on 29 June 2012
I bought the Adventure series for my children aged 7 & 10 as I just adored them when I was little. They are just as enthralling now as then and my children absolutely love them too. My son's teacher has also commented on how good his story writing skills are now, "almost like Enid Blyton"! The stories of course do follow a similar pattern but this is of no matter to my children who hang onto every secret tunnel twist, every old map deciphered and each baddie out-smarted. It's also the only thing that will get them off the iPad games to have story time with mum too, so we're all happy! Can't recommend highly enough and I'm about to buy the Mystery (Barney) series now. NB! Make sure you buy the original books NOT the 'modernised' versions which just lose the magic.
on 2 May 2000
As far as Mrs. Mannering was concerned, a peaceful holiday among the Welsh mountains couldn't possibly land the children in yet another dangerous adventure. But soon Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Jack are up to their necks in the mystery of a rumbling mountain, roaming wolves, and a mad genius who plans to rule the world.
on 16 October 2001
The fifth in the series of eight "Adventure" series. Of all her mystery & adventures series, this was by far my favourite; I preferred these to the more "famous" ones (Famous Five, Secret Seven). Simply, these ones are more exciting!
Jack, Lucy-Anne, Dinah and Philip, and the trusty parrot Kiki, stumble into adventure. I found this story the most thrilling in the series; the four are hiding out, unseen in their cave behind a waterfall. But as well as hiding them, the cave has other secrets...
Chilling and eerie in parts, this book is an complete page-turner!
Any children discovering adventure and mystery books will LOVE this (Harry Potter fans - and parents of fans - take note!)
on 12 November 2015
THE ADVENTURE SERIES

THEY ARE THE BEST FOR A FIRST READ!

Enid’s ‘Adventure’ books (Jack, Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Kiki) were the catalyst which encouraged me to start reading more than 50 years ago. Thank you, Enid. The BBC, many libraries, local authorities and alleged educational experts have been completely wrong about the worth of the Blyton works. I can remember having substantial difficulty obtaining the original books. Quite a few shops would not stock them but they were wonderful stories for teenagers! The tales are great to read for their simplicity and straightforwardness.

When one did find copies of the book they were quite expensive all those years ago but great to own. I loved the letter on the back cover from Enid in some editions and the physical appearance of the books as well which I treasured as a youngster with the way in which the books were produced then making them somehow much easier to read.

It’s a delight to read these adventure stories again in middle age although recent editing has diminished some of the memories I have of the original editions and words used then (but I am now getting old).

Never mind… these books remain one of my best friends for life: they began my own reading adventure so do read these special adventures for yourselves.
on 18 November 2015
THE ADVENTURE SERIES

THEY ARE THE BEST FOR A FIRST READ!

on 5 August 2008
Philip, Dinah, Jack, Lucy-Ann and Bill Smugs, not forgetting Kiki, the cheeky parrot, are on holiday in the Welsh mountains. Once again they find themselves in the thick of a gripping adventure - taking a donkey ride to danger in the Mountain of Adventure.
review image
on 5 May 2013
My daughter has several of the Adventure series books, so when I saw this I couldn't resist adding it to her collection - in fact I read it before she did and was transported back to my own childhood when I first read it. A great nostalgia read!
on 18 May 2016
It's such a shame that these Enid Blyton books have issues with racial and cultural stereotyping, because they're really good stories. I know they're 'of their time' etc but they make pretty uncomfortable reading in places.
on 23 January 2013
What I wanted at a good price an excellent service. I will be back! I read all these books when I was young and my grandchildren love me reading them to them as well.
on 15 February 2014
Lovely books - always an exciting read. Lures my grandaughter away from the more graphic and horrible images presented by J Wilson. Glad theyre still around.