5.0 out of 5 stars Upfront, Personal and Fascinating!
Published on 1 May 2009 by Linda McKenna

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading but don't expect to be blown away.
I've always really liked Coleen Nolan, so I was really looking forward to this book. I'm sorry to say I came away a little disappointed.

Published 11 months ago by Brooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Upfront, Personal and Fascinating!, 1 May 2009
There are those who say that your life is mapped out for you before you are even born and whoever sealed Coleen Nolan's fate certainly gave her an interesting, varied and challenging life! I confess I am a Nolan's fan and as I live not far from Blackpool, I remember Coleen as a child star and occasional local tv presenter. I think Coleen's story is one of the best celebrity autobiographies I have ever read! I just couldn't wait to read it and found it a real page turner, even if you are not a fan. Coleen tells it warts and all but she is an example to over 40s everywhere: she has fought and won her life long weight loss battle, carved out a new career and family life after a very public humiliation following the breakdown of her marriage to Shane Richie and her ultimate challenge and success, Dancing On Ice.The writing style engages the reader and you almost want to know what happens next even though most people are aware of Coleen's life as a Nolan, her stint on This Morning and more recently as a Loose Woman.I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it over three sessions. It does focus mainly on Coleen herself but brings you up to date with the other Nolans, male and female and the traumas that they have faced in life from Alzheimer's to breast cancer. Similarly, there is no effort to hide the less pleasant aspects of family life such as sisterly arguments which I would like to think could be resolved over time. Coleen comes across as a very gutsy lady who has made some shrewd financial decisions but she has certainly earned her pay. She may have had some very fortunate breaks in the course of her career but who knows what fate has in store? Let's hope it takes her to greater heights.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book with no self pity or animosity, 4 Aug. 2009
Well being a big fan of Coleen's i looked forward to to receiving this book, and i can say i was not dissapointed, im not a huge fan of autobiography's as a rule but this was excellent and what was good, was you could just hear here saying some of the stuff in your head and you think "yep that sounds like Coleen" from the life on the road with the Nolans to her abortion, her problamitic relationship with Shane Ritchie, problems in the family, and the difficut acceptance of her second husband Ray into the family, the problems from being dropped on This Morning it is never written with any self pity, she seems to always want to see the good in people, and never sounds bitter or shows any kind of animosity to her ex husband (although how, beats me id have punched him long ago).

a really really good read of a person who most women can relate to from marriage break ups to weight issues "its ok to have one biscuit with my cup of tea, just not the whole packet",Coleen Nolan is one read no-one should be without

5.0 out of 5 stars Coleen Nolan - Upfront & personal, 5 July 2009
If you like Coleen Nolan you'll love this book and some lovely photos. It's just as if she is talking to you personally, telling her life as a child, how she felt when she found out about the abuse of her sister Ann by her father, her marrige to Shane Richie and her life now. A good book to take on holiday, you won't want to put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 18 Mar. 2014
Really enjoyed this book. Good recount of the life of an ordinary family who happened to sing and how their talent affected or sometimes blighted their lives. At times I sympathised with Coleen & at others I didn't like her!

5.0 out of 5 stars coleen nolan upfront and personal, 7 Jun. 2012
as i am a huge fan of coleens and the nolans, i had to buy this book. i have only just got it and already am reading it. it is second hand, but it is in very good condition as stated

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring story, 1 May 2009
I really enjoyed this book. I love Coleen on Loose Women and wanted to see if she was the warm and down to earth person she seems to be on the show. I wasn't disappointed. She writes with total honesty about such difficult issues as her confused feelings for her father, who sexually abused her sister Anne, and about her loss of confidence in herself as a woman when Shane cheated. I almost cried when I read about her beautiful marriage to Ray. I'm glad she came through the tough times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read-tells it like it is, 20 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Upfront and Personal: The Autobiography (Paperback)
This book was an excellent read, i thorougly enjoyed it.Colleen seems a really nice genuine person, and is very pretty too, so she has it all. People will not be disappointed with her story, nothing is barred, in fact i coulden't put it down. I see she's began to write other books too, great, i will buy them

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading but don't expect to be blown away., 18 May 2014

It IS an easy read and it’s a book you can put down and return to at any times (weeks passed in my case) so if you are looking for something that’s not too challenging, then this book delivers at a very reasonable price.

What let me down was that Coleen comes across as an engaging, likable and amusing character on TV, but somehow she doesn’t translate well in written words.

There are interesting snippets of gossip to keep fans pleased and undoubtedly women of all ages will relate to certain aspects and elements of her life. In all honesty I couldn’t get involved with her story and it didn’t really interest me. More substance and less fluff would’ve made a more gripping read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luvinit, 9 Mar. 2015
Real life account of yet another ordinary family, with extraordinary capacity to love, but also to hurt, one another deeply. A welcome education to me on the effects of showbiz on families. Thanks Colleen. Top marks on being a solid mum and wife. You have your priorities right. You nurtured Shane snr with all of your capacity, but comes a day when others have to take responsibility for their actions AND whtat they've done to you, too, along the way. I'm just so pleased your Ray was able to come into your life, despite the possible hurdle/distraction of your public fame, and take away so much tension, fear and vulnerability for all three of you. Clara is blessed, like your boys, to have such a strong, kind man as Ray in your family unit as dad. Thanks for your honesty too. God bless you all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real story, 25 Feb. 2013
I bought this because I was a fan of coleen and Shane and wanted to be nosey really. In reality I was more of a fan of Shane but after reading the book I became more of a fan of coleens and really had respect for her for her forgiving nature and patience. She is a better person than me for the way she handled the way Shane was. I think it makes you understand coleen as a person rather than just a person on the telly. A proper insight into her life as a Nolan sister, growing up in the limelight, her loves, her ups and her downs and how all these things shaped her life to what it is now. Well worth a read :)

Upfront and Personal: The Autobiography
Upfront and Personal: The Autobiography by Coleen Nolan (Paperback - 2 Oct. 2009)