‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written, 22 Dec. 2006
Master T. Knott "Ghostdog64" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
These are easily the best books i have read in its genre, as they are a brilliant mix of betrayal, love, religion clashes, war and fantasy, which the author manages to pull off successfully.

The book series follows a boy from childhood to adulthood while he falls in love with the beautiful Kaede and gradually rises from his humble beginnings to someone more powerful and out of character.

The reason i am reviewing the whole set instead of just one by one is that it is hard to read just one of the books without reading the next or the next. I have just started reading the 4th in the series (recently come out) and when i look back i realise i cannot tell one book from the other, they just merge to together, which is a great compliment, as some other books often feel a bit disjointed.

My favourite thing is how beautifully written these books are, Lian Hearn really knows what she is talking about as she bases her story around medieval Japan while adding fantasy to fact effectively.

So if you are into this genre of fantasy with action, love and betrayal involved then i can thoroughly recommend this series of books as i have not had any disappointments yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars very very good!, 24 Feb. 2007
A. Price - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
these books were utterly engrossing...whenever i put them down i was so dissapointed it wasnt real! i read them all in 2 days..they are enchanting..the imagery is incredible and i feel in love with the characters. an actual must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books for older children AND adults, 8 Aug. 2008
CJ (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
The first of these books was chosen as one of our book club reads and the other two I bought as soon as they came out in hardback. Truly wonderful storytelling, compelling and spellbinding. My own teenage children devoured them too after I'd finished with them. I now buy the set for god-children and nephews/nieces as presents but as they are quite explicitly gory and violent in parts I do aim to be age-appropriate. I haven't yet read the last two in the series (there are two more after this - the Harsh Cry of the Heron and Heaven's Net is Wide) but they are on my TBR pile for sure. I highly recommend these books just as much for adults as for older children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this now, 25 April 2006
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
I was spell-bound and read all three books in under a week. What I experienced left me emotionally drained and gasping for more...if you are looking for a good book, don't just buy one book, buy all three of these. Hearn writes with incredible beauty and this trilogy spins out spectacularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori must be read!, 25 April 2006
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
The tales of the Otori are brilliant from beginning to end. I couldn't stop reading these three books. These are definetly some of my favourite books, no doubt. It's a little like "Gifts" from Ursula Le Guin with clans, but waaaaaaay better. I cannot wait for the other two tales of the otori which lean hearn said she is working on in her website, but it is not certain that they will be published. One will be about Shigeru's past, a sort of prequel, and the other about Takeo after the Brilliance of the Moon. I'm also looking forward to the movies.

But the Tales of the Otori are must-reads!

5.0 out of 5 stars These are not for kids!! Let us have them, 26 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
I can't believe these books are children's books. I had a few looks when I had these on my desk at work - the titles and grpahics made a few of my colleagues think I was reading some trash. But then I told them what they were about and all of them were intrigued. So incredibly violent, touching, beautifully written, I think this is my favourite children's trilogy along with His Dark Materials. If only the world could go mad for these like Harry Potter! Its like comparing Altrincham with Man United.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! Just brilliant!, 9 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
This trilogy of books is absolutely stunning! I've enjoyed reading it and they are now some of my favourite books. I would recommend this to anyone who is an avid fantasy or Japan-style book reader.

I found that once I started reading that I couldn't put the book down, the description that Hearn uses is 'just so' and conjures up vivid images in your head. These books are intensely sad, and bring a tear to your eye at some points, but conversely they are the epic tale of love that is so heart warming and delightful that it makes up for the sad times.

They are a very exciting set of books, with battles and wars that make you cheer on Takeo even though he is a fictional character, and you feel very satisfied when he gets his revenge.

As you can probably tell I have enjoyed these books hugely, and I would recommend them to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars grips you and does not let you go, 7 Aug. 2009
A. Ponomarev (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
It's much more of real Japan here than medieval myths and difficult names for a Western ear - rather it is an exciting blend of coming-of-age story mixed with fantasy and romance. Should come with a warning - once you get into the story, it is difficult to put the book down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read so far, 26 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
I purchased this trilogy after reading reviews and I am far from dissappointed.

These books are very different from anything I would usually read however I am completely captivated by them. I have just finished the first two within the last week and can't wait to get started on the third.

I don't want to give too much of the story away so will keep it brief.

A young boy is found in forest after his family perish during an attack on their village. He is adopted by a warrior lord and so the story of loyalty, treachery, love and revenge begins. The writing is very descriptive and you feel as though you are invloved in the story, standing to one side watching it all play out.

I plan to purchase more noves by Lian Hearn once I have completed these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars tales of the otori <3, 27 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Tales of the Otori Trilogy (Perfect Paperback)
Brilliant, Brutal. I read 'across the nightiongale floor' not expecting much I was mostly just reading because I had nothing much to do at the time however it became one of the few books I really couldn't put down when I reimerging from my reading frenzy however I was far from satisfied the ending provided at the finish of this the first book simply wasnt adiquate how could Lian Hearn be mean enough to leave readers like that? Needless to say I proceeded to finish the next two books in the series which aleviated my suffering somewhat as they are also both brilliant but beware anyone who is considering reading these; no matter how many are written and how many times yoyu read them you will never feel completely satisfied. I.....just.....want......MORE!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Tales of the Otori Trilogy
The Tales of the Otori Trilogy by Lian Hearn (Perfect Paperback - 2 Sept. 2005)
Used & New from: £21.10