5.0 out of 5 stars A love story and adventure in the finest tradition
Published on 29 Oct 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but too many convenient coincidences
Published on 14 Jun 2004 by gfrorie

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story and adventure in the finest tradition, 29 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This book continues the story of Taita , the eunuch , from the River God novel . It is a tale which blends the vagaries of love , war , friendship and deceit in one spellbinding tome . It follows the discovery of The Seventh Scroll , a faded , 4000 year old parchment which can lead the finder to the treasures of an Egypt long gone but never forgotten . When Duraid al Simma is murdered , his research partner and wife Royan narrowly escapes with her life . She escapes her husbands killers and returns home to her English mother . Here she meets Nicholas Quentin-Harper , an almost bankrupt Lord . The adventure is just about to begin . Together they begin the search for the lost treasure . It's a search which taxes all members of the expedition , forges new alliances and threatens to destroy all parties . They need to find a way to defeat there enemies , old and new . The Seventh Scroll rattles along with barely a pause for breath , covering a number of countries and four millenia . Truly spellbinding , utterly amazing . Wilbur Smith paints a picture with words , so vivid you could almost be accompanying the expedition . He is back to his very best , leading where others can only try and follow . Fantastic .

5.0 out of 5 stars A most definately entertaining book, 5 Oct 2001
This review is from: The Seventh Scroll : (Paperback)
Having gone through the life of Taita, the slave from the River God, I was delighted to find out that there was a sequal to the book--this one.
It was wonderful to hear all about the way Taita had built the dam and created the water tunnel which protected the entrance to the well known tomb full of riches.
What was most special was the way Wilbur wrote this story with so much detailed information that I actually felt I was there. I could hear the river, I played the game that our dear friend Taita took to a different level entirely when he designed the traps and I could see the paintings in the tombs lit by the stunning glory of all the treasures held within.
If you enjoy amaizing adventures and the most realistic facts then you will enjoy this book, but! read the River God first.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and cryptic adventure from ancient Egypt to today, 5 Jun 2000
This review is from: The Seventh Scroll : (Paperback)
This is the most amazing book I have ever read. From page one you are trapped in its world. Wilbur Smith weaves a perfect blend of mystery, adventure, intrigure, murder, romance and sex in this tale of a present day treasure hunt left for us by the clever Taita almost 4,000 years ago. It follows from a previous novel and true story - (but you don't have to of read it!) River God. This story/biography was discovered in an Egyptian tomb encased in ten alabaster jars by a team of archaeologists in 1988 and the translation given to Wilbur Smith to convert to a more modern literary style. The Pharoah from River God leaves behind a fortune in artefacts that are cleverly hidden and mischeviously written about by the ostentatious Taita. In the Seventh Scroll we join these archaeologists and a gang of collectors in the search for the pharoah's tomb and his bounty. Wilbur Smith truly is a master at mystery stories, and I am now an avid fan - fifteen more novels to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Feb 2003
Ms. J. Mills "jadeywoopwoop" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Seventh Scroll : (Paperback)
I was just 15 yaers old when I read this book for the first time and in the 4 years that heve followed, I have lost count of the number of times I have read the Seventh Scroll, and the other two books in the trilogy.
The text of this book is highly accessible, and is humourous and witty in places. It draws you in to a web of deceit, intrigue, love, all set in the background of Egypt and Ethiopia.
However good I thought this book to be, it does not compare to the excellence that is the River God.
Wilbur Smith, however, is a writer who transports the reader to another dimension, and will leave you wnating more. I couldn't read fast enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read !, 20 Mar 2005
This review is from: The Seventh Scroll : (Paperback)
The Seventh scroll was the first Wilbur Smith book I read and it left me exhausted. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough the story is fasinatining and whisks you along without pause. On the discovery of the seventh scroll the clues left by Tatia over 4000 years ago are unravelled leading eventually to the where abouts of Pharoh Mamose tomb.A frantic race to beat the bad guys in a good old "Indian Jones" style as well as a step back in time to Egypt to follow the cuning of Tatia at the time.
Just brilliant and I'd also recomend "The Sunbird" and "The River God".

5.0 out of 5 stars Demands your attention!, 27 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Seventh Scroll (Paperback)
Firstly, let me say that no Wilbur Smith book set in Egypt will ever deserve less than a 5 star rating. In spite of this, The Seventh Scroll is just a tad below River God and Warlock, but it is still a great read.
One thing to note about The Seventh Scroll is the choice of characters to lead, Dr. Royan al Simma and Sir Nicholas Quenton-Harper. In keeping with Wilbur's style from River God, these characters are introduced very early on which results in their traits being described very fully. A good thing, because it allows for the plot to continue without restrictions, and at its fast pace.
Sir Nicholas has many things in common with River God's hero, Tanus as they are both heavily reliable warriors of their time but, unlike Tanus, Sir Nicholas is not infallible. On the other hand, Royan is extremely likeable for her intelligence and mannerisms, but is still a lot unlike any of the female characters from either River God or Warlock. I was relieved to note that Wilbur had decided not to recycle his character traits, unlike many other authors. I particularly enjoyed reading about Royan!
Overall, this is a book that will entice you into reading it. In my own personal experience, I had no intention of beginning it when I first picked it up at 4am some morning- but I ended up reading 15 pages. Similarly, I read 200 pages in just under two hours a few nights ago to finish it at 7am because I just had to know what would happen!
My only complaint is that Wilbur Smith has found his niche in these Egyptian novels (Sunbird, River God, The Seventh Scroll, Warlock) but he does not seem inclined to add any more titles to the list. It is a shame. These are clearly my favourite books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Amazing Book EVER!!!!!! SIX STARS ******, 22 Aug 2003
This review is from: The Seventh Scroll (Hardcover)
This was the first Wilbur Smith book I ever read. I was going on holiday with my friends and I needed something for the plane.
I did not put it down until I had finished reading it......
From the first page you are drawn deeper and deeper into a world of murder, mystery, romance and sex that seems so real you find yourself willing the characters to triumph... I now own every Wilbur Smith book and I believe him to be a GOD. I would recommend this book to anyone and I dare you to try and put it down……

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sequel to River God, 22 Jun 2003
This review is from: The Seventh Scroll : (Paperback)
This is a gripping adventure story that is a great sequel to River God, set thousands of years previously.
As you would expect from Wilbur Smith, the story carries you along at great pace, and it almost makes you feel as though you were there yourself.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the BEST Wilbur Smith I have read, 23 July 2002
This review is from: The Seventh Scroll : (Paperback)
The first wilbur smith I read was 'Warlock', and after reading that I wanted to read the rest of the trilogy. 'The Seventh Scroll' is by far the best of the three egyptian novels Smith has wrote. From the very first page the reader is caught up in the story. There is action, romance and egyptian interest in the first few chapters. The love interests in the story, although obvious, still manage to keep the reader in suspense. Some characters are amusing, others you can only feel sympathy for, but you will fall in love with all of them. This book is brilliant and whether you are interested in Ancient Egypt or not it is a brilliant summer read.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but too many convenient coincidences, 14 Jun 2004
This review is from: The Seventh Scroll : (Paperback)
Having previously read Warlock and River God by the same author, I was eager to complete the set by reading The Seventh Scroll. The story has moved from ancient Egypt to the present day, and centres on a search for the Pharaoh's tomb from River God. The story starts off quickly, and the pace doesn't let up. However, on too many occasions I found that the events portrayed where just too incredulous, or coincidences just too convenient to be believed (how may times could the hero be washed over a waterfall and survive!). Both the previous novels had their fair share of gruesome deaths and gory details, but it didn't seem so bad when set 4,000 years ago. In a present day setting (even war torn Ethiopia) it seemed a bit over the top and for me at least broke the spell of believability that the author normally attains. These grumbles aside, for anyone who has read River God the desire to read this will be strong, and it is certainly worth the effort.

The Seventh Scroll (Egyptian Novels)
The Seventh Scroll (Egyptian Novels) by Wilbur Smith (Paperback - 6 April 2007)
5.59