4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!
When teenager Charlie and his little brother Sam borrow a neighbour's car without her knowledge, the result is a fatal crash and a near death experience for Charlie. Unfortunately his brother wasn't so lucky.
Unable to move forward after Sam's untimely death, Charlie takes a job as caretaker of the cemetary where Sam is buried. He's caught up in the past...
Published on 28 Jun 2004 by Ms. X. Waite

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, but lacked depth
If you can suspend all cynicism, and take this book for what it is, it's a nice feel-good, slightly one-dimensional, quick read. I enjoyed it, but found it lacked depth and was a bit 'syrupy': good if you don't want to really concentrate or think about anything. If you enjoy a hopeful and uplifting story, are interesting in life's big questions of life and death (told in...
Published on 12 Aug 2005 by leitheoir2000

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 28 Jun 2004
Ms. X. Waite (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud (Paperback)
Tess, training for a solo sailing trip around the globe is strong, independant and has always been unable to find true love.
When they meet they feel an over-powering connection. This is a mesmerising story of an unusual romance set against the backdrop of a small New England community.
Issues of grief, remembrance and the afterlife are all explored in this story. Charlie is still tied to his grief and promises made to his brother, Tess is in need of her father's guidance but he's already passed on and is beyond where she can reach him. There's plenty of action too as Tess sails straight into the eye of a storm.
Ben Sherwood's writing is poignant and the tale is told with a magical simplicity. It's a story in which miracles are suddenly possible and the prose tantalises you. I haven't been this swept away by a love story since reading the Bridges of Madison County.
It is a wonderful and moving read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Death and LIfe of Charlie St. Cloud, 27 Mar 2006
I read this book six months ago and I still cannot stop thinking about it, in fact I read it in one night. This is a light book but is original, gripping and very moving although I cried alot it left me feeling good about life, on a more personal note I lost my brother a few years ago and maybe this book was wishful thinking on my part. A surprising twist at the end as well, anyway i loved this book and will definately read more books from this auther.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life and Death, 28 May 2007
D. Byrne - See all my reviews
This novel is one of the most unusual love stories. It really opens your eyes (and fills them with tears too) to the presence of love in our lives not just the feelings of love for a partner but for our siblings also, whether they are present or absent. It's told in a really tender manner, and although it's a short read (like some of the other critics on this page, I read the entire book in one day whilst on holidays), I remembered this book the most!

4.0 out of 5 stars a great and meaningful story, yes!, 27 Aug 2005
Mrs. Rc Yates "rosemaravilha" (Tidworth, HANTS. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There is no need to use more sophisticated words to describe the beauty of this fantastic novel. It speaks for itself. I might be too romantic, but I dont care what cynicals might say about it. What a package! This beautifully written story has a pinch of everything: it is comforting,sweet,romantic,
thrilling,entertaining,spiritual, and even a bit sexy, at one stage!
Yes, it can be predictable, but that does not make it banal or boring, does it? I think its author might have smartly opted for some "predictability" in order to make us utterly part of this magical plot,feeling a little responsible for nearly wishing for what happens. I am sure B.Sherwood didnt want us to put his book down, and he succeeds, no matter how busy we are!
If you,like me,could see what was coming in the many different parts of the story, then it has worked as a great and meaningful novel,despite its simplicity! Why? Because it has brought all of us(readers from different backgrounds and beliefs) back to our basics: the secret desire to love and be loved, and most of all, the wish to believe(even if reluctantly) that there might be something beyond our *water,salt,flesh and blood" frail bodies.
Above all, this story is about love and life.You will catch yourself thinking about where your priorities should really be during your time spent over here, despite what you believe in. Not to be missed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a Lovely Read!!!!!!, 30 Dec 2008
Well i picked this up at a library sale. I thought it would be a nice read in between some of the heavier stuff ive been reading and when i started it i did not want to put it down. Im not going to go on about all the points that occured as there are 20 something more reviews before me that you can get those snippets from so here goes. Basically its just a lovely tale of two brothers (and their dog) that die in a car accident where the eldest is brought back to life after promising his younger brother in the after world he will stay with him. Im not gonna tell you any more but i will say just pick this book up and read the first ten pages and i gaurantee you will not want to put it down. It made me laugh out loud, my eyes all watery and on occasion question what ive done in my life (a little deep i know but what the hell). This book now takes pride of place in my fave books cabinet with others. Well i hope i have been of some help without giving too much away - Just order it, grab a tub of Ben & Jerrys, snuggle up and be engrossed in a great story........You deserve it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I've Read for ages!!!, 20 Jan 2006
By A Customer
What a joy to find a book that's simple to read. The concepts in it will challenge your beliefs about life after death if you are a non-believer and make you question whether there's a soul mate out there for everyone. This book will make you cry and will make you believe in true love. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A LITTLE BOOK OF MIRACLES, 2 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This book falls into the catergory of "Romance" - a genre I have always avoided being a bloke who likes Stephen King horrors and James Patterson thrillers, but for some odd reason i was drawn to this book and decided to give it a chance. It sat on my bedside cabinet for about three weeks when I reluctantly picked it up and began to read. Five hours later I closed the book with the biggest smile on my face.
This is an excellent story about love and miracles in a small fishing town and Ben Sherwood has written it with such style and charm and has created characters that you genuinely care about. I know for a fact I will read this book again in the near future after all my family and friends have read it.
Buy it now, male or female, body builder or beautician, buy it and enjoy it and let yourself be drawn into the world of Charlie St Cloud and his journey to enjoy life again, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 10 Aug 2005
Cherry (Croydon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book has become one of my favourite books of all time- I was gripped from the very first page and couldn't put it down. It's a story about a man whose brother, because of him, died in a car crash. For this reason he cannot let go and is unable to move on. Then he meets a lady called Tess and he has to then choose between death and life...to hold on to what he has now or to let go of everything that is familiar to him.
Sure this book is sometimes predictable but it's still a good and meaningful read!! I would recommend this book to those who like books with a bit of romance and adventure, and who believe in miracles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming night-time reading, 19 July 2005
David (Cardiff United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For anyone who has ever lost a close relative, this story really gives you a feel-good factor. The mysteries of life and beyond are gently introduced in a natural and feesable way. I'm not a geat reader at all, but found it to be a book that I wish was twice the length because it made me feel warm and loved by family who are now in a differnt world... but still watching me......

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritually uplifting, 3 Dec 2009
One of my favourite books amongst those I have read this year. I wish I had got hold of a copy years ago. Death is a fact of life, as inevitable as night follows day, death follows birth. Whatever ones religious beliefs death is a subject I am sure we all prefer not to think about too often. This novel will certainly make you think about death and what may be waiting for us.
As with `The Lovely Bones,' `The Five People You Meet In Heaven' and `The Angels of 9/11' I found this a spiritually uplifting story about the afterlife. It certainly gives you plenty to think about, the following is a quote from the novel that I particularly like.
`We all shine on. You just have to release your hearts, alert your senses and pay attention.
A leaf, a star, a song, a laugh. Notice the little things, because somebody is reaching out to you.'

Thirteen years before the story takes place Charlie and Sam St Cloud are involved in a serious car crash, that results in the death of the younger brother Sam and a near death experience for Charlie himself. Unable to cope with his grief and the broken promises made to his brother, ever since that fatal crash Charlie has worked in the cemetery where his brother is buried so as to remain near him.
Charlie's strange and sad lifestyle is turned upside down when in the graveyard he meets Tess Carroll a young woman he finds he has strong feelings for.
This is a story of love that will remain with you for ever and I will certainly be looking forward to the film becoming available here in Italy.

The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud
The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood (Paperback - 7 May 2004)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available