Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 September 2003
I have found this book very easy to use. For each exercise it tells you what it is going to do for you, and the instructions of how to do each exercise are written clearly with photographs to show you correct positioning. The exercises are split into three separate stages. You are encouraged to master each exercise before moving onto a new one and there are workouts given for different levels of fitness at the back of the book.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone with back problems.
on 15 September 2006
This book is very easy to read and follow. It not only shows you exercises that I found really helped my back pain, but it also has information on how the body works and why you might be getting back pain. I was using a DVD but found it was going a bit fast for me to follow, with this book you can go at your own pace and you can see all the different exercises that might help your back and do the ones you feel most comfortable with.

If you have back problems I would highly recommend Pilates. I had back pain for 2 years and found Pilates gentle and easy to do and really helped. Pilates are stretching exercises that help to strengthen and relax your back.

Highly recommended book.
on 11 August 2011
After suffering for years with lower back pain after any heavy lifting or exercising a few weeks using the exercises described in this book has practically cured me of all back pain! The exercises not only strengthen and increase the flexibility of the muscles responsible for stabilizing your back but also teach you the correct way to engage your back to avoid future injury, probably the best book I have ever bought!
on 3 March 2009
Good informative book. Good content. Good value for money. Easy reading and instructions.
on 4 February 2011
This is a particular favourite book for advice on the back. It gives good and clear information, good illustrations and excellent exercise programs. Would possibly be best for somebody who already has a knowledge of Pilates rather than somebody totally new.
on 8 October 2015
A very source material to share with people who have back pain and preventing back pain by stretching the body as a form of exercise in order to establish coordination and balance as one gets older. Stretching exercises improve good posture. One should do 2-3 times a day, set for 20 minutes for stretching exercises. Count 20 seconds for each stretching exercise.
on 6 August 2011
This is a really good buy and great value for money as it gives an explanation as to why pain arises, it also makes you realise how slouching on the sofa isn't the best thing for you.. And the 3 difficulty levels mean that it is suitable for beginners or the more advanced
Some of the exercises do take time to master so you shouldn't try to rush going through this book. It has such a wide range of things to do! (I'm still only in section one) And after a while you do notice a diference!! I would recommend to buy a yoga mat with this too as theres alot of floor work. I am a beginner in pilates and I find it so easy to understand!! I'd recommend this to anyone with back pain, just 15 minutes a day can really help in the long term!
on 24 January 2012
Having been lucky enough to go to Lynne's evening Pilates classes in Sevenoaks, Kent some fifteen years ago, I was eager to return to the discipline. I had originally been referred by a local physiotherapist practice which spoke highly of her. Some of the other people on the course had been completely liberated from back pain by Lynne and it was very helpful to me at the time before I came to live in France. The profusion of Pilates teachers and methods which have appeared in recent years made me wary of using other teachers.

Fifteen years since I last saw her I was not disappointed in this book, which I bought together with her two videos (Weekly Workout/Perfect Body. I have some serious back issues to deal with both in the cervical and spinal areas, exacerbated by an auto-immune disease which magnifies the problems, and I have been needing to get back to careful balance. Both the book and videos are extremely well presented and easy to follow if you are prepared to work step by step. She constantly returns to core balance and control. To be honest this is the key for me because I have my own exercise disciplines developed over the years with the help of medical professionals, and I have simply blended Lynne's teaching into my existing sports training disciplines.

For most people with back pain, some modest discipline and this package should make a difference for a very low price. Lynne is the teacher you want and this is an excellent Pilates introduction and manual of exercise.
on 10 March 2016
I have this book since 2007 when I began suffering from severe lower back pain on my left side. If you suffer from back pain, are unfit and maybe over 40 and going downwards and would like to improve your health this is definitely the book to start with. A lot of the other books on pilates are too advanced for someone in the condition above. Each exercise is explained in detail and takes quite a while to learn but you will learn it properly as there are no gaps in the explanations and the photos illustrate the exercises well. The book is divided into 3 levels, beginner, intermediate and advanced so you ideally should not progress onwards until you have mastered the first level and so on. A lot of the exercises look deceptively simple but they are not. It's a excellent grounding for anyone beginning pilates but particularly for those like me who were unfit and on the wrong side of 40 - I managed not to injure myself with this book unlike other books I got on pilates. Thank you Lynne Robinson and the other highly qualified pilates instructors who contributed to this book
This is a very good back care book but you may need to do the Pilates for Back-care course first and use the book as an aid memoir if you have never studied Pilates before.