5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent romantic comedy
Published on 30 April 2009 by Dylan Saunders

3.0 out of 5 stars 50 ways to find a lover
It does sound like a bit of a mad storyline - a woman trying out 50 different ways of finding her one love, but the book does try well to make it believable and exploring a few different ways too. I was expecting all 50 to be covered, but not so, far short actually. The book did take a few twists and turns along the way, but whatever happened seemed to do so in the...
Published on 2 July 2009 by E. Dale

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent romantic comedy, 30 April 2009
This review is from: 50 Ways to Find a Lover (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book and urge you to read it. The heroine, Sarah Sargeant, is someone you feel you'd love to be friends with: she's smart, incredibly funny, down to earth and refreshingly real. I related to her very much, which I can't remember thinking about a character in this area of fiction for such a long time. It succeeds because the dialogue is sharp, it's tightly plotted and intelligently observed - and the characters are extremely likeable. Sarah's parents were wonderful.

Plus there's an intelligence to this that you don't tend to find in popular fiction; I enjoyed every minute I spent in Sarah's company. Funnily enough I've seen boys reading this on the tube: are they looking for tips?

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and readable chick-lit, 14 Oct 2009
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sarah Sargeant is nearly thirty and still doesn't have much luck with either dating or acting! However, rather than giving up hope, and with the encouragement of friends and family, Sarah embarks on a mission to find herself a good man.

This book is based on Lucy-Anne Holmes' own blog which is actually just an account of her own life with a number of exaggerations and additions to make it more interesting.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. It was fun, witty and a good, entertaining read throughout. Although I can understand the comparisons to Bridget Jones, I felt that the character of Sarah was much more relatable and someone that I would like as a friend. Some times I find chick-lit a little too depressing and true to life so I personally loved the fact that this story followed a tried and tested formula. Some may find it predictable but I just can't resist a happy ending!

Overall this is an enjoyable read and something light that will entertain you and keep you engrossed. If you like a fun, romantic read about the modern dating game then I would recommend this book to you. 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will make you laugh, cry and cringe, 1 Aug 2009
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't read a lot of chick lit, but the title of this book caught my attention and I thought I'd give it a go, in the hope of it being light and fun. And it was.

The story is told by Sarah Sargeant, who is nearly thirty and doesn't have much luck with men or acting jobs. Her family, best friend Julia and flatmate Si convince her to set out on a quest to find a good man, and to write a blog about it as she goes along. Will Sarah's quests lead her to a fulfilling relationship or will she become addicted to the lifestyle of hunting for men and blogging about it?

The book is written in an easy to read style and I was able to jump straight into it. It's told in the present tense which normally annoys me, but with this novel I barely noticed it. I must admit it took me a while to warm up to Sarah as a character, because she is quite self obsessed, whiny and moany, but after a while I grew to enjoy reading about her. The characters are all quite realistic and well fleshed out, and there's quite a few different men who Sarah could potentially end up with, which adds some intrigue to the story (though unfortunately I read a couple of reviews on here first which gave the ending away).

The best thing about this book is how funny it is. I was often laughing out loud or grinning as I read it. It's also easy to become absorbed in the story and I found the book tricky to put down. The ending brought me to tears as well which is always a good sign that a book's had an effect on you.

However there are some annoying parts to the book. Firstly it's incredibly crude, with a lot of very bad language and some really disgusting metaphors and very explicit `encounters'. And secondly, Sarah makes a really stupid decision not to allow a man to explain something to her, which just makes no sense. If you really like a guy, wouldn't you let him explain away a potential misunderstanding rather than cutting him off and stopping all content? It is really irritating and seems like lazy plotting to me.

Despite these issues though, I enjoyed the book and couldn't bring myself to give it less than four stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a book for the girls, 5 July 2009
A Smile and a Wave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The biggest problem with this book is that it is marketed squarely at women in both the description and the pictures on the covers. As a man I found reading this book in public a bit unsettling, but I did it anyway and it turned out to be a very good read. It's funny, intelligent, has a great charm to it, plus it has that elusive draw to make you want to come back time and again to read some more. It's a very good read for anyone who likes witty observational humour, and I think that the publishers have missed the beat in promoting it so much as chick-lit. It might not be a heavyweight book but it's great for a relaxing read in the garden or on holiday - even for men!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent funny chick read., 10 Aug 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was so excited to read this, being a fan of the bridget jones books by Helen Fielding and having read those over and over, i was keen to read something new in the blog style and i was absolutely delighted with it! it is funny, has situations you can absolutely relate to and the main character you feel like she's actually real. It's refreshing and has several laugh out loud moments, i'm waiting for a film to be made out of this one! Has all the qualites that Bridget Jones does and more, can't wait to read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 2 Nov 2010
This review is from: 50 Ways to Find a Lover (Paperback)
This is one of the funniest books I have ever read. Just about every page made me laugh out loud, which is very rare!! Sarah Sargeant is one of most likeable characters I have come across in a book and the story is literally a laugh-a-minute adventure! I have just found my new favourite author :)

4.0 out of 5 stars drove all your friends crazy with useless analysing of details, 23 Sep 2014
This review is from: 50 Ways to Find a Lover (Paperback)
This is the kind of book to read on a Sunday when you spent the whole Saturday pondering about your Friday night date, drove all your friends crazy with useless analysing of details, watched “He is just not into you” (again), stared at your mobile phone, turned off the mobile phone (because you are independent and are not waiting for him to call) just to end up switching it on again after two minutes. I am of course speaking hypothetically. This review contains no spoilers:

What the official synopsis reads: I feel like a failure. It’s now been 351 days since I had sex. That’s a carnal drought. If Bob Geldof knew about it he’d hold a concert. Sarah Sargeant has been single for three years and nine months. She has just spent five months plucking up the courage to ask out a balding man with a paunch who works in her local pub. The gentleman in question informed her that he would rather stay in and watch the “Narnia” movie on DVD. Her pride has not just been bruised, it’s been disembowelled. And she vows it’s the last time she will ever reach out to a member of the opposite sex. But her family and friends have other ideas. They enter her into a reality TV show against her will, persuade her to go speed dating and even more radically, they encourage her to start a blog. Suddenly Sarah Sargeant is on a mission. A mission to explore 50 ways to find a lover.

What I read: Girl, single, blogs about love life. Swears like a sailor.

From the outset this book is a typical British chick-lit. The plot is Kinsella/Potter-ish which makes the story-line a bit predictable but OMG what is within this frame is absolutely hilarious! This is like Absolutely Fabulous meets Chelsea Handler pulling jokes after a bottle of vodka: over-the-top, politically incorrect, rough, “she-just-didn’t-say-that-did-she” moments. I loved it!

This book was refreshing. Thank you Ms Holmes for this book I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time.

(Originally published with http://bookedaway.wordpress.com)

5.0 out of 5 stars Woman on a Mission - Finding a Lover, 3 Jun 2009
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A funny, laughable read, and one that is worth taking time out to read, as you will be laughing out loud at some of the antics in it, and feeling quite emotional at some.

50 Ways to Find a Lover..... well I didn't realize there were that many... it could lighten up your love life no end! (Not that I need mine lightening up I must add to anyone out there wondering, and that was without reading the book).

One of the best bits has to be when he says 'I love it when girls enjoy food. I hate being with women who only ever eat salad. I could cook for you again next week..... Now this has to be a book that most women would love, (yes, there are men out there that appreciate it when we eat). No honestly it is in the book, said by a man.... I was not dreaming at the time girls. Does it work when we try to eat that extra cream cake though? I guess not, well it is a book.

No seriously this is a great read, one that ticks all my boxes in the want to read, haven't really got the time, but if I do, will it be all that worth it? Yes, yes and yes, it really is worth it. Plus it is a thick copy, 423 pages of pure book indulgence. Rude bits, yes it does contain those.

I have never read the blog before, no you don't need to, you get the whole picture just from reading the book. I have read that other people had read the blog beforehand and knew what to expect, some even talking to work mates about it as it was such a great entertainment factor. But no you can actually picture Sarah (woman on a mission) going on the various dates and almost hold your breath for her in some of the situations, then you fall about laughing at some of the outcomes. You know how some might end, haven't we all been in some of those places before, alright we might care not to admit to them, but we know, I think that is what makes it all the funnier though. I dare you to read a few chapters without smiling!

Whilst I was reading my copy, (laughing to myself, my husband wondered what I was reading and had a peek) he had to admit it was funny) no I will not tell which bit.

Can anyone find it in their hearts to tell someone that they 'love them?', you will have to read this to find out.

Pure chickflick but with emotion.

No there are no pictures in this, this is not a sex manual, but a great read of a girl on a mission, and when girls go on a mission nothing gets in their way, well not usually anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, amusing romance, 5 Jun 2009
LEP "LEP" (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the style of Bridget Jones Diary, this is a witty and very amusing book. Out of work actress Sarah Sargeant lost a part and was rejected by a man it has taken her 5 months to pluck up courage to ask out, all in the same day. Then her father, thinking that he was getting her an acting part, enters her for a reality dating show; unfortunately she is rejected for that as well. So, what does Sarah do? Well she does what she always does, takes to her bed in her slobby bedroom.

Then her parents and friends deciding that she's moped enough and push her into taking part in speed dating and setting up an Internet Blog. Unfortunately, Sarah has a big problem. She suffers from 'foot in the mouth' syndrome when she's nervous and dating new men makes her so nervous that she comes out with the most inappropriate language. However, it seems that Sarah has at last met the ideal man for her and so is set for happy ever after. But can things really go that smoothly? Or is Sarah actually overlooking something right under her nose?

This definately a laugh out loud book, although I think that the language could have been tempered a bit. Poor Sarah is really something of a disaster, and I'm sure that we've all been there, done that at some time in our lives. Her parents are lovely and so is poor long suffering Simon, her flat-mate. Likeable and funny ChickLit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for fans of Bridget Jones, 24 Jun 2009
Karura (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sarah Sergeant had planned to give up on love- after all, when you're 29 years old and have just been told by the balding, paunchy guy at the pub that he'd rather stay in and watch the Narnia movie than go out with you, it's hard not to lose hope. Nonetheless, her family have other ideas, and when egged on by their general insanity, Sarah finds herself embarking on a new mission- to try out fifty different ways of finding a lover.

Based on the author's own blog, 50 Ways to Find a Lover blurs fantasy and reality to create something not unlike Bridget Jones's Diary- the tale of a slightly hopeless `singleton' who spends so long chasing the handsome bad boy that she fails to notice the supportive good guy waiting patiently in the background. Yes, Bridget Jones did it first and did it better, but this book still manages to be both entertaining and easy to read.

In the down side, the book is rather predictable and the fact that it is basically a slight embellishment of the author's life is a little unsettling, but overall this is a light piece of `chick lit'- and if you need just such a thing to laze with on the beach this summer, then you won't go far wrong if you pack this into your suitcase.

50 Ways to Find a Lover
50 Ways to Find a Lover by Lucy-Anne Holmes (Paperback - 3 April 2009)