on 23 April 2010
How Not to Murder Your Husband, is definitely Stephanie Calman's funniest and most brilliant book and an absolute must. My children thought I had gone slightly mad, hearing the explosive laughter coming from my room at night, as I voraciously turned the pages. But this isn't only a satirical "how not to" book, it is also a carefully researched, poignantly executed, analysis of marriage, in the raw. Calman turns her lovingly caustic gaze on everything: sex, arguing, foreplay, childrearing, kitchen habits, garden sheds, therapy, nagging, shopping, bendy time syndrome and of course map reading - most things we deal with very well on our own, but when we share them with a husband they become impossibly difficult.

The book takes you on her journey to try and understand why marriage is so difficult and how, against all odds, some couples stay together. In the end we all know what it is she's saying - being able to laugh about it all, is the only way. One of my favourite chapters in the book is when she is asking her eleven year old son what he thinks about marriage. His thoughtful blunt answers are hysterically funny. When she asks him whether he thinks marriage is easy he replies:

`No. Never easy. Ever.'
This is a little too emphatic. I feel a sting of guilt.
`Why? Is it because we argue so much?'
`Partly.'

Stephanie is horrified by this and tries another approach:

`Do your friends' parents have better marriages?"
`No.'
That's a relief.

And that's it - by opening the door and allowing us in to see the scenes from her marriage and others we fall about laughing cathartically. Her utter honesty helps us to feel that relief as well.

If this book really is written to show how her husband is not as "perfect" as everyone keeps telling her he is, I closed the book at the end and still thought he probably was. In the words of her sister "Staple him to the bed. He is definitely The One." A brilliant book!!!
on 14 May 2010
As usual with Stephanie Calman, parts of this book made me laugh out loud. We can all relate to the fact that it's the tiny irritations that test a marriage - (yes, we have separate tubes of toothpaste, much easier). And I can relate to having a husband who compulsively tidies everything away - but I wish mine could do DIY. Stephanie Calman says many things we all think but don't dare say out loud (and writes them better too). Anyone being driven mad by their partner should have a read - and a laugh.
on 14 May 2010
Huge congrats to Ms Calman for once again getting it just right! It's so reassuring to realise that you are not alone in discovering the minor irritants you intially found endearing become grounds for digging up your patio!

Witty and insightful as always. What a pleasure to read.
on 16 June 2010
Absolutely ADORED this book!!!!!!!!!!!!! Much of it strikes far too near to home!!!!!! It's very rare for me to laugh aloud at a book, whilst in public, but I'm sure the people on the same bus as I was,must have thought I was mad,at my frequent smiles and the times I laughed out loud!!!!!!!!

Would have given this book 6 stars if I could!!!!!!!! PLEASE read it if you can!!!!!!
on 4 March 2012
I have just read this book and I thought it was very funny. I could relate to so much in the book and it gave me comfort to realise that I am not the only woman who doesn't always like her husband and that it is actually normal to feel irritated with your seemingly perfect husband!!
on 22 December 2012
Witty, observent and true to life. The author invites us into her marriage and I can only appreciate her honesty and the efforts her and her other half make. It is very funny, but also thought provoking. A worthy follow up to How not to murder your mother.
on 19 January 2013
I enjoyed it. I could relate and I laughed out loud a few times. Worth a read to pass the time. It also actually helped me to see that my husband is alright really x
on 4 March 2015
Good
on 12 May 2010
Another very badly written book by the self-styled "talented" Ms Calman. I think she's well past her sell-by date. Was she ever there in the first place? Just because the cartoonist Mel Calman was your dad does not mean to say that you are automatically funny which, obviously, she so deperately she wants to be. What she ends up being is a very average writer (A Level standard?) who tries to encapsulate "insights" into what she believes is "real life". Unfortunately, Ms Calman's "hilarious" experiences are upper-middle-class, mundane ones - lacking so much in humour. The trivia Ms Calman writes about would be palatable if there was any good English style, thought or wit in it. Or, indeed, anything that hasn't been said in a column by someone else that she's read before. If she would only get over the patronising attitude and write something good, which she appears regrettably incapable of. Needless to say, I wasted over an hour of my life reading this book but I would advise others to get on with something more constructive.