5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing genius
I am a Cormac MacCarthy fan but had not read his books in chronologic order, Blood Meridian is the most impressive, memorable book I have ever read. It is truly unputdownable (if that really is a word). He writes about the most disturbing and brutal things in such a beautiful and poetic way, that he paints vivid pictures in your mind which stay long after you have...
Published on 21 May 2010 by Tommy Dooley

2.0 out of 5 stars If this had been my first taste of Cormac McCarthy, I'd never go back.
Fortunately though, it wasn't. I know he can be brilliant, and indeed, when I saw gushings of "His Masterpiece", "Epic", "Turns American fairytale of discovery of the West on its head", etc splashed all over the cover, I thought, "Great!" I love his idiosyncratic style, his eye for detail, his interesting turns of phrase, and I must say, whatever its shortcomings, this is...
Published on 11 Feb. 2011 by Amanda Huggenkiss

‹ Previous | 115 16 1720 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Like many readers, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Blood Meridian (Paperback)
Like many readers, I found this book hard going. Not because of the amount of violence, because these were violent times, but because of the unreality of many of the sequences. Any gunman worth his salt would have put a bullet into the fat carcass of "Judge Holden" very quickly, as I could not see how a character like that would have had any influence over anyone. Some of the other characters also appear unrealistic, and any novel set in historical times has to portray characters that are believable. Some of the historical aspects ring true, and there are appearances of Apache Chiefs like Mangas Coloradas, and the cannibalistic Tonkawa Commanches, and no detail is spared of the violent actions of the time. However, the characterisation was nonsense in my view, and this was a shame, as the revisionist background deserves a good treatment, despite the distasteful nature of some of the scenes. Worth persevering for the historical mid 19th century pre-civil war period, which has been neglected by historians, but spoilt in my view by presenting characters who would have lasted about five minutes in the real West.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book on Kindle, 15 Jan. 2014
tHE WRITING STYLE WAS DIFFUCULT AS
THER THERE WAS VIRTUALLY NO PUNCTUATION. IT WAS DIFFICULT TO DOWN LOAD BUT OTHERWISE OK.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incomprehensible, 31 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Blood Meridian (Paperback)
This is really a struggle, trying to get to grips with the punctuation (or rather lack of it), archaic words and the Spanish (which is left untranslated) is very hard going. Although at first I really did like the atmosphere he created but I found that after a while I was just missing too many words or sentences through not understanding what he had written. With the result you could easily get confused as to what is going on. So gave up just over half way, a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present, 5 July 2015
Given away as present

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Feb. 2015
A masterpiece, fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars shattering, 2 Aug. 2013
C. midgley "nevercertain" (midlands uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Meridian (Paperback)
I read this in developing shock, and felt as if I had been flayed by the end of it. Not that the callous and casual violence were described with relish or detail, but by the overwhelming feeling that it was an everyday and inevitable tragedy. The fact that we can see a sophisticated society in the west, in such a short time since lives were so brutal, has made me think differently about cultures which have still not overcome this brutality, or about where it still emerges in our own.

2.0 out of 5 stars a bit of a drag, 25 Feb. 2011
No point to the story. Main character the kid[you dont even get to know his name] wonders among the mex/tex border towns doing nothing but maiming, killing and adultering lyricaly good almost poetry but i aint in to poetry if you like pretty words its good but i personaly found this book a drag it took me a month to finsh every time i attempted to read it i fount myself giving up. the road is a better read.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 5 July 2013
I've enjoyed some off Cormac McCarthy`s other books although none are particularly easy reads, I find the lack off punctuation throughout his books take a while to get used to. I found the characters in this book hard to care about one way or another and considering this has been called his masterpiece I thought it was not in the same league as the border trilogy and also a lot slower paced than no country for old men. I guess I'm in the minority!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Jun. 2015
ggreat quality

5.0 out of 5 stars This is McCarthy at his best., 4 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I think when McCarthy started on "The Border Trilogy" he might have been seeking a wider audience since the books were more of an "easy" read. "Blood Meridian" was not simply about violence-- It goes much deeper than that I think. It's about something that "will never die."
Perhaps one has to be a bit of an existentialist to really appreciate this book.

‹ Previous | 115 16 1720 | Next ›

Blood Meridian
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (Paperback - 1 Jan. 2010)