on 1 March 2001
BRANDING YOURSELF has got to be THE image "change management" manual for professional individuals, wanting to optimise their potential. As a Business Image consultant in SA I have found the holistic approach that Ms Spillane has adopted in order to revamp your "presence" both practical and well balanced.
For business' in South Africa who are grappling with the interpretation & implementation of Business casual - this book offers a logical and practical process to arriving at the most suitable solution. Furthermore the principles shared in the book can be easily adapted from London and New York to Johannesburg and Cape town.
I think that this business manual gives new meaning to the old adage - "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"
A crucial read for anyone serious about succeeding in life
Mary Spillane has been the UK's leading image consultant for many years. But her books and work have always gone much futher than advising on appearance and personal grooming.
Branding Yourself is all about presenting yourself to get the results in business and everywhere else which you really want and I found it hugely helpful.
Its lay out is user-friendly. Lots of white space, big margins and clear type. Her flip style is seductive, and its packed with jokes which make her sometimes tough messages more palatable (and memorable)
Try: 'Any old jacket and trousers do not make a power suit, Pseudo suit, yes; power suit, no.' or
'If you brush you teeth unconscious of any methodology, it's time to invest in an electric toothbrush..... Bad breath makes for bad deals.'
Her advice ranges from the dangers of being misconstrued by kissing on greeting in a business situation to how to handle yourself in an interview situation to get the result you want.
It's well indexed, there's a helpful reading list and lots of practical examples.
Try it - it may prove invaluable.
on 19 September 2000
I met Mary 10 years ago when 'in between' jobs and found her medicine on my image tough to swallow but invaluable. Have used her in my company and recommended to other CEOs. Her latest book is particularly useful to British men who are so reluctant to ask for and accept feedback. Read the tips on Presentations and Voice projection if you want to be more effective in meetings. A fast study and very useful.
on 24 October 2000
Having read Mary Spillane's first two books, when I was faced with how to tell a colleague gently that I didn't feel her image was quite right for our company, I suggested that we should go to a Colour Me Beautiful seminar together. There Mary answered my prayers: somewhat to my amazement, and without any prompting from me, she immediately picked out my colleague from the audience and told her kindly but firmly what she could do to improve her appearance. The few minutes with Mary set my colleague off on a journey of self-discovery and renewal: chucking out her old clothes and going on a solo diving holiday. Her husband was not amused!
Mary's thought-provoking and very readable new book, 'Branding Yourself' goes a step further by encouraging people not just to 'look the part' but to see themselves as a 'brand'. I have 'recreated' myself a few times (although I still have two eyes, a nose and one mouth) and it can be both an exhilarating and at the same time daunting experience.
This book offers help and encouragement to people wishing to make a 'new start' with plenty of useful advice on how to survive (and hopefully prosper) in a competitive job market.
on 2 October 2000
After Mary's conference sessions there is always a line of attendees waiting for her one on one advice.
From, "What should I wear with this tie?" to "How should I deal with women in the workplace?". Successful business people in need of advice on how to act, to dress, to speak. These are real issues. The stuff you can't discuss with anyone else.
In answer to that need, this book gives you all the help you will need to become a "World Class Personal Brand".
You want to look your best? Get your own way? Impress the crowds? Land the dream job?
Buy the book and follow the advice in it.
on 1 May 2003
I have also attended one of Mary Spillane's workshops, which I found more useful than this book. The book aggregates common self-help advice, but there is not much new insight. Except the chapters on what you should have in your wardrobe, which is Spillane's real strength.
on 10 February 2001
I really enjoyed Mary's book, especially as I had attended one of her excellent seminars on the same theme. She has some well-researched insights into the importance of verbal and non-verbal communications, and some good 'how-to' guides which are great personal therapy. It's an enjoyable, easy read and a book to be recommended to the student of brands and branding in the widest sense.
on 22 September 2000
It's not my style to feel so strongly about a book that I would actually take the time to send in a review, but I felt compelled. As Sr. Director of Bedding & Bath for RALPH LAUREN HOME in Mahattan, I found Ms. Spillane's book truly visionary. "Branding Yourself" put the rules of the game in black and white--it was as if Mary Spillane has been on my shoulder for every difficult business situation I've encountered and she's handed me a "how-to" manual to ensure success. I found her call-out's completely on target...it's forced me no only to analyze how I'm viewed by others, but it has helped me realize how critical their perception is to my personal success. This book has become required reading for my staff--and it's helped me build one of the best, most professional teams in the division. So please let me extend my personal thanks to Ms. Spillane, and respectfully advise any individual with career aspirations to use this as a bible to get ahead.
on 29 June 2014
Fod for thought and some good ideas
on 10 September 2001
I did some years ago come across Mary's "Presenting Yourself: A successful image guide for Men". Thought this book was excellent and there was no way any book could replace it - I was wrong.
This book is fantastic and one of a kind. No where can men and women get this kind of information without committing to buying books with stupid titles!
Mary not only offers clear, concise and informative information but she also explains why the things she is suggesting is effective and why the alternatives are not!
Mary obviously has been in the industry for many years and has helped thousands! I came by this book through an image consultant who was excellent!!
Its not vain to consider how you look nowadays - it is the complete opposite. It is vain not to consider how you look and present yourself to the world!
Well done Mary on an excellent book!