5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books, but a word of caution
I read these books many years ago. I watched the BBC TV series, and unfortunately also watched the movie released a couple of years ago.

The books are fabulous and always bring a smile to my face when I read them, or someone quotes them to me (something my boss seems to like doing a lot ;))

The word of caution relates to the product description...
Published on 16 Aug 2010 by Mel

3.0 out of 5 stars Revisiting a classic
I re-read the Hitchiker's Guide over the summer while on holiday and had an interesting reaction. I first read it in my teens and thought it was a masterpiece, side-splittingly funny. It became the originator of a host of catchphrases among my circle of friends and we circulated dog-eared copies around our school until everyone seemed to be a fan. Revisiting it, I found...
Published on 4 Aug 2007 by Mr. A. Toner

‹ Previous | 124 25 2629 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Dec 2013
loved the book thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars Is There Anything Strange In The Universe?, 21 Nov 2012
T. T. Rogers - See all my reviews
'The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy' is one of those cult novels that 'everyone is supposed to read', but it passed me by for various reasons and I have only recently picked it up and read it.

Douglas Adams has created a universe in which the strange is normal. Or at least, what appears strange to us humans is in fact ordinary and normal for the rest of the Universe: quite an astute commentary on the state of scientific knowledge today. This book is also a biting social/sociological satire, a dark side that only shows itself in shades; but quite apart from the serious angle, the story is also highly entertaining in its own right. The ending felt disappointing in that it was precipitous and inconclusive. It felt like I was only halfway through the story, and suddenly that was it. The End. I was left with a sense that nothing of consequence had really happened, just this likeable bloke having a series of silly adventures and, bang, that's it. That said, there is a clear marker to a sequel. I also think the story is a little poorly-written in parts, with heavy (and, at times, irritating) use of dei ex machina, but this was Adams' first book and the overall quality is still good.

I think I'll bite and buy the sequel, if only to find out what happens next...but I'm in no hurry: Adams' series gives-off the impression of an overrated cult phenomenon and it's difficult to take it seriously when his cult followers seem to take it all seriously enough for the rest of us. Truth be told, this is not my cup of tea. The material is quite juvenile and I would say the right audience for this sort of stuff is young adult (say, 13 to 18). Admittedly, this book would make a curious and inquisitive teenager think about issues such as religion, fate and destiny and the role of chance, the value of science, the nature of knowledge, politics, capitalism and other social issues. It's probably also a very good book for a teenager who is either interested in astronomy or likely to take up such an interest with encouragement. I also think the book would be of value to a parent who wishes to encourage a young person to read: the fact there is a clearly sign-posted sequel and ensuing series will probably help in that respect.

My copy was the illustrated film tie-in edition. I must admit it was entirely chance that I ended up with this special edition and I didn't actually bother reading the tie-in sections, however having taken a glance at the interviews and other special features, it looks like this additional material would be of great interest to fans of the series, and so in that regard I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only the best, 2 Aug 2004
By A Customer
After the first chapter of this book, I was hooked, and finished the series in 3 days. Adams' style of writing is unparralel to any other and these books are truly one of the funniest, wittiest and most outrageous books I have ever read. You must own this. 42 out of 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars The weirdest book ever!, 30 Dec 2007
I have never read any of Douglas Adams books before; I found this book strange and a bit unusual. But I still enjoyed the story based on an Earthling called Arthur Dent, who wakes up one morning to find the council preparing to demolish his home. This is also the day when the alien Vogons demolish the planet Earth to make way for a hyperspace express bypass.
I decided to watch the film which I thought was good, but the book is in much more detail than the film. So I would recommend you read the book before you watch the film.
If you are somebody that enjoys funny and unusual things then this is the book for you. I think this book would mainly be aimed towards young teenagers and older as it has some things in it, which might be a bit hard for a child to understand. When I read and watched the Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy I felt like I was there, watching the Earth being demolished by the alien Vogons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bar the last two books, 11 July 2010
As per the title. The black humour and cynicism in the book displayed is so incredibly clever and memorable that you can't but help go back and read this again and again.

However by the 4th book in this complilation it starts to run out of steam in a big way that you ought to put the book down at this point as the comedy has been overlaboured and over used far too many times by then almost using injokes you'd heard from many books ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guide to Hitchhickers, 16 May 2003
By A Customer
I recently read hitchhickers guide to the galaxy and it was fantastic.Douglas Adams uses a blend of interesting characters, wonderful humour and a very original plot to create a sci-fi classic. The main character, Arthur Dent ends up on a spaceship powered by an improbability drive(don't ask) along with his alien friend Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian and Marvin the paranoid android.
This book is neither deep nor thought provoking but is hilarious and perfect if you are looking for a light, entertaining read.
One of the best books I have read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars good quirky humour, 30 Aug 2014
I'm probably a bit old for this (63) but I enjoyed the quirky humour of the story. I don't think I will be reading any more of the series in the near future though. That's just my preference, I like a good long book that i can get lost in.

3.0 out of 5 stars British Humour, 30 Jun 2013
I read this because it kept turning up in those top '100 books of all time' to read lists.
Not really my sort of humour, but it was an easy read and I did have the odd chuckle every now and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy and fun reading!, 27 Jan 2013
If you are looking for a light reading and you would not mind laughing yourself off, then this is the book you are looking for! You won't regret it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I don't get the hype!, 8 Nov 2014
Good, but I don't get the hype! Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Surely that's enough words now!

‹ Previous | 124 25 2629 | Next ›

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (The Hitchhiker series)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (The Hitchhiker series) by Douglas Adams (Paperback - 8 Mar 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01