4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically funny, but not a thrilling and grand finale
This book is quite different from the other four in the Universe's only five-part "trilogy". Once again, you need to have read the whole series to appreciate it, but there's a lot that's not there in this supposed final book.
More like a set of short stories about Arthur Dent, Trillian and Ford Prefect, the greater part of the book is hugely entertaining and...
Published on 8 April 2005 by Amanda Richards

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on the other four
After falling in love with the other four books of the series, you could do worse than to totally avoid the final installment. The overall feeling is of a novel which has been rushed out to meet a publishing deadline. I personally felt that the ending was so flimsy that it was an insult to anyone who had spent time reading the rest of the series. MOSTLY UNIMPRESSED.
Published on 5 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyably OK, 20 Sep 2013
I've really enjoyed the Hitchhikers series, and this was a pleasant enough end to the 'trilogy'. It doesn't even come close to the brilliance of the earlier books, which is why it doesn't score higher, but if you've read and enjoyed the previous titles there's nothing to fear here. Hovered between a 3 and 4 star rating

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 July 2013
It was a great end to a brilliant set of books I thoroughly enjoyed it best one in the series

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly harmless, 4 Jun 2013
D. Markham (Oxford University, England.) - See all my reviews
Due to: editorial constraints, legal issues, focus groups, the committee for political correctness and religious tolerance,,,, the 640 page review I wrote for this book containing academic wit and trans-tertiary verbosity of the highest quality has been cut to the following: Mostly harmless.

He gets a star off for having died before writing the follow-up.

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmmm, 18 April 2013
worth a read for the true hhg. fan but, definitely the poorest of the 5 books...don't bother even contemplating colfer = pants!!

3/10

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Pointless, 4 April 2013
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mostly Harmless: 5 (Hitchhikers Guide 5) (Paperback)
I am so mad at how the series ended. I'm so mad at this book, I almost wish I hadn't read it.

I felt it was a complete waste of this series, of Adams brilliance, and of my time. There were so many elements in this book that frustrated me to no end. The biggest being, why devote an ENTIRE book on Fenchurch, someone who I thought became an integral character, if you were going to off her in the next book? She doesn't even make an appearance, she's just mentioned in passing. Seriously? To end So Long on such a high and meaningful note, only to destroy all that in the next book. It's really just kinda sad.

And Zaphod, where the hell is he? I mean, he was one of the most important and key characters in this series. I felt like there was still so much to be revealed about him, so many unanswered questions, so much development yet to happen. And what of his connection with Trillian/Tracy? I mean, one Trillian was enough, but now I had to read about two different ones? One more annoying than the other.

Trillian had a lot of potential as a character, and yet in this book, both versions of her are portrayed as conceited and narcissistic. Very unlikeable. Arthur was as boring as ever. In fact, this whole book was boring. I had breezed through all previous books, and yet this one took me ages to get through.

There was no humour, no cleverness, it was like Adams has lost the will to write by the time he reached this book. I did read that Adams was at the lowest points of his life when writing this book, and I suppose that reflects in the way it's turned out. I also read that he had called this book "bleak", and I completely agree with that description.

I'm just frustrated that this series wrapped up the way it had. I had such high hopes of having it as a favourite of mine, but I don't know that I'd want to read them again knowing that they end this way. Then again, others have suggested to simply pretend this book does not exist and have it end with God's final message and Marvin's touching, yet mournful end.

Maybe I will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased wih itt, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Mostly Harmless: 5 (Hitchhikers Guide 5) (Paperback)
I gave it as a Christmas gift, and they were very happy with it So every one was happy on the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars kindle download, 24 Dec 2012
Mr. E. Bray (North-west United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought the series to replace my paperback copies, which are falling to bits. The books are lighthearted nonsense, and if you have read the previous parts, the plot will make more sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 10 Nov 2012
tabi (Southwell, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love these books! If you are having any doubt about whether to buy them just read the first few pages and you'll be hooked :)

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 25 Oct 2012
Mr. A. Burley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mostly Harmless: 5 (Hitchhikers Guide 5) (Paperback)
Sadly the last book of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series but but a great book to complete it and a good read on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still funny, 12 Aug 2012
The fifth and last book in the `trilogy' is a real return to form after the forth book.

It is very funny at times and more closely plotted than some of the others in the series.

There were some cracking lines and characters and perhaps an unexpectedly darker edge to the proceedings. It was good to see the return of some old and much loved characters and species.

They way that things are tied up and the satirical elements and actually having a workable plot really do leave me in awe of the talents of Douglas Adam's.

There can't be that many authors who could get so many laughs from sandwich making

Mostly Harmless: 5 (Hitchhikers Guide 5)
Mostly Harmless: 5 (Hitchhikers Guide 5) by Douglas Adams (Paperback - 1 Sep 2009)