5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment with a sinister twist
Okay, I admit it, I am interested in the lives of the rich and famous. I don't buy Hello! and OK! every week, but I'm not averse to flicking through such magazines at the doctor's, dentist and hairdresser's.
Published on 23 Sept. 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Indulge yourself
Published on 27 Jun. 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment with a sinister twist, 23 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
So if you are anything like me you will love this book. Not only does it give an insider's view in to celebrity's lives, but also in to what it's like to be that insider. This insight is at times laugh out loud funny. How many books can do that?
Ruby Lake, the lead character is a writer for Wow! magazine and is surely based on the author Claudia Pattison who was a staff writer at OK! for 4 years. Celebrity weddings, footballer's "at homes" and fabulous foreign holidays are all covered in the tale.
But this isn't even the best thing about this book, there's a twist in the tale: Ruby is being stalked. The stalker is a clever and sophisticated fellow who's tacticts, quite frankly made me shiver. I found myself caring about Ruby's well being, a sure sign of a good book.
Ruby also gets to fall in love and we move with her as her life goes from enjoying all the trappings that a glamorous London lifestyle brings, but not being 100% happy, to... well I won't spoil it. Buy it, read it, enjoy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Indulge yourself, 27 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
Okay, let's be honest. If you've picked up this book you already know something of what you're getting, and with a title like this one you know it's not going to be a great work of literature. This is fairly run-of-the-mill chick-lit: bit of romantic disaster, bit of London name dropping, cool and likeable main character, final romantic success. The stalking plot is flimsy at best. And yet... there's something about this book that makes it irrepressably likeable.
It's LIKE reading Hello! or OK! You know it's rubbish, you know it's all about the glamour and the fluff, but you can't stop reading it, and when you're done you feel a bit sick but also very satisfied, as if you'd just eaten a box of chocolate eclairs.
Go on... you can always start your literary diet tomorrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
I loved it, I first read Claudia Pattison's Fame Game and loved it and took me a quite sometime to find this book. WOW is amazing, it's intriguing it's the kind of book you just can't put down until you get to the end and when it happens you're just so sad it's over.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll be up all night!, 6 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
My best friend gave me this book for my birthday and I stayed up half the night to finish reading it. The heroine is really smart and funny and the plot is stuffed with celebrity gossip, great one-liners and a few creepy moments along the way. I absolutely loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the cover put you off - worth the read, 8 April 2002
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I won't explain how I came to possess Wow!, but the cover led me to expect over-the-top satire. True, the book is rich with satire, but it's clever and witty - not played strictly for gags. Pattison does an admirable job keeping the various elements of the story in balance - satire, gentle humor, romance, and just a little suspense & fear (the stalker). It only took me a day or so to get through this, but I'm glad I didn't let the cover hype set me off of the book. For those of you who need a comparison, it's not the crazed satire of Morag Prunty's "Dancing with Mules", but it's not the "humor-of-the-tragedy-of-life" that you get with Marian Keyes. I'm looking forward to future efforts from Pattison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical, light, fast, read, 23 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
I enjoyed this a lot. If you ever read Hello or OK! I expect you would too. The inside gossip is outrageous. It made a long flight speed past.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 11 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
If you ever read anything by Isabell Wolf, such as "the trials of Tiffany Trott" or really like Sophie Kinsella' "Shopaholic abroad" and "Diary of a Shopaholic", then you will equally like WOW. I certainly did....
However, do not expect a cleverly written book! Original it isn't neither.
The plot is very similar to "The trials of Tiffany Trott" just remplace the radio station with the celeb mag(there is a also a stalker), but this book is really worth reading for the interesting depiction of diverses celebrities visited thourought the book: The account of the DIVA (Mariah Carey?) alone is worth it.
In the same style, you should also get "Simply Divine" by Wendy Holden

4.0 out of 5 stars Harmless fun, 15 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
I was a bit sceptical regarding this book, set around a 'glamourous' celebrity glossy magazine. I don't really like that type of mag, but was very impressed with the tongue-in-cheek look at it. Our heroine is a lot tougher, and a lot less perfect than the average chick-lit heroine. The novel is about her life, career and a celebrity stalker, which makes an unusual slant to the stories. Of course, there is a bit of romance in it, with a man too good to be true, but it is not the be all and end all of the story which is fast paced and witty. Whilst not an intellectually challenging read, it is well written and good fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like reading celebrity gossip mags then this is 4 you, 17 May 2003
T. Kelly (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
This book delves into the world of a fictional celebrity gossip magazine, much like HELLO and OK magazines. The main character of the book is a female journalist who works for this magazine. It is a funny book and much of it is based on the author's experiences of working for these magazines in real life. It was fascinating to read about the demands that some celebs make. The character is interesting as is the main idea behind the book. I would recommend if you like light, easy to read, funny books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and very funny, 30 Aug. 2003
Amy (Harrow, Middlesex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wow! (Paperback)
This book does exactly what it says on the cover and delivers a lively, witty, fast-paced read which kept me guessing to the end. The author has a very dry sense of humour and uses her experiences as a former writer at OK! magazine to great effect. I read it in a weekend and have just bought it for my best friend as a birthday present!

Wow!
Wow! by Claudia Pattison (Paperback - 7 Sept. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01