5.0 out of 5 stars Beers galore ...
The first of Pete's books I read was 'Hops & Glory'. On having finished that I moved straight on to this book, and after the high I felt from the former, the latter has been equally enthralling.

Published on 17 Sept. 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Half full or half empty
Published 20 months ago by zigzag

5.0 out of 5 stars Beers galore ..., 17 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Three Sheets To The Wind: One Man's Quest For The Meaning Of Beer (Paperback)

I've travelled a lot, lived outside of the UK for years, enjoyed beers wherever I've gone, but it's only having read Pete's books that I've started to look at beer worldwide in a completely new light. Pete invites us to savour beer, to enjoy what it's offering us (as long as it's not from Budweiser in the US) in terms of colour, aroma, flavour, social lubrication, etc.

This book has made me want to travel again, to go back to some of those places that I've been (many of which Pete visits) and to re-assess what I experienced there.

Bravo, a wonderful piece of beery travel writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beer Abroad, 10 Dec. 2007
I picked this up fearing some kind of Bill Bryson-with-booze comedy travelogue but was pleasantly surprised. Brown is a man who is clearly enchanted with beer and it's importance in our social history and contemporary culture both at home and abroad. He travels to various cities in countries renowned for their inhabitants' love of beer - Ireland, Denmark, America, Australia etc., to see how they do things there and why. He explores the differences in approach to beer-brewing, consumption and related folklore in foreign lands - and also the similarities many of us will recognize. It's actually a tricky premise for a novel in that it could come over as a dusty work of sociology or end up like Pete McCarthy's jokey, shallow, over-rated "McCarthy's Bar". But Brown pulls it off with fresh writing, genuine wit, telling insight and above all a great affinity for the places he visits and the people he meets. My one quibble would be with the bits of dialogue with friends at the outset of the early chapters which read as bit studenty and unfunny. Intended to provide the author with a justification device for his travels, they just annoy.
That's a small complaint however about an otherwise excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Jan. 2008
Anyone enjoys beer (responsibly of course)and drinking should read this book. Not only is it funny and well written, but it also highlights a very important point thats relevant to our country. Why can every other country in the world get drunk and not start fighting?
This is one of those books that you are truly gutted about it ending.
I can't recommend this book enough, also try 'Man walks into a pub' a very close second in the beer related book chart!

4.0 out of 5 stars Whatever he's having., 14 Mar. 2007
A. Miles (Al Khor, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
On the very barest of excuses, our man Pete embarks on a 3 month international pub crawl and tells you about it. An unpromising premise, but this is packed with enough insight, history and entertaining anecdote to make the journey worthwhile. I was hoping for a bit more of an insight into beer drinking other than it being good for relaxing and socialising, but he was probably a bit hungover by the time he got to that bit. I don't drink beer but the book has made me book a trip to Belgium this summer to check his recommendations out.

4.0 out of 5 stars The truth about beer, 31 May 2007
Pete Brown wants to see whether there is a common thread that links beer drinkers worldwide, so he travels to those places where that honourable tradition is most respected, namely Madrid, Barcelona, Prague, London, Dublin, Brussels, Milwaukee, New York, Portland, Sydney, Penrith, Melbourne, Bendigo, Shanghai, Tokyo, Munich, Copenhagen, Helsingr, Sweden and...Barnsley. As you might expect there are some amusing adventures to be had, but the book is well worth reading for two other reasons. Firstly, it makes an irresistible travel guide and will make you desperate to re/visit a few places immediately (namely Barcelona, Madrid, Portland (!) and the Oktoberfest)and secondly, it manages to come to an important conclusion about beer; it's magical stuff that is essential for the continued sanity and sociality of all good cultures, and as a result every Pro-nanny state MP should be force-fed it's contents. This is no beardy, CAMRA lovers guide by the way...its about the feeling beer gives you. Beers in!

3.0 out of 5 stars Half full or half empty, 22 Aug. 2013
zigzag (Warwickshire England) - See all my reviews
After about 100 pages of this book I was really enjoying it and already planning to buy other books by Mr Brown to read as soon as Id finished this one. But I feel that the subject matter here is just too narrow as by page 200 I feeling that each chapter was just more of the same in a different country (and this bloke does seem to know an extraordinary number of people around the world who he can bunk up with). By page 300 I had decided that I wasnt going to get any more of Mr Browns books, and Im now so bored to tears with the same story in different countries that Im not sure I have the stomach to reach the end.

The book is lightly writtem is enjoyable to start with, but just goes on for too long with only a limited subject matter to deal with.

Maybe Mr Brown should try to just write a light travel book without limiting himself by the subject (in this case beer).

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise your glasses to....Mr Pete Brown, 11 Sept. 2014
I was looking for a book to take on this year's holiday to Spain, a piece of travel writing rather than a travel guide, and coming across 'Three Sheets to the Wind', it was only a moment or two before I realised it was the same Pete Brown who had written the wonderful 'Shakespeare's Local' about the history of the 'George Inn' in Shoreditch. So the deal was done, and I knew I was going to enjoy this. In fact by the time I came to my visit to Alicante, I had already finished the chapter on Spain and the Spanish beer culture, but it didn't matter, because Mr Brown had still got to take in Ireland, Czech Republic, Belgium, Australia, the United States, Japan, Germany, Denmark....oh and his native Barnsley! Rest assured, this is no boring tome that will only be of interest to those who are interested in the intricacies of the brewing process, this is first and foremost about the enjoyment of beer, and how national identities and cultures are forged by it. And to reiterate a point: when I say beer, I don't mean just real ale, as lager, stouts, fruit beers and pils are given their due reverence too. It is as much a piece of travel writing, taking in history, architecture, politics, brewing dynasties, economics and cuisine. It's also a sly satire on brewing conglomerate 'Anheuser-Busch' ('where making friends is our business!') who appear more or less throughout the book as a running joke/villain and mark Mr Brown out as a satirist to rival the great Michael Moore.
Of course, you'll probably get the most out of this book if beer is your tipple of choice, and it's actually quite hard to read without wanting to have a glass of whatever he's drinking at the time to reach, (I popped out to the supermarket on more than one occasion to hunt down various bottles, despite what he says about drinking on your own) and furthermore a lot of pleasure I gained from it was because I've visited many of the countries already and drunk in one or two of the same bars as he has (well, it feels like I have anyway!). Just as 'Shakespeare's Local' made me go and visit the 'George Inn' you'll want to book a flight as soon as possible - I've got to go to Germany's 'Oktoberfest' and 'Nyhavn' in Denmark before I die!..If I did have a of quibble, I'd say it would have been nice to have had some photographs of him on his various nights out across the globe. This is a book you'll want to share with friends (like a beer!) and it's already on this year's Christmas list for my good friend in Belgium Mr Herwig Six.
Oh, and the final chapter, which is a bit like the last drink in the local after everyone else has jst left, is simultaneously depressing, poignant and uplifting. So here's to you Mr Brown...

3.0 out of 5 stars made me laugh, but, 23 Feb. 2013
Albie (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
In places in the book Pete Brown made me smile, with his descriptions of the bars he visited and the people he met. But, I'm sorry to say, I just got bored with all the talk of beer and breweries eventually and never quite got to the end. For me, the variety of topics was just too limited but beer aficianados would appreciate it. I'd prefer him to write an out and out travel book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheers, 27 Mar. 2013
A well written and very entertaining explanation of why my waistline is expanding. Can be read with or without a glass in hand.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair read, 21 Feb. 2014
A fair read but in the end a bit self-indulgent (but there again an international pub-crawl was always going to be wasn't it).

Much preferred Shakespeare's Local (and aim to read A Man Walks Into A Pub soon)

Three Sheets To The Wind: One Man's Quest For The Meaning Of Beer