Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 March 2014
The delivery came before the estimated time. I have not read it yet but browsed through and it looks as if I shall enjoy the content. New condition.
on 12 October 2015
There is just something really engaging about the way Marr narrates this historical record of Modern Britain. A really enjoyable and detailed read.
on 14 September 2011
A great romp through post war britain. Get's shakier and duller towards the end - maybe it's too familiar? - but the post war stuff's fascinating.
on 13 April 2015
Just can't get through it because of interuptions when i cannot get any book reading. I do find it interesting to know what happened last century
on 6 November 2014
An excellent read, full of facts and memories. I lived through these times and didn't realise the amount of backbiting and intrigue that went on.
on 27 August 2007
A superb work of erudition and style for the lay reader (I didn't know much about British history before I read this, other than the bare bones, and probably still do now, who knows) but to my untrained eye this seems a fabulous work.

It simply makes one wonder how he managed to synthesize so many different perspectives and sources into one coherent whole - and written with such verve and panache that one is left wishing the book will never end.

My only criticism - and it is a strong one - is that his language is far too laid back - not becoming at all of a BBC publication. He leaves himself open to charges of belonging to what has been called the 'liberal élite'. Words such as 'wadge', 'swagger' inter alia abound, and grammatical errors are simply legion and simply unconscionable for a BBC publication.

Still - definitely worth a read - everything you weren't taught at school about the subject.
on 14 January 2016
Can't wait to read it! I read parts of it during my History lessons and it is really interesting but also helpful for extra background knowledge
on 3 January 2016
An excellent summary of the modern age and how it was formed. Any level of reader will enjoy this book. It is bright, witty and full of zest.
on 24 April 2015
I have lived some of the history but it was interesting to see an overview of the events that went on around me and before. An excellent read.
on 13 November 2014
Very informative on the subject. I lived through much of the period Andrew writes about. Clear and delightfully easy to read for a layman.