5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely child's book that can easily be read again and again
I read this book so many times as a child it is starting to fall apart. The story is charming and has a major twist which will surprise many children. The book is full of Blyton adventure which is sure to be a success with fairly young children (my brother never seemed to really enjoy Enid Blyton stories when he was younger but he loved this book - espically the parrot!).
Published on 24 Jan. 2009 by Shr

3.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories
If you like Blyton then these adventures are fairly good although not, in my view, quite as good as the Famous Five. At least in the Adventure series, the author did not misremember the names of earlier characters.
Published 6 months ago by Rachel

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely child's book that can easily be read again and again, 24 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Island of Adventure (Adventure (MacMillan)) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Adventurous, 14 Oct. 2008
A Kid's Review
My Dad read this to me but it was still very exciting. Its No 1 in the Adventure series, and its probably best to start with this one as its very different to the rest. Its quite scary in parts and you're not sure who the baddie is until the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to childhood, 2 Jan. 2014
It is a shame the book has been changed to be politacly correct, even today both white skinned people and coloured skinned people get onto the wrong side of the law. The alterations to Joe in the current book has lost some of the wonderful descriptive words has lost some of its atmosphere but still a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect entertainment for children, 8 May 2012
These comments apply to the entire 8-book 'Adventure' series. Enid Blyton wrote several hundred books of stories for children, and I would put this series right at the top, even above the more celebrated Famous Five.

With this series, she achieved the perfect balance of interesting characters, gripping plots, and humour. Pre-dating the era of mobile phones and the Internet, she relied on old-fashioned yarns of kids foiling the activities of 'baddies' through resourcefulness beyond their years.

The 8 stories have sufficiently varied plots to maintain interest, and she probably stopped at the right time, before running out of ideas. There isn't a dud among them.

The same basic format ensures that readers are in comfortable surroundings, while intrigued by what lies ahead. The four children arrive home from boarding school, expecting a quiet, even dull holiday - but manage to stumble across a motley collection of smugglers, forgers, gun-runners, kidnappers, and mad scientists. The locations range from Cornwall, England, to the Greek islands, and a mythical central-European country called Tauri-Hessia. There are the usual Blyton staples of secret passageways, brooding castles, and jolly farmers' wives producing enormous meals.

The loquacious parrot Kiki provides a frequent source of amusement, with her malapropisms and imitations of trains, cars, dogs, cats, and gunfire. She is far more entertaining than Timmy, the dog in the Famous Five, and is never overdone.

The four children have distinct personalities, including Philip, whose ability to befriend any animal is frequently exploited by the plots. There are also additional children involved who get very short shrift, if they ever display selfishness or self-pity. The 'good' adults are tolerant and understanding; the baddies are mean, and get their just desserts in the end.

One reviewer mentioned a 4-year old enjoying these, which I would frankly have thought was a bit young; but if you have kids or grandkids aged 6-8, then try them out, either as bedtime stories, or for self-reading. They are old-fashioned in all the best senses, and my 7-year-old, a great book-worm, rates them her all-time favourites - even above a certain bespectacled boy-Wizard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - cover not as shown, 4 Aug. 2014
Fairy Godmother (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I ordered this for our 6 year old who has been having the famous five books for bedtime and loving them. I had forgotten what a truly excellent series this is, and this story in particular. However it is maybe more suitable for 7 to 8 year olds so I am saving it for now and carrying on with the famous five books with him. My copy arrived quite quickly but I was disappointed that the cover is not as shown - it is a more modern cover with more modern children on it - some may prefer this, but I wanted the cover shown, which is a drawing of children rather than a photograph of what appear to be teenagers - my little boy would not relate to that cover as much as the drawing of children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure, 5 July 2014
I hope that I am not the only one who enjoys childhood books. It gave me great pleasure to read an adventure book again. As I remember Enid Blyton is still readable so go ahead and indulge your memories of your childhood. Most of all enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner!!!!, 5 Feb. 2014
Read this book 50 years ago along with other Adventure books! Brilliant.......worth every penny!!!! Recommend it to all ages!!!! Ageless!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Island of Adventure, 10 Feb. 2014
Ms. C. B. Mclaglen "beatrice allen" (Huddersfield, Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love these lesser known Enid Blyton books although now a bit dated, they were all my favourites and the Island of Adventure seemed so grown up to a 7 year old in 1952, read in the Stanley Hotel in Nairobi. I was jumping up and down in the hotel bed with excitment and squealing and could not read it fast enough! Now I am reading it to my second and third grandchild. Thanks Enid, I hate alot of the criticism of her because people forget that she wrote many books that are
not mentioned about English wildlife in streams and in the countryside which informed and educated me. Her racism was of her time. Many people had to be educated about people across the world and thank goodness our attitudes are changing alot- but we are not there yet; re redheads etc from Cynthia Allen McLaglen

3.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, 6 Sept. 2014
I bought the series to read to a young lady who liked hearing them at bed time and I enjoyed the experience of reading them to her much more than the stories themselves. Either way, we both got my money's worth out of them.
Buy them, read them to yourself or another, and the charity shop will find them a new home later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost World., 25 Aug. 2014
Amazon Customer (midlands england) - See all my reviews
Enid Blyton is very special. Her books were part of my growing up. I still enjoy reading them, along with many others. They are a good read and they portray England as it used to be. They are very moral books and yet they are also quite real in portraying kids. Real kids, that is, and not the horrible things we call kids today.

The Island of Adventure (Adventure (MacMillan))
The Island of Adventure (Adventure (MacMillan)) by Enid Blyton (Paperback - 7 Nov. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01