5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 13 April 2010
Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Palace of Illusions (Paperback)
The idea behind this book is amazing - a female perspective on the events of the Mahabharata. Somehow, seeing the story through the eyes of Draupadi, or Panchali as she is often called, gives the story a really human touch. It also gives you a totally different view on things.

I especially love the way Krishna is portrayed in the book. What is clever is the way that that Panchali talks about the rumours she has heard about him being a god, and his strange exploits, and how she is not sure because she cannot believe that he could be a god.

Overall, this book is definitely worth a read. If you know the story of the Mahabharata, then you will enjoy the interesting new perspective on things. And if you do not know the story, then this will be a great introduction for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, insightful & creative writing, 24 April 2010
A. Gupta (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Palace of Illusions (Paperback)
Having accidently come across this book I was truly amazed that this book did not get more publicity. It is so well conceptualised and written that it almost qualifies to be a classic. The book humanises the characters of Mahabharata and succeeds in bringing them to life. Reading it I found myself transported to the Mahabharata era and was saddened when the book ended. Thank you for the treat Chitra Divakaruni.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 10 Feb 2014
Ms. A. Patel (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Palace of Illusions (Paperback)
Great book , really good insight to the Mahabharata for a 1st time reader. I read it a while back and it was really well written and how the whole Mahabharata is seen through the eyes of draupadi

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Divakaruni novel ever, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Palace of Illusions (Paperback)
I cried when I finished reading this book as I didn't want it to end.
It is superbly written with rich descriptions that tantalise the senses and make you yearn of times long past.
Fascinating read - I wish there were more books and authors like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 18 Jun 2013
The book was recommended by a cousin during a recent visit to India.

This was a definite page turner. Knowing the Mahabharat story from early childhood it was fascinating to see the events through

Draupadi's eyes.

I found it difficult to put the book down.

I'd love to read some more books by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written book on the Mahabharat, 21 Dec 2012
P. Kulkarni "Lelalive" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Palace of Illusions (Paperback)
A females perspective on the Mahabharat, it shows the sensitivity of the characters and what it must have been like to have 5 husbands. My favourtite is the last chapter of the book. It has been beautifully written and very touching. Enjoyed every page of the book and still think about alot of the excerps from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, great concept, written with richness, 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Palace of Illusions (Paperback)
One of my favourite epic stories is the Mahabharata. But more importantly, I always felt that Draupadi's view of the events had been neglected and that the story was always told from the men's point of view.

Not anymore though: this book is beautifully written, the descriptive narration is a delight. It takes your imagination away and you visualize the events through Draupadi's eyes. The language is full of colour and richness and you see the India of the golden age, or at least how I imagine it to have been!

I loved the way it humanises her, the way it shows human failings even amongst the best of us. It was a trip through epic times but told with such richness. I grew up with this story, and yet when i read this book it was an enchantment, a journey through discovery of human nature entwined with the divine.

The book had everything and it never ceases to amaze me how human nature stays the same through the passage of time.

Thank you for such a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 26 April 2011
V. Dodd "Vicky Lee" (Warrington , Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Palace of Illusions (Paperback)
I was utterly drawn in to the world described in the pages of this unassuming novel.
I love books about India but this is a modern take on a very ancient story written from a female perspective.

I cannot rate it highly enough. At first thought, as i bought it on a recommendation it would appear to be quite fantastical and this did not appeal to me as i like very dark urban fiction if i am reading that sort of thing. However it is not as fairytale like as the write ups make it out to be. It is the tale of one woman and how her life is shaped by her not taking heed of 3 warnings given to her early on in her life as she longs to be a woman and a wife.

This will remain on my bookshelf and I will re read it - i wanted to know what happened but was saddened that I had finished it !! So i ordered more from the same author.

Excellent book in my opinion if you like Indian culture and history

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story retold, 23 Sep 2010
Even though it is the great Indian story retold, could not help reading bleary eyed, well into the night! Unpudownable! Just proves that it is the perspective that defines the story!

As for the delivery, at 0.35 p odd and less than 3 including delivery for a hardback which is as new as new can be (described as used on the site), accompanied by a very fast delivery (ordered it on Friday evening, and the parcel was waiting at my desk on Monday morning), could not have asked for better!

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping!, 6 Oct 2008
The story of the Mahabharat through the eyes of Draupadi.
It shows how noble men also had very human weakness.

Once i started reading it I couldnt put it down.
A lovely take on an already magical classic.

ARRAY(0xb46d6e04)

The Palace of Illusions
The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Divakaruni (Paperback - 4 Sep 2009)
9.99