5.0 out of 5 stars Not a let down
I thought this book was just as good as the others by meg cabot. This book has twists and turns, and an ending that leaves you satified, while still wanting more. the way meg has keep them all in character, and still made the tale modern-day is very well done indeed. this is a brilliant book and you can't consider yourself a true meg cabot fan if you don't buy it!
Published on 26 Jan 2006 by Holly

3.0 out of 5 stars King Arthur rides again
Published on 5 Feb 2006 by L O'connor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars King Arthur rides again, 5 Feb 2006
L O'connor (richmond, surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avalon High (Paperback)
Elle's parents are both professors specialising in the medieval period (though judging by Elle's remark,s they don't seem to know a lot about their subject). They are on sabbatical for a year, so Elle has to get used to a new highschool, Avalon High. She falls for handsome student Will, who seems to have a lot on his mind. Will's father wants him to go to military school, but unfortunately Will is a pacafist, much to Dad's disgust.
Elle is horrified to find out that Will's girlfriend Jennifer is cheating on him with his best friend Lance. She is also shocked to discover that eccentric teacher Mr Morton believes that Will is a reincarnation of King Arthur, doomed to die at the hands of his half-brother Marco, supposedly a reincarnation of Mordred. Moreover, Elle is disgusted to find that Mr Morton thinks that she is the reincarnation of Elaine, the Lily Maid, a character whom Elle quite rightly despises.
This is an amusing, ingeneous story which builds to an exciting climax. I don't however think it is one of Meg Cabot's best efforts. It doesn't seem to me to have the humour of the Princess Diaries, the suspence and excitement of the Cassandra books, the warmth and inspirational quality of Teen Idol, or the strong and attractive characters that make all those books so enjoyable to read. an enjoyable story nevertheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a let down, 26 Jan 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Oct 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Avalon High (Paperback)
You don't have to know and enjoy the legend of King Arthur to fully appreciate AVALON HIGH, but it probably helps. Meg Cabot has taken the legend of Arthur and the main people in his lives--Merlin, the magician and guardian of young Arthur; the Lady of the Lake, who gave Arthur his magical sword, Excalibur; Guinevere, Arthur's wife and Queen; his most esteemed knight, Sir Lancelot; Mordred, Arthur's half-brother; and the elusive Elaine of Astolat, the Lady of Shalott--and found them modern-day counterparts within the halls of Avalon High School just outside of Washington, D.C.

Ellie Harrison isn't thrilled with leaving St. Paul, Minnesota, and moving to a new state, and starting a new school, while her parents are on sabbatical. Both her mom and dad are medievalists and Professors, and her father has dragged the family closer to D.C., where he can study up-close-and-personal the sword he's researching.

And then Ellie meets Will, the most interesting and good-looking boy she's ever seen. Sure, he has a girlfriend, the very lovely Jennifer, so she resigns herself to just being his friend. But as time goes on, Ellie realizes that there are some very strange similarities between life at Avalon High and the legend of King Arthur. The events that unfold, such as one of the teachers, Mr. Morton, going a little batty, and Will's girlfriend, Jennifer, being secretly in love with his best friend, Lance, start to add up to one bizarre scenario--could Will be the reincarnation of King Arthur, and could something really bad be working its way towards the halls of Avalon High?

I truly enjoyed AVALON HIGH, but Ms. Cabot's customary humor was strangely missing from the story. Although there are a few slightly humorous spots in the book, the laugh-out-loud wit and sarcasm from her previous releases is strangely absent. Overall, though, lovers of Athurian history or books about good versus evil will thoroughly enjoy this latest release.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from the usual, but very enjoyable, 23 July 2008
This review is from: Avalon High (Paperback)
I don't see why the reviews on this are less-than-brilliant. Yes, it is different, but I feel that this is one of Meg Cabot's best books, with interesting background, and a plot that deleved into other famous stories, combined with the modern romance of High School, and the stress of teenage life.
I feel that this is just as good a book as the "Princess Diaries" and deserves to be given a chance. It can't be easy to combine myth and modern, and this has been done very well. I was hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Could put it down!, 5 May 2008
This review is from: Avalon High (Paperback)
From the first page of this book, I was hooked and unable to put it down. You are automatically interested in the character of Ellie, merely because you can relate to her. Every character in this book is interesting and exciting and Meg Cabot captures beautifully life as a teenager. I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a well written entertaining book, with a exciting plot.

Definately the best book I've read in a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent read, 28 Dec 2009
E. M. Scarrott "Scaz Legend" (Solihull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avalon High (Paperback)
Avalon high was a captivating read, that captured my attention from the first word to the last. The book was a modern day twist on an old legend, which makes this book stand out among the rest. Although the book starts off at a slow pace, it soon hooks you into reading more. I recomended this to all my school friends, and i would recomend this to readers who have read meg cabot books before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific reworking of the Arthurian legend, 1 Feb 2011
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Avalon High (Paperback)
OK I raise my hand this is the first Meg Cabot book I have read. I can hear you gasping.... I know, I know ....I don't know how I have lived this long without reading Meg Cabot either. I pushed this one up my TBR pile because there is a Disney movie being aired on the Disney channel later this month. When I saw the trailer I knew I had to read the book before I saw the movie. Remember I have 3 young girls so that is my *cough* excuse for watching the Disney channel. Plus #1 my oldest daughter has read the Mange version and loves it. Plus #2 it is about King Arthur - I adore stuff about King Arthur/Merlin/The Knights of the Round Table - so how could I not read it.

Written in first person narrative from Ellie's perspective. Wow, did she have such a quirky, fun character. Her parents are both professors of, guess what, medieval studies specialising in the Arthurian legend (especially her mother). Allowing in depth revelations concerning the Arthurian legend intertwined with the plot making it almost three dimensional.

From the very start of the book little plot hints and subtle references to the intricacies of the Arthurian legend are placed throughout the narrative. The writing style is so relatable I felt as if Meg Cabot had tapped into my head to see how I thought. It was wonderfully light yet superbly descriptive, (I am struggling to express myself on this one).

The way in which the Arthurian mythology was woven into the narrative was ingenious, not only was it relatable it was completely believable. The use of the names not only of the characters but of peripheral aspects such as the dog was a mastermind stroke.

All the characters were well developed, had individual character to complement the story and provide realism to the plot and believable interactions. They weren't perfect but even their character flaws gave them a sense of roundness in personality and imagination.

The use of Lord Tennyson's ballad 'The Lady of Shalott' at the start of each chapter which then corresponded with the action in the plot, giving it multiple layers, was inspired and brilliant. I don't know how Meg Cabot managed to do it but it worked fantastically well.

The main theme I found for me within this book was that although we may all have a destiny to fulfill its outcome doesn't have to be dictated to us, in the end it is each individual that is in control of their own destiny and therefore its outcome. You shouldn't conform to anyone's expectations of you but be true to yourself.

Quirky/witty/fun/entertaining. A stroke of pure genius. I heart Meg Cabot. That is all [ : D ]

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: Avalon High (Paperback)
I'm not a child/teenager, but an adult who loves YA stories (yes, my brain got stuck in its teenage phase), and totally loved this book.

In fact, I only had 2 hours sleep last night because I couldn't put it down!!!

Ellie is very funny - the type of person girls would like to be friends with. Will is the typical brooding character Ellie would fall in love with.

Love the weaving in of the legends and the little hints that tell you who Ellie really is.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 18 Jan 2006
This review is from: Avalon High (Paperback)
this book was great, parts of the book were slow but it had an intresting plot line that had some factual meaning to it not one of meg cabots best books but still a good read!
recommended the missing and mediator series

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good but the history was annoying me, 9 July 2008
R. L. Araujo "Bex" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avalon High (Paperback)
This book is perfect if you have very little to no knowledge of the king arthur legends! I enjoyed it all the same but the fact mordred is portrayed as arthurs brother and not his son was a little strange to me and that none of arthurs sisters were in it. Also I already knew alot about the king arthur legends I knew what the "twist" was but its still a really good and enjoyable read with lots of laughs along the way!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Avalon High
Avalon High by Meg Cabot (Paperback - 5 Jan 2007)