Format: Paperback|Change

Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Very much an Australian novel and although a bit of surfing knowledge is useful, it is not essential. This novel is deep in characterisation and extreme in some of the sexual activity which deals with asphyxiation but this does link to the surfing element and a close to death theme.

I wanted to enjoy this as a reading experience, it made me want to go back to Australia on holiday again as it does a great job of selling that fantastic country and it's scenery. But I also found it hard to engage with the characters and their problems, and the technical elements of surfing let me little cold. So bits were interesting but when put together into one reading experience, it could have been so much better..
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2008
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to say, I started out really enjoying this book...the opening scenes are incredibly evocative, the sea is beautifully described in all its' moods, the pangs of awkward adolescence skilfully imparted. But somewhere towards the middle of the book, when the plot is supposed to deepen, it flounders. The characters become unbelievable, their motives are confusing and the few harsh scenes seem to be thrown in to juice things up, rather than make an actual point. As the book drew towards it's conclusion, it failed to draw me in and I got plain bored - basically, I just wanted someone to feed the damn dog! The book closed with that lyrical emotiveness that Tom Winton is capable of but the middle was like chewing an overcooked clam. Would I read him again - well, I'm waving not drowning...
on 27 March 2016
Its ok. Easy read.
on 20 January 2011
Don't think that this is just a book about surfers. It is so much more than that. For me this was a very thought-provoking book. Do childhood experiences really change who you are?
on 24 October 2014
Very pleased.
VINE VOICEon 26 November 2008
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I cannot get on with this book - I have tried and failed to finish it. The reason is quite simple: the author doesn't use speech marks (quotation marks)to separate the spoken word from the descriptive text. I find it impossible to get into the flow of the book where people are speaking - I have to keep stopping to work out what has just been said. When I hit a patch full of very foul language as well I gave up (this bit was easy to interpret - the bad language was clearly intended to be speech). A pity - there are some lovely sections of text with excellent observation and explanation.
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love Tim Winton, he is one of the best Australian writers writing today and I have read all of his books. This one is a little unusual given the subject matter but still recognizably Winton. I grew up in similar surroundings so I loved and could relate to the descriptions, sense of place and surfing culture. Probably the people who gave it one star could not. I don't want to say too much (though others have already) and give away the plot but I would say that most of the events in the book do ring true but I think it's a cultural thing and perhaps doesn't travel well outside of the Antipodes. I would recommend it if you already find the product description interesting, and if you don't like it, then you haven't wasted much time as it is a short book, hence the lack of stars. :)

If you have never read this author before, I would recommend starting with The Riders
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Whilst I this book is undeniably well written and readable it wasn't really to my taste. I found the story of Pikelet & Loonie and their surfing guru (and in the later stages of the book his wife Eva) Sando a little tiresome. Maybe it would have helped if I was into surfing but I found the parts of the book, of which there are many, about surfing 'Old Smoky' and 'Nautilus' uninteresting - why is surfing always written about as being almost a mystical experience? The rest of the book, which is basically about rites of passage is fine, with perhaps a little too much teenage angst.

Not my cup of tea then but I would still be tempted to try another of Tim Wintons previous books.
on 12 November 2008
I was glued to this book for about the first half, couldnt put it down, thought it would be a kind of coming of age book and loved the descriptions of western australia and the surf. However, i felt it really unravelled in the second half, as if the author didnt quite know how to end it. The description of his relationship with the older woman didnt have substance and i really didnt see the point of it. The second part of his life was rushed through and none of the ideas were well developed. The most I can say is that i loved the first half of the book and was so disappointed with where it ended up.
on 22 June 2015