4.0 out of 5 stars Banks Shows No Sign Of Going Overdrawn
First of all the plot in this excellent novel is not a comfortable one and although the book is easy to get into it will no doubt not suit everyone. Acting Superintendant Alan Banks is having a pretty tough time at this point in his life. His wife is divorcing him, his kids are grown up and his current love interest is akin to catching a bar of soap in the bath. He is...
Published on 23 Jan. 2002 by Kenny JR

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark Doomy Depths
I read this book after being ensnared by the author coming from West Leeds, UK like myself. I found this book very dark within the characters. I'm not just talking the evil sadistic teacher or further souless characters you will meet, but even the policewoman and her circumstances and the stale emotional relationship between the main character and his girlfriend.
I...
Published on 1 May 2003 by Nicola Hopkins

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Aftermath, 29 Dec. 2014
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
DCI Alan Banks is acting Superintendent and in charge of the hunt for a serial killer dubbed 'The Chameleon'. He feels that he isn't cut out for running such a large operation which has seen five teenage girls go missing and he is struggling to come to terms with the prospect of finally severing his ties with his wife, Sandra. In the early hours of the morning the police in Leeds receive a call from a woman reporting a domestic disturbance and two police officers are sent to investigate. One of them is killed and another is left fighting to save her career and her sanity.

This is a harrowing and compelling story of evil in human form which will leave no one involved untouched. The book is well written with realistic and believable characters. The inherent violence in the story is described in a low key style which is much more shocking than if it had been described in graphic detail. I like the way the author is developing Banks as a character with all his human failings and virtues.

If you enjoy crime novels with psychological depth and an atmospheric background then try this excellent series. They can be read in any order but I think they are probably best read in the order in which they were published then you can follow the development of the series characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Banks at his best, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Aftermath (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
To any Inspector Banks fans, this book is a must.

But be warned, you need a strong stomach as the content is pretty dark and disturbing. I have to admit that if the synopsis on the back had revealed the subject matter, I would not have bought it.

Having said that, the Author does not dwell on unpleasantness and strikes the right balance to get the point across and develop the atmosphere.

After a report of a domestic disturbance, the two police officers who attend the house are put in an impossible situation leaving one dead and the other emotionally stressed to the limit. The latter is a character in the book with which the reader will have much empathy as the story progresses. The identity of the Chameleon, a serial killer of the vilest kind, has been revealed. But it doesnt end there. Banks and his colleagues are led down many avenues of enquiry, revealing detail of horrible events as the investigstion into the disappearance of several teenage girls gathers pace.

I will reveal no more here and the book is very hard to put down. I am glad that I have read it even though the subject is a dark one.

Peter Robinson is a firm favourite author of mine and I will continue to read the rest of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robinson keeps getting better, 16 Oct. 2002
By A Customer
If you read a lot of crime fiction you frequently run into the sophomore jinx or the writers version of it. Some writers can't repeat the success of a first novel and others write four or five great crime books and then go cold. I think Patricia Cornwell is an example of someone who was great and has now gone off the boil. But Peter Robinson, and I have only read his last three books numbers 10,11 and 12 in the Inspector Banks series, goes from strength to strength. Aftermath is a brilliant new twist on the police procedural the crime apparently being solved in the first few pages, and the rest of the book covering the tidying up of the many loose ends. Well Robinson keeps you hooked with his little subtle moves all the way to the end. Brilliant, I can't wait for Bank's next case and to find out how his complicated personal life will turn out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark Doomy Depths, 1 May 2003
This review is from: Aftermath (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
I was appalled to read such manipulative debauchery by a lead female character, believing naively that women couldn't possibly be like that!
The story was very good. Not squirming on the edge of your seat Horror or making you jumpy reading in bed Thriller. It was a pleasant read for the criminal minded and I certainly used a lot of brain cells trying to work the plot out( which I didn't !) It didn't make me feel good in any way by the end, just raised issues in my already choc a block mind. I did like the lead character Inspector Banks though which was cool.
The settings were miserable, even though the east coast isn't a very impressive place, I could feel the atmosphere created in the book which is a sign of good writing.
Don't expect feel good happiness here, but a story which will make you shudder comprehending the psychological Depths of the Human mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant spine chilling stuff, 5 Sept. 2003
Mrs. J. C. Taylor "janey_blue" (East Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aftermath (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
Also my first Robinson read. Brilliant plot. Not too much police procedure, which bores me rigid. As I've said in other reviews better that Rankin and Patterson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully complex but a detective story that makes sense., 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Aftermath (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
This is the first Peter Robinson novel that I have read and it won't be the last. This was an excellent thriller - both appropriately complex but also accessible. The story was believable with well-formed characters in well described settings. There were enough 'ongoing' story lines involving Inspector Banks to make me want to read the next (and previous) books. The conclusion was understandable but in no way a let down. This is how detective novels should be written - superb. I particularly liked how Peter Robinson described the settings - bringing Yorkshire and Humberside to life but not in the usual 'grim up North' cliched way popular with many novelists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fallout!!, 17 April 2010
Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Aftermath (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoy these Banks' crime fiction novels but whilst I found this gripping it made uncomfortable reading. Novelists need to examine social issues but had I read in the blurb the theme of this I wouldn't have bought it. Not denial, simply not what my reading for pleasure is about. However I was sufficiently compelled to finish it and I have Dead Right to read next so I am not put off PR, but this was disturbing reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 22 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Aftermath (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
This was the first time I had read a book by this author. It was excellently written, full of suspense and well-timed in its revelations throughout.
The sometimes sensitive subject matter was handled well, without gloss but no unnecessary gore. It was possible to second-guess a little bit and the main character Banks comes across as a bit of a cliche but all in all a great read. I couldn't put it down for a couple of days.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Tense Thriller, 3 Jun. 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aftermath (Audio CD)
Peter Robinson grew up in Yorkshire, and is the author of a number of previous novels featuring Inspector Banks. He is the winner of numerous awards in the United States, Britain and Canada, and in 2002 he won the CWA Dagger in the Library. As I also come from Leeds the background to his stories is something that I have experienced first hand and because of this I have a special affection for his books. However they would be first class crime fiction wherever they were based.

Two police constables are sent to an ordinary house, situated in an ordinary street, nothing unusual about that, but it is about to become infamous. The police officers are sent to the house to investigate complaints of a domestic disturbance. What they stumble upon is truly horrific scene which leaves one of the officers dead and the other one fighting for her life and her career.

The identity of a serial killer, a person capable of blending into the background and slipping away without detection, called for want of a better word, the Chameleon has finally been revealed. But his capture is only the start of such a shocking investigation that it will even test the nerve of inspector Banks, a man hardened to the knowledge of what one human being can do to another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Peter Robinson Aftermath, 29 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Aftermath (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
A very well written story but with a darker side, a psychological thriller. Not really typical of the Inspector Banks books that I have read previously. Looking forward to the television drama of this novel due out in Autumn 2010. I would definitely recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

Aftermath (The Inspector Banks Series)
Aftermath (The Inspector Banks Series) by Peter Robinson (Paperback - 3 Jan. 2003)