on 30 January 2011
If you've read Bolano's novels you'll know he's a poet. Recent folklore suggests he only started writing novels because he became a father and mortality started knocking at his door - he died from cancer aged just 50. But, and here's the rub, his novels are poems - elongated albeit, poet-centric definitely, but sprawling poems nevertheless. So why am I seemingly the first reviewer of these shiny gem-seeds?

A reviewer on the back cover states their attraction appears in an 'unfinished' state - not so. You should buy this brilliant slim bi-lingual edition for the pure vagabond nature of their composition. This is not European poetry re-formatted for exam success, it's an articulation of a voice who believes in shifting and can convert this essential kinetic energy into something both shudderingly knowable and, at the same time, transient.

I'm a middle aged bloke who, rather sadly, boasts a poetry collection of maybe some 200 volumes but this is the ONE. Get it for so many reasons; a truly South (not North) American perspective; a real excuse not to buy the many biographies that shall surely follow ([[ASIN:0330509527 The Savage Detectives]does this admirably} but also, maybe just maybe, you know a dislocated potential reader of poetry, someone who wants to kick against the pricks of establishment literature, someone who wants to savour the salacious underbelly of an unsettled lifestyle. Maybe it's you?

The good news is there's more to come. Savour an unheralded masterpiece.
on 6 May 2011
This poetry is very advanced, with layers and layers of meaning, but at the same time it has the potential to enchant people that aren't normally into poetry. Take some time, imagine the scenes and truly enjoy this wonderful collection from the novelist who always wanted to be a poet if it wasn't for the fact that he had children to provide for.
on 24 May 2011
The book I purchased was lost in the mail somehow... I contacted the company after it did not arrive on the last due date and they contacted me that same day. They gave me whatever option I wanted to deal with the missing of my book and the delay. They re-sent the book. I am dissappointed that there were so many complications with my purchase, but give the company and overall experience a 4 because they responded so quickly and had great customer service.