5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent
I guess the greatest gift that I writer can give is a little of his own soul. All three books in "The Border Trilogy" give the reader such a profound feeling of having been written from the heart, that to finish each book is like parting with a friend, and the completion of the Trilogy is like bereavement. One of the aspects that make these books so affecting is...
Published on 12 Mar 2001 by J. Beevers

3.0 out of 5 stars And adios to an annoying and overrated writer
Page 206: "the last time he was to see her was....." .... and that's the end of Cormac McCarthy for me. No need to torture myself reading the last x pages: I know what happens. I know, as in the first two novels - here's a writer who includes his own spoilers. So farewell to New / Mexico, whorehouses, horses, pithy cowboy dialogue and a side-order of the Cormac...
Published 4 days ago by Chas. Dickens

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy reader!, 5 July 2014
Sonja (BRISTOL, Avon, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cities of the Plain: 3/3 (Border Trilogy) (Paperback)
Yes. Delivery, quality ... all was exactly like stated.. happy to shop here again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 26 Oct 2013
An amazing trilogy, I've read the trio three times.
modern western of thought invoking quality.
Great descriptive passages. Must go to Mexico

5.0 out of 5 stars Cities of the Plain, 6 Oct 2013
Characters featured in 'All the Pretty Horses' and 'The Crossing' come together to make an engrossing tale.
The finale, whilst almost inevitable, is tragic and quite disturbing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Read, 3 May 2013
McCarthy brings everything to life, I have never been there and probably never will, but I see the countryside and feel its emptiness and small kindnesses and daily struggle

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 11 Mar 2013
This is a book that draws you in and holds your attention from cover to cover. I became so completely absorbed that I felt a distinct sense of loss when it came to an end. I heartily recommend the border trilogy, it contains some of the most compelling writing that I have ever experienced.

5.0 out of 5 stars PEERLESS, 1 Jan 2013
Scribbler (Ashford, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cities of the Plain: 3/3 (Border Trilogy) (Paperback)
As the final book of the trilogy, Cities of the Plain is perhaps slighter than the first two stories - but no less moving and tragic for that. McCarthy offers us little hope in the stories of John Grady Cole and Billy Parham, both essentially good characters who suffer for their love of horses and the cowboy way of life. The ending is somewhat arcane and you need to stick with it to discover the message of the entire trilogy. I can give this work no higher endorsement than to say that I started riding lessons as a result of the way he describes man's complicated relationship with the horse!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyalty, courage, love and death in the American West, 24 Dec 2012
Frrom boyhood when I used to watch Westerns with my Dad on a 12" screen B&W TV I have been a lifelong aficionado of novels and films about the American West. I love Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy, having read each of the 3 novels in sequence, I have no doubt that I will re-read them. McCarthy's use of language is brilliant, poetic, and my advice is to savour his writing, resisting the temptation to turn the pages too quickly while following the action. The novel deals with time-honoured themes of loyalty, courage, love and death. Buy Cities of the Plain.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Border Trilogy, 26 Nov 2012
I consider the McCarthy's Border trilogy on a par with Updike's Rabbit opus as a document to chronicle a part of Americana that we do not often appreciate here in the UK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy finale, 8 Nov 2012
All The Pretty Horses and The Crossing are amongst the best books I've ever read. Although COTP tends to ramble a bit and is a little too long, it is ultimately rewarding and a worthy finale to a fantastic trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, 4 Dec 2011
Daniel Bowman "Danny" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cities of the Plain: 3/3 (Border Trilogy) (Paperback)
McCarthy finishes off the Border Trilogy with this absolute game killer of a book. This final part of the trilogy set in the early fifties in a rapidly changing America. John Grady (protagonist from the first book; All the Pretty Horses) and Billy Parham (protagonist from the second book; The Crossing, are friends working on a ranch just outside of Alamogordo New Mexico. The military is about to buy the land in which the small downtrodden ranch is located and is a signal that the old western ways are fast dying out. From the get go we know that this book is going to be a little different. It opens with us finding John and Billy in a brothel. The comedic interaction between the two facilitated by stunning dialogue had me laughing out loud. Although the rest of the book features the Cormac standard descriptions of tough life in the borderlands, the author lays on story of John finding love in a young, troubled Mexican prostitute who suffers from an unspecified malady. With increasing desperation John tries to come up with a scheme to rescue his love from the high end Mexican brothel she works in in Juarez and bring her back over the border to come and live with him in a small adobe shack he has renovated for them both. His friend Billy, tries to reason with him - citing that the villains that run the brothel as one of many problems John's plan faces - again via some brilliant and funny dialogue but begrudgingly lends a hand. It would impossible to go into more without giving too much away, but just when you think this is going to be the same old same old. McCarthy hits us with a conclusion and epilogue that is quite out of character for his usual. And by god it was juts the thing. An absolute classic story. do read All The Pretty Horses and The Crossing before this'un. But this book is way out there in terms of storytelling. As an author myself I could only look on in awe at the masterstrokes of who I consider to be the greatest living writer.

Cities of the Plain: 3/3 (Border Trilogy)
Cities of the Plain: 3/3 (Border Trilogy) by Cormac McCarthy (Paperback - 1 Jan 2010)