on 1 November 2006
I received this book by mail this morning and it's been such a great day! The book looks fantastic and expensive (but it didn't cost that much!) and is PACKED with fabulous pictures, notes, lyrics, letters and everything you could wish for as a fan of Courtney Love. As you can expect some parts of the journals were extremely sad, but if you're looking for details on Kurt Cobain's death, and Courtney's mourning and breaking into little pieces you will be disappointed. Actually if you're looking for any tabloid stuff you'll be disapponited. Reading this we find images of dignity, talent, hard work, loving mother and beauty, something the media rarely give Courtney credit for. It feels authentic and real, I enjoy(ed) every word of it.
on 12 January 2007
This book is worth a read if you're a big fan of Courtney, but I felt it was a bit substance-less, especially after all the raving reviews I've heard from people. Maybe I'm missing something here. The first half of the book from Courtneys days before fame is pretty interesting. On one level it's predictable, the school reports are telling. On another level it's quite warming to see the kind of scribbles a lot of us wrote as teens. However, the further we get into the book the more filled it becomes with pictures 'taped in', rather than writing, which was a let-down for me. You can google 'Courtney Love' and find the same pictures floating about - I was looking for writings and expression. Reading a diary, I was expecting more expression and/or emotion. As I say, this all tails off by the end - perhaps that in itself is telling of Courtney.

To summarise, if you are a big fan of Courtney you will find large parts of this interesting, and it's a plus that it is a beautifully presented book, but ultimately it leaves you wanting more than what you got. However if you're not especially a fan of her and are expecting to get an interesting read this is probably not worth your money.
VINE VOICEon 12 February 2007
This is a great book, beautifully laid out and really unique. The pages are designed to look like a scrap book and you really feel like you are grtting an insight into Courtney's private thoughts and crazy mind!

The stuff from her early years, including school reports is really interesting and insightful and she writes well beyond her years. On one of my favourite pages (pg. 23)is something she wrote about death and is really moving especially when you realise she was so young to have such deep thoughts. She writes that "when i die, burn my body, take my ashes... let some linger in the breeze... leaving only all the love my heart has carried"

Also there are some really great, quirky photographs of her and Kurt. They make you feel like your looking in on private moments, especially of those with their daughter as a baby.

I agree with other reviewers who say this book lacks substance, if you are looking for a book with 'all the answers' then you will not find it here but for me and for anyone else intrigued by this fascinating woman then this book is excellent and the quirky pages will keep you mesmerized for hours.
on 10 August 2010
dont know what to say about this book really...i can only read parts of it...given that i do not believe for a minute that that is her hand writing printed on the book why couldnt they use a Font that was easy enough to read?

the parts i could read are very interesting though...love courtney!
on 5 April 2013
I'm a big Courtney Love fan so I really wanted this book but I expected more, a lot it is random things and I thought it would have more written parts from Courtney in it, there are some cool pictures and scrap notes, and it's a good item if you're a big fan of hers though.
on 13 October 2007
As a huge fan of Love's since the early 90's i was both excited at the prospect of a visual scrapbook type affair and perhaps the sneak peak of a few pictures we hadn't already seen.

Sadly all i found in this book was mostly illegible scrawlings - a tiny handful of real diary entries and mostly random half finished poems, statements, messy lyrics. Nothing too gripping. Infact personally the only interesing insight i found in this book was the collection of all the early hole posters Love created and some of the few real diary entries from around this time at very start of her music career.

Also all the factual scans of her school reports amongst other things were nothing already pre-published in the Poppy Z Brite biography.

Love shows very little of her true self in this book - also something i can't quite put my finger on, and this leaves you feeling disappointed. I can completely understand wanting to retain some privacy, but this books serves up nothing you didn't already know, hardcore fan or not. And thats if you can spend enough time squinting to make out what her scribbles actually say.

Overall, nice pictures, nice to flick through. But it has unltimately ended up on my shelf gathering dust.
on 31 August 2014
Great purchase haven't been able to put it down. A captivating collection of personal memoirs & a glimpse into the life of the enigma that is Courtney Love. Great service from the seller, rapid dispatch & excellent comms - would recommend.
on 24 February 2013
If you are into the whole mystery surrounding Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain, this is an absolute must-have! I was really impressed by the book...The quality of the paper, notes and pictures. BUY IT!
on 23 January 2012
This diary was very inspiring for me. The book is bigger than I expect and also is a well designed.
I think Courtney Love is amazing person.
on 28 November 2013
Exactly what you'd expect, very pretty to look and quality paper, excited for the autobiography next month would reccomend a look