on 24 February 2004
I enjoyed this book for the simple fact that it was an unusual story... I mean, a PIANO TUNER!!! It was lovely in places, and really made me imagine the spicy air of Burma during the reign of Victoria, but at the same time there was just something.... missing. I have no idea what it was, but I'll say something for Daniel Mason, he writes beautifully and it certainly made me cry in the end
on 14 November 2004
I have to disagree with previous reviewers - I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
The writing is so descriptive you journey with him, see the strange sights through his eyes, smell the same smells, and feel his sense of excitement and apprehension in a foreign land.
It's the story of the adventure, love and loss of an ordinary man in extrordinary circumstances. I loved it!
on 17 February 2013
Brilliant read, well- written. Only snag is that I didn't realise that this book was large format which I find inconvenient - wish it that stated that. Otherwise would be 5 stars.

Prompt delivery.
on 10 June 2005
I am struggling through this book. The writer seems to spend more time explaining his surroundings in the tropical forests of Burma (in a very repetitive fashion) and how one actually tunes a Piano, than he does on creating an interesting story. I refuse to give up on any book, but this one has got to be the slowest read ever.
on 28 July 2007
It took me a few chapters to get into this book but once I was used to the writing style I found I couldn't put it down. The talent that Daniel Mason has to conjure the spirit and feeling of his setting is incredible - if I closed my eyes I felt like I could see, smell and touch Burma and its people. The story kept me gripped, especially once Edgar had reached Burma and the ending was heartbreaking. An incredibly clever twist. Not a perfect book but it is so clever and the writing so evocative and powerful that I couldn't give it less than 5 stars. Certainly one of the most talented authors I've come across in recent years.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 September 2008
I can't quite decide if I liked this or not. It really depends on whether the plot of a book is important or whether it's the atmosphere and tone. This book doesn't have a great deal of plot - Victorian piano tuner travels to Burma to tune a piano - but it's wonderful at evoking the sights and sounds and smells of Burma. And I liked the ambiguity of it and how it doesn't end tidily with everything wrapped up.
on 11 February 2016
Great Story.
on 8 March 2016
Excellent
on 7 August 2006
I read this on holiday in Cuba, a good book with an unusual story line but one which you need to read again a couple of years later to get the full value from it.

The ending left me in deep thought for a couple of days afterwards as no other book has done.

To cap it all the day I finished it I walked in to the hotel reception area to find two men tuning the hotels grand piano, never seen a piano tuned before, most strange.
on 3 June 2003
This is an intriguing and engaging story set in a beautiful and exotic land. A wonderful way to escape for a couple of hours- you'll come away with the most amazing landscapes and images in your mind.