on 11 September 2013
This was the first Morse I'd read, though I have watched and enjoyed all the drama series on TV over the years. It was actually quite different from the TV Morse which I was pleased about. The story was good and the way the investigation unfolded clever and interesting, plus there was a strong element of humour running through the story. I shall definitely be returning for another investigation.
on 27 May 2013
Having watched the new TV series Endeavour, I decided to re-read the Morse books. Whilst John Thaw and now Shaun Evans have brought the character off the page, I still love the books. Well worth going back to, or picking these up if you have seen the programmes.
on 19 November 2015
It is quite difficult to review this book. I have never read Colin Dexter's books on Morse, but have seen the TV adaptations starring John Thaw and Kevin Whately,and it is very difficult to get these two personalities out of your mind when you are reading the book. You keep asking 'would Morse have said or done that', would Lewis have been so compliant with Morse's outbursts. So you need to look at the book in isolation, pretending you have no knowledge of the television productions. Under these circumstances it is quite a good read ,though 4*not 5*.I found the end not very clear, but nonetheless it was an enjoyable read, and was intriguing how the two detectives came to their conclusions. I think the confusion with the characters, as some reviewers have noted, is because they are slipped in and made formal, and talked about in a different scenario, which can be a little confusing. Overall a satisfying read.
on 16 February 2013
I enjoyed reading this book as it was like going back in time! There were no mobile phones or Internet - just old fashioned detective work. I will certainly be reading more Colin Dexter stories.
on 5 October 2014
I have just latched onto the Dexter / Morse / Lewis phenomenon and so it's like whole new world opening up in front of me. It's not "great literature" but it certainly is entertaining and clever. The prospect of reading all the 13 novels, and also watching all the "Morse" and "Lewis" videos is simply delightful. Each novel needs reading twice to appreciate the clever detail, and each video needs watching twice too. Add to all this the wonderful backdrop of the magical City of Oxford .... and I feel I am onto a very good thing! This novel is the first of Dexter's Morse novels, so this really is like a first step.
on 4 March 2016
I bought this book as I thought it was high time I read a Morse novel. I also find it interesting to read debut crime fiction that subsequently spawned a successful series. Morse came across as a bit of an old lech, which surprised me. I was also surprised to find Dexter using speaker attributes in his dialogue. I guess if i had been more engrossed in the story this would have bothered me less. I'm not particularly in a hurry to read another but will do at some point. It was interesting to see how much Oxford has changed since this was written.
on 1 July 2013
Different from the series but a gripping and exciting read thoroughly enjoyed it.. Couldn't put it down will be getting others
on 29 May 2013
Inspector Morse is completely different to the tv version of the character but a very good read - could not put the book down
on 24 May 2013
Really enjoyed it, very well written. Have read a lot of his books and always enjoy his writing will readmore
on 30 December 2012
It was so like the inspector Morse I used love and watch on TV.Very good reading kept me guessing to the end.