5.0 out of 5 stars Just so, so different....
Inured to the ever-promised and never-delivered 'brilliance' and 'shockingly compelling' blurbs of UK crime fiction, I thought I would go in a completely different direction. I read four books by McCarthy, this one, 'Outer Dark', also 'The Orchard Keeper and 'Blood Meridian'. What a revelation! Entirely different and refreshing. Dark, brutal, unforgiving, actually...
Published on 4 May 2010 by Nicodemus Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable but enthralling
After reading McCarthy's The Road I knew that I wouldn't enjoy any other subject matter he touched on as much but I was still eager to see if his writing style appealed to me. My second crack at McCarthy was Child of God - the story of Lester Ballard. Ballard is an outcast from society who lives on the fringe and soon finds himself acting in ways unacceptable by...
Published on 31 Jan 2010 by M. Emerson

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible writing!, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Child of God (Paperback)
Incredible work from Cormac McCarthy. Extremely dark and the narrative is great. Short chapters which you'll find you'll keep going to the next one and finish the book very quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the standard of his others, 15 Jun 2014
Hfffoman (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Child of God (Paperback)
This was my fourth Cormack McCarthy novel. I gave the others 5 stars. I like the way he shows the darkest corners of humanity and yet gives little glimmers of light. This offers darkness and throws no light. It is a character study of a depraved down and out. But it is short on the study and long on the depravity. I found little justification or insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top book, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Child of God (Kindle Edition)
Really good book, couldn't put it down. Quite dark & disturbing but McCarthy brilliance in scene setting & inclusion is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE, MODERN DAY CLASSIC!, 15 April 2014
Greggorio! (Amazing Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Child of God (Kindle Edition)
When Cormac McCarthy writes, not only does he produce works of literature that entertain the mind, heart and soul of the reader, but he produces for us mere mortals works of such articulate expositions of the human condition that we are left in a state of joyful bewilderment. We read journeys of the human sentience-ness which plum the depths of depravity or ones that rise up ,up, up into the heavens to soar like an eagle caught up in the breath of God.

The trouble with McCarthy's works is that you pick them up and it is not until you are past the halfway mark that you realise that you are reading something that is not meant for the common man. By then, of course, it is too late to stop and put the darn thing down so you go on reading page by page, guiltily and silently turning over and casting your eyes across the next one, not quite believing what you are seeing. Sometimes you find yourself with a smirk on your face, or you emit a snort of derision but most times you are forced to wipe a tear or two away from your eyes as they cope with the beauty of the printed page beneath them. CHILD OF GOD is like this. For example, taken from 126 - 127:

"... He followed this course for perhaps a mile down all its turnings and through narrows that fetched him sideways advancing like a fencer and through a tunnel that brought him to his belly, the smell of the water beside him in the trough rich wi minerals and past the chalken dung of he knew not what animals until he climbed up a chimney to a corridor above the stream and entered into a tall and bell shaped cavern. Here the walls with their soft looking convolutions, slavered over as Pitney were wet with blood red mud, had an organic feel to them, like the innards of some great beast. Here in the bowels of the mountain Ballard turned on his light on ledges or pallets of stone where dead people lay like saints."

What a fantastic way to end a chapter! Anyway, the book is about a crazy mixed up son of a gun named Lester Ballard. As the story progresses we witness his transformation from unpopular loner into a seriously deranged and dangerous serial killer who obviously has no idea about social or ethical / moral boundaries. Toward the end I kept thinking that Ballard is a modern day version of Tolkien's Gollum, always heading back to the safety and darkness of his underground cavern. The only difference I could see was that Ballard was not eternally questing for his 'preciousssss' but instead I felt that he was searching for something much simpler, and yet for Ballard, equally unobtainable. Human companionship.

An amazing book that is a worthy recipient of my five star rating.

BFN Greggorio!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down., 11 April 2014
This review is from: Child of God (Paperback)
One of McCarthy's best I think, but too short. I read it the same day I got in in the mail. Really fun. Scary, shocking, all you could ask for if you are a Cormac fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 17 Mar 2014
High Seas Drifter (On the road in Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Child of God (Paperback)
This as dark and as brutal as McCarthy gets. Despite the antihero's deviant and shocking acts, you still feel a degree of pity for him as society continually rejects him, though this doesn't justify what he does. It is one of those books wher tou finish a passage, and have to put the book down and think about what you have just read. I'm close to finishing his oeuvre now, and this is one of the best so far. Unforgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good book, 3 Mar 2014
MR "paddyman" (Naas, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Child of God (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and I love the author's writing - well worth the read. I wish it had been longer.

3.0 out of 5 stars great, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Child of God (Paperback)
Pretty like it . just a little hard for me as french to understand all the terms sometimes but i m learning ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic McCarthy, 12 Nov 2013
H. Hennessy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Child of God (Kindle Edition)
If you know his work already this is right on point. Dark, bleak, gritty stuff. But written with the skill for language that makes almost poetical. He takes a grim and controversial theme to the nth degree, even though the plot is sometimes uncomfortable reading his skill as a writer is stunning and compulsive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bleak and brilliant, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Child of God (Kindle Edition)
This is only the second Cormac McCarthy novel I have read, but I see the themes that make the stories so involving. The script is pared back and tough. Just a marvellous storyteller.

Child of God
Child of God by Cormac McCarthy (Paperback - 1 Jan 2010)
6.29