This is the second of Noelle Harrison's novels that I have read. I really enjoyed Beatrice and was looking forward to more of the same. I was not disappointed, this is another great story from a really great author.

Told in a similar way as her first novel, in the different voices of her lead female characters, this works really well, although sometimes I did have to stop and think about who was narrating. The three women are Greta, Christina and Angeline - three very different characters but all very closely linked.

Christina was abandoned by her mother Greta as a child - Angeline (Greta's best friend) stepped in and brought Christina up as her own child. Although loved throughout her childhood, Christina never quite got over the loss of her mother and is determined to find out the true story. Her marriage is broken and she runs away with her youngest child to track down Greta. It is during this journey that Christina finds out the truth about her mother and Angelina, and also a little more about herself.

A great read, maybe not quite as good as Beatrice, but nevertheless a real human drama, plotted with suspense and intrigue.
on 14 October 2013
A beautifully written fascinating story! Heart breaking yet hopeful, a great read! Noelle Harrison has a great talent for story telling and spins her tale expertly, moving from one character to another. At times her writing is beautifully sensual almost poetic. I loved this story and wept for real at its end.
on 6 January 2008
The synopsis above summarizes the book clearly enough. I would not add anything to it as the reading would be spoiled.

I shall therefore start by saying that I am surprised that there are yet no reviews about this book, which was initially published in 2005. I guess it just did not bear any remarkable impact on the readers or the market, which is a bit of a shame since it is not, in my opinion, a badly written book.

The author shifts from character to character in a gentle, often moving, way. Sometimes actions and feelings are described in first person, other times not, adding to the suspense of a few of the circumstances surrounding this particular Irish family, whose ties with the past and family secrets lay a difficult path ahead.

We are taken from Ireland across the Ocean in a myriad of tough questions and ensuing situations which all comtemplate the loss of filial and conjugal love and of innocence. Doubts never dissipate until the very end of the book.

All in all, I was not completely "blown away" by this book, but I found it to be a pleasant read despite the often sad subjects.