.

4.0 out of 5 stars I always have been a Floyd fan, he genuinely ..., 1 Aug 2014
S. Irwin (UK) - See all my reviews
I always have been a Floyd fan, he genuinely was the person who got me interested in food and how to cook it. The book is an insight to him, it tends to reflect his thoughts at a single moment in time and sometimes the book feels a little "bitty" rather than a cohesive story. It does seem to be an honest story though and some of his bitterness of life shows through but so does his perhaps, naïve, trust in people.
Read it if you want a snippet of the mans life but don't read it if you want an in depth look at the man. Its left me feeling there was something left in the closet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Better But Still A Good Read, 17 Feb 2010
Brian Newbould (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Yes you do get the impression that it is a bit of a rush job, particularly towards the end but perhaps his health was worse than we or even he knew, it being barely a couple of months before he passed away. One thing is certain, it is eons better that his previous 'Out Of The Frying Pan' bio.

Its a tad slow to build, contains too much on some aspects of his life and not enough of others. Despite the swift ending the final two thirds or thereabouts of the book are particularly good; sad, funny, tragic et'al as he pours his heart out with such downright honesty.

As another reviewer commented virtually nothing on one of his best series, 'Floyd Uncorked' with J. Pedley. I was really looking forward to that 'episode' but it never arrived, perhaps nothing much happened although as I type I cannot believe that! It was the only real disappointment as the rest made exceptionally easy reading, the at times random, disjointed aspect reflected his character perfectly, thus I feel enhancing not distracting from the books appeal by providing a more accurate and vivid picture of him talking directly to the reader.

I have followed Floyd for many years but not especially for his cooking! I followed Floyd for his innate style and irreverence, his 'no nonsense' presentation and to the great credit of his 'team' the wonderful backdrops and mini guides of the areas he visited. He will be sadly missed but this book and no doubt the many repeats on cable will help keep his spirit (!) alive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Floyd Fan, 12 July 2014
Honest sad and funny a great read shame though I'd have love to see him back on tv all the best cloudy in that great restaurant in the sky

Stirred But Not Shaken: The Autobiography
Stirred But Not Shaken: The Autobiography by Keith Floyd (Paperback - 7 May 2010)
Usually dispatched within 10 to 12 days