5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and sexy
Abandon by Meg cabot
Pierce drowned in her family pool but when most people stay dead and go to their final resting place pierce did not. She meets John and tall, dark and dangerous it's his job to help the dead to their final resting place. While most girls might have jumped at the chance to be with him forever Pierce just wanted to live so she ran...

Now...
Published on 31 Aug 2011 by annmarie

3.0 out of 5 stars Great 2nd half
Published 23 months ago by carly

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and sexy, 31 Aug 2011
Abandon by Meg cabot

Now a year on Pierce life has changed so much after her brush with death and while she tries to pretend she is ok and happy her mind is never far from john and he always seems close by. Sometimes love comes with a price and sometimes love is dangerous.

This book had me from the first page between Pierce and John you can't help but love the book. The plot was well constructed and played out well. While the book was a dark love story there was much more then that going on in the book.
While there were a lot of emotions going on between Pierce and John through the book and you got a lot of enjoyable play backs on events passed in Pierces life. You start to try and work out what's going to happen next but you're always left happy and surprised by what the author writes next.

Lots of weird things seem to happen in the main characters life and that leave you excited about what's going to happen at the end.

To sum this book up I would say it's dark and sexy and leaves you breathless for more.
If death meant walking into John's arms i don't think i could say no.
5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish there was more, 2 Nov 2011
Rebekka (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abandon (Kindle Edition)
Pierce died. One and a half years ago. And since then nothing in here life is like it used to be.
Pierce now owns a mysterious necklace with a huge diamond which changes his colour around people. She got the jewellery from the mysterious John which she met during the time her heart wasn't beating and now she he is following her. Even moving away from Connecticut to a remote island in front of Florida doesn't help. John is still around. And he want something from her. Pierce tries to stay away from him but is not very successful. And though John saves her several times Pierce isn't sure she should trust him, but does she have a choice?

Abandon is another young adult book which reinvents the greek myth of Persephone and Hades. In an inventive way. First we get to know Pierce. A seventeen year old east-coast upper-class girl which doesn't fit. Anywhere. Since she died and was reanimated she lost all her old friends and is distancing herself from the world. She seems to be lost and waiting for something.
I liked the beginning of the book very much. You got drawn into the story. I wanted to know what is going on. Why did Pierce die? What happened to her? Who is coming after her? But after a while I also got annoyed by all the hints which where never completely explained. Especially so in dialogues with her new schoolmates and her cousin Alex, which just floats in and out without any obvious purpose. I felt lost. I sincerely hope that there will be more (and especially facts) about him in the next book.
On the other hand I loved the interaction between Pierce and John. And I was eagerly anticipating more informations about John as we don't really get to know him.
What I didn't like at all was the end. I know this book is the start of a trilogy. But still! What a cliffhanger. First I thought I accidentally skipped a page until I realised that the last sentence I read was indeed the last sentence of the book. For me there were to many unsolved questions. This book felt unfinished. Abandon is a nicely written paranormal romance with an adorable heroine and a powerful but sensitive hero. Not the best I ever read but quite entertaining and I will definitely watch out for book no. 2, which is supposed to be published in 2012.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great 2nd half, 15 May 2012
carly (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abandon (Paperback)
I was so excited to be finally starting Abandon, it has a storyline that I found very exciting from the off. But I have to say the first half of the book was hard to get into and very confusing at times, it was a miracle I even got to the second half. But thank goodness I did, the second half of the book was so fantastic , it really redeemed the book for me. The characters are in-depth, interesting and I think Meg Cabot has built a great new world here. There are so many ways this series could go and I think it's very exciting.

Last year Pierce Oliveria flat-lined after drowning in her swimming pool. While in the underworld waiting to find out her fate, she sees a dark and dangerous boy that she recognises. She runs to him and he takes her away, she learns what exactly is going on. She escapes John and his underworld hell and finds herself alive and well in a hospital bed.

So Pierce Oliveria knows exactly what it's like to die. She keeps seeing John everywhere she feels scared or threatened and it's never good, when he shows up terrible things always happen. When Pierce and her mother move back to her mum's home-town of Isla Huesos things start to unravel themselves, with lots of shocking revelations.

But Pierce finds herself drawn to the mysterious John and can't seem to keep away from him. But death wants her back too, back to his dreaded underworld prison. What will Pierce do when things get too dangerous? Will she run right into his arms?

Well the ending is shockingly spectacular, I was not expecting what happened in the lead up to the ending either. I am now on the edge of my seat waiting on the next instalment the series 'Underworld'. Meg Cabot has written an exciting, interesting start to a new series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Abandon, 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Abandon (Paperback)
If you read this book my guess is that your first impression of Pierce is that she's a bit crazy. Well, she's not. You see she died, but only for a moment. During that moment between life and death, she paid the Underworld a visit. From that she gained a sexy stalker named John protecting her from anything that may harm her.

But what did I think of it?

I am a HUGE Meg Cabot fan and I was expecting a lot out of this book. Unfortunately, I found the first half of the book was a bit slow at first, I felt as if I was forcing myself to read it whereas most books I read draw me in right from the beginning. After the first half of the book the addiction to reading Abandon started to grow, I started to take it everywhere I went! I found the characters very different, but a good different! They weren't your usual hopeless girl meets attractive boy, and that's why Pierce and John have been really interesting to read about.
From how the book finished, I must say I am looking forward to the next book to coming out in 2012! Keep up the good work Meg!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness it's a trilogy, 14 Sep 2011
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Abandon (Paperback)
Although I was aware that this book is based upon the Greek myth of Hades and Persephone, it only know the basics of that story so it didn't affect my judgement or preconception of this story at all. The use of the Persephone and Dante's Inferno quotes added a sense of depth to the narrative, reinforcing the main plot while adding a sense of realism.

Powerfully descriptive writing style brings the words to techni-colour life within my imagination.

Written in first person narrative from Pierce's point of view, at 17 she had a near death experience at 15 which resulted in the breakdown of her parents marriage and relocating back to the island her mother grew up on. Pierce is one of those genuinely nice people, you can see this in the selfless way she puts other people first and rescues injured animals. Her privileged background and self absorbed parents make this fact quite surprising, I would have expected her to be a pampered princess. I do think that it is her 'inner' beauty that really draws John to her even though the way she looks on the outside obviously helps, from her description I had images of Snow White flying around in my imagination.

The waiting in what can only be thought of as Purgatory by the River Styx is wonderfully portrayed in the narrative; the notion of the different lines and boats leading to different places was ingenious. The difference in the length of the lines really brought home how little people worry about the consequence of their actions. the desperation of the people in the longer line drifted from the pages.

The way in which Pierce escapes the Underworld had me giggling like a maniac into my book. However, there are repercussions. Following her visit to the Underworld Pierce does retreat into herself a bit and this is where you can see the way in which her childhood could have really shaped her personality. The irony of the history of the island they move to made a wonderful addition to the plot.

The chemistry between Pierce and John crackles from between the pages. Wow, I really admire Pierce's self control and adored the portrayal of John torn between his emotions and his 'job'. He is very protective of Pierce and for good reason [ ; D ]

Bringing me nicely onto John, *swoon*, well you pretty much can't get more bad boy than John. From his black clothes to his imposing height and threatening demeanour, right down to the way he first charges into the book on his horse - I am so there [ : D ] Pierce shows so much restraint especially when confronted with that dreamy white bed [ ; D ] which provides such a visual contrast to John himself. i am really, really, rally desperate to know his background story and how he ended up having a 'job' in the Underworld. Obviously the theme song would have to be Don't Pay the Ferryman with the images of the River Styx. I have the feeling that this is just so much more to John and I NEED to know it.

All of the characters are very well written, providing extremes of personalities and quirkiness. Not only am I following the plot for the development of John and Pierce, I am genuinely interested in the other characters development the high school cliques, the family dynamics and so much more - I NEED ANSWERS!!!!!

The only aspect of the story that I had a problem with is the portrayal of The Fury's. these have always been tormentors but their abilities in this story really took them to another level and it took me a while to get used to picturing them as such.

That's all I can say is thank goodness this is a trilogy as I really want more and I need those questions answered. *Goes to look to see the publication date of the next book - eeepppp it only says 2012 - how will I cope*.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abandon, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: Abandon (Paperback)
Meg Cabot is my all time favourite YA author. She's the only author that I have a dedicated shelf to on my bookcases and every one of her books I've read, adored and re-read over and over. She has an incredible talent to be able to write about literally any subject and make it fascinating and wonderful. I was beyond thrilled when I received a proof copy of 'Abandon' for review. I treat Meg Cabot books like a box of chocolates, slowly savouring each one at a time and enjoying having new books of hers to read when I need a Cabot kick!

I have to say right from the start of this review that I fell in love with 'Abandon'. The plot combines elements of ancient Greek mythology and features a new and original take on the story of Hades, Persephone and the Underworld. This is a subject which I knew I was going to be crazy about from the beginning. I am absolutely fascinated by stories about the Gods and I loved the way in which Meg Cabot explored the roots of this but gave it her own unique spin.

The story revolves around fifteen year old Pierce Oliviera who dies after a tragic accident and ends up in the Underworld where she meets the mysterious John Hayden. Brought back to life and coping with her near death experience, she finds that danger stalks her around every corner. Although determined to protect her friends and family from the evil that she can see lurking around them, she's unable to prevent the people she loves from being hurt and while John would seek to keep her safe, even he may not be able to protect her forever.

I absolutely adored Pierce and John. I mean for a dead guy John is a total hottie! Although their romance really took most of the book to kick into gear, I enjoyed the anticipation of them getting together, just as much as the moment when Pierce finally wakes up to her true feelings for John. Meg Cabot's characters are always incredibly well written and immensely likable and this was a distinct feature of Abandon. I loved the way that Pierce was so determined to look after the people she cares about and always seemed to put herself second, whereas John is present whenever she's in danger and lies continually looking out for her even when she doesn't know he's there. I'm so excited about seeing the romance between the two of them blossom further!

'Abandon' had a hugely entertaining storyline which had me completely gripped from start to finish. I can promise you that the Underworld has never been so appealing! There were dark undertones to the book, as well as some moments of light relief but I loved every single second of the characters' journeys as they traverse life and death situations.

The second book in the trilogy, 'Underworld' is due to be published next year but I haven't figured out yet how I'm going to be able to stand the wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique!, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Abandon (Paperback)
Well, firstly I should admit that I have never read a book by Meg Cabot before, so this is all new and fresh for me... so I should also admit that I seriously like this book. Just by reading the blurb of this book it had me engaged straight away, and if I'm honest the book cover also intrigued me a lot by the design and use of colour.

Yes, there may be the same boy/girl relationship involved, but Meg Cabot has created the main character totally different to the usual heroines you get to know in other books. This is just by the personality that Cabot has given the main character, Pierce, who I believe is strong, confident, brave and slightly self-centered, but all these traits show throughout the book.

The other main character, John, I will not say anything about, because in the book it is a mystery, so I will leave it as that.

The plot to this story is engaging in its own way by how it is about life and death and the underworld. However the way that Meg Cabot has wrote this story is unique because I haven't read another book like it. This is because throughout the book we read about different events that have happened in Pierces' life, but we're only given a few details. Meg Cabot leaves you like this in suspense for a while before revealing what actually happened, and to do this she takes us back to the past.

This book is a must read, however in my opinion the story is unfolded slowly, but in a way in which the reader stays engaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Abandon, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Abandon (Hardcover)
The first half of Abandon is hinting at things that happened before but they are quickly revealed and it doesn't get annoying. The second half is more typical Meg Cabot with the story heading forwards and ending at a kind of cliffhanger ready for the sequel: Underworld. It's very atmospheric and I couldn't put it down and I liked that the main characters got together quickly as its very different than what Meg Cabot usually does.
I really liked this book (and the cover is even better in real life!) and can't wait to read more about what happens to the characters and more about the underworld.
P.S. I ordered this from America so I have actually read it even though its not out here yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars A deceptively good premise, an infuriating narrator and mediocre writing, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Abandon (Hardcover)
WARNING: This review contains mentions of wanting to throttle, strangle and maim book characters, and includes potentially traumatizing pictures.

Just look at this summary. Go ahead, read it.
It's amazing, isn't it? And the cover. It's gorgeous. The premise is mysterious, intriguing and lovely. I was SO excited for this book, you don't even know. I think my entire twitter feed knew the instant it was out.

This is why I'm going to be a little hard on it. Because my expectations were high, and there weren't met. At. All.

About the narrator:

I wanted to violently shake her/strangle her for half the book (I'm usually a non-violent person). UGH. What a vapid, idiotic, insensitive, shallow, boring person. She's everything I hate in a character. No backbone, changing loyalties, and just this carelessness that I HATE.

"Sure, I'd been kicked out of school. I couldn't seem to go more than an hour without craving a caffeinated beverage. And a guy I'd met while I was dead had popped by unexpectedly and caused me to be slapped with a seven-figure civil suit.
But I was feeling positive about the future."

... Excuse me???
LOL my daddy has to pay more than a million dollars to a guy but I don't care!

throttlesnarrator.jpg

About the writing:

It draaaaaaaagged. She spent ages telling us about how she had been in the Underworld, and some bad "incident" had happened after she came back, but that the incident was different from the accident, and blablablablabla. My god, just get ON with it! The book is just so full of plot holes (like when Pierce loses her necklace, but somehow still has it around her neck?) and stilted, stretched out mock-obstacles.
Also, just like in The Goddess Test (which is also a retelling of the Persephone/Hades myth), the narrator keeps talking about "that". Apparently, spelling out the word sex is a capital offense.

Oh, and by the way, Pierce hates Greek mythology, because it's "complicated and weird and had nothing to do with reality." How the hell do you want me to empathize with her? Seriously? SHE DOESN'T KNOW WHO HOMER IS.

About the romance:

It was ridiculous. And the love interest? His name is John. I don't even know what to say to that. He's a one-dimensional, pseudo swoon worthy "dark" guy that we didn't get to know at all. He behaved all aloof-like and jerky and moody and suddenly bam! His lips came came down over mine etc etc. Of course, the rest of the world ~vanished instantly. Eye roll.

One thing I learned from this book: tassels?
BAD. EVIL. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.

Needless to say, I would recommend this book to no one. I know it looks so good and you want to like it sooo bad, but... Yeah. No.

4.0 out of 5 stars Abandon, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Abandon (Paperback)
First of all, can I just say how much I screamed when I came back from being on holiday and saw the proof and finished copies I got of ABANDON? Because there was some major screaming going on. I mean, Meg. Freakin'. Cabot. NEED I SAY MORE? I will read anything the woman writes and the idea of a new series makes me ~*hyperventilate~*.

BUT. It's been a week and I'm still not entirely sure on my feelings for this book. It was weird, because the thought of not enjoying one of Meg's books was just totally bizarre to me. And it's not like I didn't enjoy the book, 'cause I totally did, but I.. think maybe the expectations in my head were just a little to hard to high because of how much I've loved Cabot's other novels.

ABANDON is the first book in Meg Cabot's new YA trilogy which is a modern retelling of the Greek myth of Hades and Persephone. I love Greek mythology, which was just an added bonus to the whole 'written by Cabot' thing, and I loved the mythology in the book, but I felt that there wasn't enough of it. I would have liked to spend more time in the Underworld; it would've given the book just that little bit of extra energy to fire things up and make it stand out a bit more.

The opening was awesome. It was gripping and exciting and just generally awesome. Why? Pierce just told us that she DIED, and then came back alive again. How would you NOT want to read on? I'm not going to explain how and what happens after because you should read that for yourself. You won't be disappointed, promise.

Some of the book was narrated in the past, and I thought that it not only made the book more enthralling, but we also got the find out a little more about what happened to Pierce just after she died. It did jump around a bit though and it was a bit confusing when keeping track of what was going on.

I liked Pierce. She's different from all of Cabot's other protagonists, refreshing with a realistic voice and the way she saw things was unique and I found that fascinating. There were some moments where I thought she was being dense but it didn't happen very often and if I'm honest it just made me love her a little bit more because she had ACTUAL flaws like a REAL person. The relationship between Pierce and John had to be my favourite part of the book, by a mile. It was so original and I admit that I did snigger a lot throughout all of the conversations between them. What? I couldn't help it! ESPECIALLY the bit about how Pierce escaped from John and the Underworld. Major LOLs guys. There was no insta-love, and to be honest, it's not even very clear if there's any love on Pierce's part anyway until the last half of the book. I wasn't a huge fan of John (who is Hades, yes?) though. I wasn't sure if Cabot wanted me to stare gazingly into his eyes or run away from him! I felt like we didn't find anything out about him, and that really annoyed me. I'm guessing that this was done deliberately, and that more will be revealed about this him in the next book! Another character I really wanted to learn more about was Pierce's uncle Chris. Why was he in jail??

I have to say that although the story wasn't *everything* I wanted it to be, Cabot's writing kept me hooked throughout the whole book. The way she wrote the book make it extremely difficult to put it down. The little passages from Dante's Inferno at the beginning of each chapter were a rich, captivating addition. And something I nearly forgot to mention: the island! ABANDON takes place on Isla Huesos which is the most perfect setting EVER. It's a made-up place inspired by Key West which I've never heard of before.The spooky cemetery, the tropical weather and COFFIN NIGHT. Oh how the mysteriousness of it all compels me.

ABANDON will take most people a while to get going, I'll admit, but it's definitely worth it. Overall, I thought it was a darkly complex, addicting novel with an intense atmosphere that I'm dying to get back in.

ARRAY(0xaa481ce4)

Abandon
Abandon by Meg Cabot (Paperback - 26 April 2012)
5.59