5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you expect from an Inspector Morse Murder Mystery
The best thing about Morse on TV is the way the viewer is kept guessing until the end, and the books are so much better than any TV programme could ever be at maintaining that suspense. A recommended read for any Morse fan.
Published 9 months ago by Miss J C Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars The Way Through the Woods. Disappointed
I don't consider this book to be one of Colin's best,therefore I can only give it a three star rating. At times I thought I was back at school and I found that I was losing the gist of the story. I still consider Colin a excellent writer and I enjoy reading Morse but this book didn't come up to my expectation.
Published 16 months ago by gary c atkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 29 Dec 2013
really enjoyed reading this book. it is the first Morse I've read and has made me hungry for more. trouble is, I now want the set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you expect from an Inspector Morse Murder Mystery, 18 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars the most twists I've read in a Morse story., 16 July 2013
An unusual story. Had no idea the twists of plot were coming. Fast-paced and fascinating. Morse's character seemed to be work in progress. An old friend in development.
A joy to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book, 24 May 2013
Another well written book. I do enjoy a mystery and this one has been particularly good. I have several books by Colin Dexter

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Morse novel, 5 May 2013
James Byrne (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a particulary good Morse novel. As usual, Dexter sprinkles the text with obscure words! The dictionary is very useful here!
The novel is quite similar to the TV episode of the same name, unlike some of the novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Dexter at his best!, 1 May 2013
An excellent Morse novel, one of the best in the Morse saga in which we learn more about the chief inspector and Lewis.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Way Through the Woods. Disappointed, 28 Mar 2013
gary c atkins (leicester.england) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Location, cryptic clues, verse et al......., 28 Jan 2013
Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Way Through the Woods (Inspector Morse) (Paperback)
I had my Morse "period" some years ago but this gem slipped my net. I had quite forgotten just how scholarly Colin Dexter is. There is a strong sense of place in this novel which for me is important, the more so when I know most of them well. Beginning in Lyme Regis, sometime home of Jane Austen and John Fowles, moving to Nether Stowey,Somerset, where Coleridge and Wordsworth spent a short sojourn, back to Oxford and for Lewis on to Uppsala. The plot is strong and complex as are most of the characters. Beneath the Oxford spires of academia lurks another type of world which is where the main characters live and work. Music is another very attractive ingredient which makes for a fulsome storyline. The pre-text at the start of each chapter adds flair and food for thought. As ever Morse is the mouth - piece for Dexter's own social conscience. If willing the reader might be almost in conversation with Morse/Dexter. Brilliant, highly recommended as are most if not all of the Morse series.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be able to put it down!, 20 Jan 2013
This is Colin Dexter at his best. Morse is on leave in Lyme Regis when verses appear in the Times about the disappearance of the "Swedish Maiden". This results in a whole host of letters from Times readers which Morse reads avidly. Morse is persuaded to return to Oxford to take charge of the year old case and what follows is a brilliant and insightful investigation and solving of the case.

Read this - you won't find any other crime fiction novel which will beat this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dexter Always Knows the Way, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Way Through the Woods (Inspector Morse) (Paperback)
I chose a four star rating because I could not put the book down! The story unfolded gradually , but the pace of the unfolding was dramatic and compelling. Dexter's ' red herrings ' are so plausible. It's like reading three or four stories in one! I did noy enjoy the TV series at all. Quite frankly, I couldn't understand them!! But the books are totally different and I shall read each with eager anticipation. I have bought all fourteen Morse Mysteries--can't wait!

The Way Through the Woods (Inspector Morse)
The Way Through the Woods (Inspector Morse) by Colin Dexter (Paperback - 16 Mar 2007)
6.29