5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant is an account of the Old Testament story of Jacob and Esau. The story is written from the female perspective and it gives an insight into the life of women during biblical times as not seen before; daily life, life inside the Red Tent at the new moon and the upbringing of children. Running alongside this is a wonderful story which keeps the...
Published on 27 Sep 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish this hadn't disappointed me....
I really enjoyed the first half of this book, i found it lyrical and beautiful in the way it conjured up a very real sense of the past. It is a fascinating subject and I couldnt stop myself reading it.
Unfortunately, at the dramatic turning point in the novel I found myself questioning the author, as the narrative became unconvinciing with little attempt at giving...
Published on 12 Jan 2009 by Susannah

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 21 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Oct 2014
amazing story

5.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling at its best, 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Red Tent (Kindle Edition)
The Red Tent is a wonderful book. The writing is impeccable and beautiful. If you are at all interested in the history of women then this is a must read. It tells a story sad and wonderful to listen to. The prose is magical and transports you back in time. Dinah's story will live in me for a long time to come. One of those rare books that become a favourite after only the first few chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Red Tent (Kindle Edition)
A good look into the lives of a culture, people and customs I know little of. This book was recommended to me and I would pass it onto my female friends to share the knowledge of their bond between women.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Red Tent (Kindle Edition)
This is the story of the family of Jacob from the Bible but written from the viewpoint of women. History is usually written by the people who made the laws or won the battles and the history of the women was not written down. This made a welcome change and was a very interesting read

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
Really good read, not something I would have normally picked up but a book club fav! After I'd finished gave it to my mum.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pure chick-lit trash, 6 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
If you enjoy reading the "shocking true life tales" in women's magazines, or the "tragic true life" genre of novels, then you'll probably enjoy this. Basically, if you get your jollies by perving in on the mutinae and mundane details of other people's private lives, this should be your cup of tea. If you want to know the intimate details of the menstrual cycles, birthing, eating habits, arguments and sex of a group of fictional characters then read this. If you are interested in the bible and hoping for an intelligent, educated and enlightening read, bear in mind that this is a novel, and the writer makes full use of "artistic license," in other words this book won't educate you, it's a load of made up stuff, most of which isn't actually in the bible. The second half of the book, when we move on to Dinah's story, is even more boring than the first half. This book is NOT for people hoping to find out more about biblical life and broaden their horizons, it is pure chick-lit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 July 2014
interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
Fantastic

1.0 out of 5 stars Holy c**p, 9 Oct 2005
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
Does nobody else dislike this book? Diamant is just too plain desperate to write a book for and about women and to put them in the context of a glorious bilblical history. She has obviously reserached her market well (middle-american new age feminist bible-bashers - if you think this is a niche market, you really should travel to the States). I am positive it was received rapturously by american audiences but would have hoped a more thoughtful audience in the UK would have treated it with the distain it deserves. You're being had, all of you! I have no idea what life was like for women in old testament times, but I'm very doubtful it was anything like this. I imagine reality was much closer to the one wife Diamant glances over, a battered, shrivelled and toothless wretch who had lost all pride and ends up committing suicide. Beyond the painfully self-conscious creation of strong, beautiful, witty, long-suffering heroines upon whom we should all base our new, universalist definition of faith, there really is no style, no narrative and no spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite, 4 Sep 2003
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
What a beautiful enchanting story. So tragic for so many of the characters but the underlying passions and beauty of each of the women is inspiring. It is an amazing insight into a world of which we know so little and which religious scriptures largely ignore. I was very sad when I saw what was written in the Bible about Dinah and her mothers after this as I so hoped to find out more about this time when women were so nurturing and close. Such bonds and the skills and love of each women made me feel that they were all magic in their own special way.This book really moved me and is now my new favourite. I have encouraged all my female friends to read it and it makes a lovely present.

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 21 | Next ›

The Red Tent
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (Paperback - 8 Mar 2002)