4.0 out of 5 stars More Cults & Conspiritors
Published on 14 Sep 2011 by Green Man Music

1.0 out of 5 stars The same old Stories
Published 5 months ago by Catherine

4.0 out of 5 stars More Cults & Conspiritors, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness (Paperback)
In this installment of investigative journalism, Jon Ronson peers behind the scenes of British TV's "Deal or No Deal" where he discovers obsessive participants holed up in their hotel believing that the show's "Banker" is watching and listening to their every move. He investigates the phenomenon of the "Indigo Children" where some parents would prefer to believe that their child's issues are due to them being highly-evolved and divine "Chosen Ones" rather than suffering from anything more mundane. Ronson visits the Alaskan town of North Pole, a tourist resort where it's Christmas 365 days of the year, to discover a group of teenagers so sick of it having been Christmas every day all their lives, they were caught plotting a Columbine-style shooting. Ronson also looks at the case of the man driven to suicide through relentless pressure from credit card companies.

This is the second of Ronson's engaging and well-written books that combine a selection of his Guardian newspaper columns about his life with his own family, and the more interesting section where he's investigating the stories as mentioned above.

1.0 out of 5 stars The same old Stories, 2 Feb 2014
I love the way Jon Ronson writes and always amusing. I used to really look forward to buying his books but now as most of his books repeat stories already told in past books. I am really hesitant as I feel as if I am buying half or a quarter of a book. Bit lazy really Jon and your books have ceased to be value for money. I don't want to buy them purely to save myself the disappointment of reading old material..again

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 15 Jan 2013
What you always expect from Jon Ronson,, intelligently written very funny, makes me realise how 'normal' I am? I recommend it to all Jon Ronson fans or just fans of the odd & eccentric, my favourite kind of people!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 12 Jan 2013
Loved this and the interesting topics that Jon Robeson covers. Chapters that had m engrossed were the Deal or no Deal and the Indigo children. Loved the reoccurring theme with the neighbour as well. Had me laughing out loud more than once

4.0 out of 5 stars Jon Ronson is quite amusing, 8 Dec 2012
Although some of these (originally newspaper) articles did not merit being repeated in a book, this was fluffy and entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooooo funny, 3 Dec 2012
Miss S. J. Platt (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This book would cheer any one up it hilarious & so well written fantastic read I have also bought two more of his books. psychopath test is the best book I have read

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd compilation of disparate content, 5 Feb 2011
James Cridland (London, UK) - See all my reviews
It's okay.

It's a collection of stuff from The Guardian, basically - like other of Ronson's books, though this one is less connected.

Ronson's rather embarrassing personal revelations make up half the book (made more embarrassing by the fact that I identified with almost all his 'odd' behaviour). The second half of the book consists of a few longer-form articles, culled from the pages of Guardian magazines.

One piece, about credit card hucksters, makes Ronson appear like a consumer affairs jounalist. Another, following two "we can change your life" ex-hypnotists, is more of his classic, slightly cynical, Louis Theroux-a-like writing.

It's good stuff, partly, though parts are less good. I'm not, however, sure that it all holds together as one book; and, while reading it, I did have a nagging feeling that I could have read all this stuff for free on the web anyway...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and easy to read., 30 July 2010
Jon Ronson should write all books - I'd have read everything by now! A brilliant mix of everyday encounters and deeper journalistic pieces. See also Out of the Ordinary: True Tales of Everyday Craziness for more of the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Recycled, Fans Beware, 13 Jun 2014
A LOT of material you'll find in his other books. Disappointed as less than half was new stuff, which is becoming a habit with him. It's all great of course, but I feel less and less able to look forward to new releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Author, 21 April 2014
So enjoy all his books, love his style of writing and unusual choice of subject matter. Have now read all of his books and getting quite impatient for his next

What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness
What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness by Jon Ronson (Paperback - 2 Nov 2007)
6.29