on 26 November 2010
As with an earlier reviewer, I couldn't get on with this book the first time I took it up. In fact, I detested what I percieved as a deliberately obscure use of language. But when I took it up again, I managed to relax and to accept the layers of ambiguity on display from the first paragraph, and so entered the author's world. Perhaps Naipual is as egotistical a man as portrayed in the biography of him written by his one-time friend, Paul Theroux. But, as a writer, Naipaul does manage to communicate - unusually successfully - that he is alive, albeit in an uncaring universe. And that as Naipaul (the book's protagonist as well as its author) studies that tiny bit of the universe that is accessible to him (to begin with its just the view from a rented cottage in Wiltshire) the universe becomes a little less foreign and unfriendly a place.
on 15 May 2013
The novel is fiction-autobiography hybrid by Nobel Laureate, V. S. Naipaul. It principally portrays the transformation of the (im)migrant identity upon arriving into an alien land and culture. A well written book which I highly recommend.
on 20 February 2015
A wonderful extended meditation of a book that prompted me to work out where it was mainly set and find a lovely walk as well. Thank you VS Naipul. This is for people who enjoy beautiful and thoughtful writing and are happy with a slowish pace.
on 30 August 2001
I was surprised that this magnificient book had not been reviewed.It is a long time since I read this novel, but I still remember the plaintive intelligence of the prose and the haunting landscapes.I recognise some of the stranger's emotions, and there were sections that were almost too painful to read.
on 12 September 2001
I was unable to engage with the tempo of this book at first, but on my second attempt I was completely absorbed.The plaintive prose creates haunting scenes, that are almost too much to endure.I think this is one of VS Naipaul's best books.
on 1 November 2014
Sedt book. very good
on 14 January 2016
As described.
on 4 July 2011
I bought this book because so many people I know rave about Naipaul. I just could not get into the book and gave up early on. I am not sure why and will, at some point, have another go. I have a suspicion that I didn't like the central character and when that happens it is rare that I enjoy a book.