on 13 February 2005
I have to admit that People Marriages is not really the sort of novel I'd normally read, but after picking it up and reading the first 20 pages, I was utterly hooked. It's like a grown-up, British version of Friends, following a group of couples through the ups and downs of their relationships and friendships. The novel manages to both be very funny and very true to life - it would be impossible not to recognise some of your own friends (and some of your own relationships!) in the characters drawn here. That's possibly the best thing about it, and why it works so well.
on 24 January 2007
This beautifully written book follows the lives and loves of Anna and her yoga practising boyfriend Richard, and their tight knit group of friends who Anna is using as case studies for her book about other peoples marriages; charity guru Valerie and her put upon husband Archie; Ruth and Dave (who just cant seem to grow up) and divorced couple Tony and Jean. Due to the ages and the lives of the characters it seemed a much more grown up book than those I normally read, and it took me much longer than I was expecting to get into. But thats not to say I didnt loose myself in the story eventually, which kept me engrossed right till the very end.